QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Life is..... dull

Dustin

Has anyone else realized that life is incredibly boring without adderall. Nothing is interesting, exciting, or nearly as fun. I hardly see the point of going to work or even getting out of bed. Why work if I'm most content laying in bed with the lights off? I see no reason to do anything other than eat and lay in bed. My prescription can be refilled on Monday, whats the point of fighting it when life is nothing other than dull when sober?

Life feels very dull for awhile. I'm 6 months off of adderall, and I still struggle with it, but it improves with time. Your dopamine levels are shot when you cut off the adderall, because it produces ridiculous amounts of it, and it takes time for your brain to even out. Living life in a overstimulated state isn't a good life, because you begin to enjoy ridiculous tasks rather than the natural things of substance in life. I don't know your story, but I assume you're on this site reaching out for a reason. If you really want life sober from adderall, don't expect much from yourself for awhile. It's normal to feel like shit, but I'm here to tell you, after being an adderall fiend for 7 years, it's possible and worth the quit.

I love how on point this is when I run out. I always tell myself the same shit pretty much, just worded a bit differently. It's weird though because you have to think of how seemingly "real" the good of it can make you feel when you were just at your lowest, but how real it has to feel the opposite way if you were sober without it. your mind fucks with you when it withdraws.

Dustin,

It might help you to read stories or websites about quitting meth, or to go to a crystal meth anonymous meeting. Quitting meth is the same as quitting Adderall in terms of the withdrawal and side effects, and ironically there's so much more help out there for quitting illegal speed as opposed to prescription speed. One of my best friends did meth for two years, and he can totally relate to everything I've experienced - the depression, anhedonia, boredom, etc. Those side effects heal with time. It took me about six months before I started feeling glimpses of happiness and hope again. Remember that you're doing this to get your soul and spirit back, and for that it's worth enduring a really crappy year.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle with the boredom every day. Everything seems so damn monotonous and dull. I fee empty inside and wonder what the point of everything is and why I don't just go back on the addy But then my friends/family tell me that I'm so much better. So I tell myself something must be improving? I guess part of the appeal of the adderall was that it added that excitement and intrigue to the most boring tasks, because I crave that rush.

Don't really have an answer to this, just that I empathize. The only thing keeping me from going back is remembering how horrid I felt on the adderall. No sleep, paranoid, that tweaked out feeling. At least now I feel more like myself.

I totally understand the boredom and feelings of monotony. I was talking to someone about this recently, and they said something so blatantly obvious, but I hadn't even thought of it. She said, "life isn't always fun. In fact, it is just boring a lot of days."

This struck me because had I never taken adderall, I wouldn't know the difference. Adderall gave me the ability to find pleasure in the most mundane activities: vacuuming, googling things, laundry, games on my phone. I look back now and see how unnatural and actually disturbing it was. I, too, struggle a lot with the boredom with 6 months off of it, but I guess this is real life. The longer I'm away from adderall, the more natural every day life will seem---or so I hope.

When I avoided people and social situations so I could clean or sit in my room by myself and basically do nothing, I knew there was a problem.

I think we'll all feel better in our own time and find pleasure in the healthy things in life. Cheers to being adderall-free one day at a time :)

• Like 1