QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Wierd Smells

Lost It

I am 36 hours clean, and I am finally eating and breathing normally.

I quit years ago and swore never to start again, until a friend put a large sum of money in my hand, to see my doctor again, for him. Well, my will vanished when I had them in my hands. I get ridiculous amounts, 120 20mg XR and 120 10mg IR. Seven months later, I lost my mind again.

It all started with a mildew smell. I couldn't find it's source and I became obsessive. I don't smell it anymore, in my home, work may be another story. I'm curious if anyone has encountered this before? I need closure on this smell :).

This is an amazing resource.

I would constantly smell mildew, ammonia, and urine. I thought maybe I was hallucinating, or maybe I wasn't and I was the source of the smell. I became fearful I smelt like one of the three things, I mentioned above. I began buying large quantities of shoes and clothing, in the instance I smelled. I would carry around a bag, at work and other places, with an extra pair of identical clothing and shoes to change into. I was showering three times a day - scrubbing my skin off. I really fell into a crazy state when I could smell ketchup more than ten feet away. At this point, I was positive I was the source of this god aweful smell.

I did a poor job of explaining, in my first post. I am having issues communicating my toughts, currently. So does adderall make people smell or was I hallucinating? I should probably just let this go or it may mess with me more.

This is my take:

It sounds like hypervigilance (regarding smell) triggered by amphetamine psychosis, combined with the actual physical effects of amphetamine.

In other words -- Adderall probably did increase your body oder, but quite possibly nowhere *near* as much as you thought it did.

Sweat is somewhat similar to urine (in particular, it contains some amount of urea, though much less than in urine). Sweat can also contain ammonia, usually *very* small concentrations, although this can increase substantially with a low-carb / high-protein diet.

When amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) are broken down into glucose for energy, one common by-product is ammonia. Ammonia (fairly toxic) is usually converted into urea (less toxic) via the liver and expelled primarily through urine. But when there's an abundance of ammonia -- too much to turn into urea -- the body expels it via sweat.

Amphetamines dehydrate you *and* can make you sweat more. Dehydration causes more concentrated sweat and urine (less water) ==> more smell.

To reiterate, I'd postulate that Adderall indirectly caused you to smell more (via dehydration / possibly odd diet), and directly (via excess sweating), and additionally made you overfocused and obsessive about the smell, quite possibly to the point of blowing its severity way out of proportion.

Thank you very much, Gonzo. What a solid explanation, for what was taking place. I can't believe I hadn't found this, during my scouring on the internet.

I fit this definition so well. I was too aware of individuals' body language and my hearing was above par. If I heard an individual sniffle, I was able to listen in on their conversation extremely well. These conversation were mostly whispers, and at an excess of ten feet away, I was listening like I was part of the conversation.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say I smell it all the time but the dehydration makes my pee smell like ammonia and sometimes I smell the smell just because. I know this is something very wrong going on in my body. You are not crazy... the dehydration factor makes that crazy smell and it kind of makes your whole aura, breath, etc have a strange smell.

• 8 months later...

Update: I'm seven months off adderall. What a crazy journey it was. I get no more strange smells and feel normal. The only difficult part is seeing my girlfriend's stash, but I look good these days and just remind myself how skinny I would get if it started again.

• Like 1