QuittingAdderall.com Forums

6 Weeks and Suddenly Depressed

KatieG

Hi everyone,

I happened upon this website when I suddenly discovered that my doctor was going to be away for a few weeks and I couldn't get a prescription for my Adderall (20 mg regular release). It was a Thursday, I had two pills left, and I couldn't see another doctor until Tuesday. I took half a pill for the next 4 days, and was amazed that I was doing ok. I got a new prescription, but it's been 6 weeks and 2 days since I took a pill. I've mostly been doing ok (even ran a half marathon a week and a half ago!), but I definitely have more trouble thinking straight. For the past two days, however, I've been really depressed. I don't know if it's just because my 23 month old is away visiting his grandparents for the first time so I'm spending a few days without him, if it's the Adderall, or what. It's been bad enough for me to consider going back on it. I really don't want to start taking it again if I don't really need it, but I know it really does help me so I'm not sure if I should stay off of it. I could use some advice and encouragement at the moment. For those of you who have gone off of it, did you get really depressed a few weeks out? Did it get better?

Thanks in advance,

Katie

Hi Katie,

Congrats on the half-marathon! That had to be been fun!

For me, depression was a major issue after quitting Adderall. In time I learned to just sort of roll with the depression spells and push through them when I could. I was always convinced though that my depression was reactionary depression. Like, I always felt that there were specific reasons for it and if I could conquer those reasons I could lift the depression. Turns out, I was half right.

I haven't had a depressive spell in a while now, and for this I credit two things:

1. I made enough positive changes in my life and eliminated a lot of the issues that were causing me to get depressed.

2. I've been taking a high-dose of top-grade Omega 3 and DHA supplements every day for the last 3 months. I'm very skeptical of supplements having any noticeable affect, but I keep doing the math and it keeps seeming like the Omega 3 is doing what it claims to...balancing out my mood in a very subtle and gradual way.

In your case, if you're going to try sticking it out off Adderall for a little while longer, a little depression here and there is to be expected...it should pass. And I would definitely wait until your baby gets back, and see if that helps. Because a key part of dealing with depression is recognizing reactionary depression (depression that has a tangible source) so you can work to reduce it by eliminating the events (or the attitudes) that cause the depression.

If after eliminating all of the depression triggers that you can you still have cyclic depression spells (you don't have a reason to be depressed, but you are anyway every so often) then you have to work at that in kind of a different way.

At least, that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

• Like 1