QuittingAdderall.com Forums

please hear me out and give advice!!

canes2315

Hey Guys,

Ok so let me start by saying I am new on here, found this website by googling "how to stop being dependent on adderall". Before i start talking about my situation let me say I am a Biochemistry/biology major and want to go to either pharmacy school or medical school.

I am a 22 year old male, I have been prescribed adderall since 3rd grade but never really took it consistently until college. I take anywhere from 45-60 mg a day but never over 60. (my old doctor retired and the new doctor in the same office doesnt really help, just writes the prescription)I only take it when i go to class (4 days a week) or when im studying for my classes (5-6 days a week), so i feel like im not addicted to it where I have the urge to take it everyday but I AM dependent on it for school and I think im ready for that to come to an end. I cant stand not eating and losing tons of weight (not to mention, i think taking it at such a young age stunt my growth, but thats too late to fix and besides the point). Like I said im 22 years old, im 5'5" and weight 130 pounds. I want to bulk up and put on weight and get into a good exercise/weight lifting routine, but that cant happen on adderall. My social life has turned upside down. Adderall totally changes my personality, i feel like it makes me kind of socially awkward, i want to experience college and meet new people and make new friends, but it seems like that cant happen on adderall.

Now the problem is, since my major is hard and the pre reqs for my career path are difficult and require ALOT of studying, im scared that if i stop taking adderall my A's and B's will go to C's D's and F's. Does anyone have advice at all? i appreciate you reading this and responding. Thank you guys!

Hey Canes,

I am a 24 year old 3rd Year Exercise Science Major at a Major Pharmacy school, and I know exactly how you feel. I hate adderall for making me depend on it to be able to focus, study, and do my work for my classes. I hate it for making it seem like I need it to feel normal, and then when I take it I just act all nervous and socially awkward. So I understand your problem about not wanting to take it but worrying about the academic consequences that might have for your future. Its a really hard fucking choice. Well, it depends on how you look at it I guess, some people might call it a really simple choice. You either...

A. Decide that the cons outweigh the pros on the scale of measuring adderall's place in your life, so you let go, take a chance, quit taking adderall altogether, and do the best you can to survive college and make good grades without it.

OR

B. Decide that your future and career are too important to risk losing just because adderall gives you unwanted side effects and holds you back from having much of a social life in college. So you decide to keep taking it to get through school even though sometimes you really wish you did not need it just to get by in college.

Obviously, both decisions have consequences. I wish I could promise you that you will still do good in school without it and you will be able to get your social life back, but I can't because I don't know if it is true. All I can say is that you are not alone in having to make this choice, and it can be a really frustrating way to live.

P.S. I don't understand all these people (guys mostly) who blame adderall for their failure to eat meals. I admit that adderall decreases appetite to the point of tempting you to just skip meals, but just because eating is not as pleasurable does not mean you can't eat. I work out every week and I still gain muscle mass. I just have to force myself to still eat three meals a day so my body gets what it needs to rebuild itself and build muscle. It may not be as enjoyable, but I still get all the food down..

Just because adderall makes you not hungry IS NOT AN EXCUSE to not eat meals. Just eat anyway because you know that is the only way you will get bigger..

• Like 1

------- canes2315 and John256 ---- Hay my brother I am a old school guy what I am offering you is some wisdom it sounds like you are calling out for some advice well her it is I am 14 days clean after 5 6 years of 60 to 90 ml xr a day in my case I needed to get of the junk cold turkey because I was abusing the drug and mixing it with xanex and alcohol a very bad combination my death wash knocking at my door . For you my brother her is my advice to you it dos not sound like you are abusing this drug it sounds like it has got you thru school all these years I believe you needed adderall for focus. You have bin on this junk most of your life your tolerant level is playing with you right now its just a mater of time it happens to everyone that takes adderall long term . I think you need this drug to get you true your schooling right now so what I am suggesting is you cut back your dose in half only take adderal when you need to study and that’s it do not do not take adderall to enhance your Social Life

it dos not work it will jest zombie you out . Again use the drug for what it is intended for to increase your focus so you can study better NOTE there will come a time in your life when you will need to make a dissension to get off the junk completely I think now is not the time for you butt remember what I said do not abuse this drug because you will not win the fight this drug will win every time. Aim doing better I do not have the erg to use the junk any more it was a very hard fight for me I won round one my problem now is I am in a black hole of depression Wright now which is my battle now hopefully I will win the next round also Fell free to e mail me if you like some support your Friend

FALCON

Your As and Bs won't go to Ds. Those are the people who just don't do the work. My advice, take it slow and pace yourself with college. In 5 or 10 years, it will not matter one bit if you took 12 hours a semester when all your friends took 14 or 16. And no, despite what some of your professors may say or insinuate, college isn't the real world and you aren't going to fail at life if you don't work yourself stupid doing a bunch of their BS which, let's face it, ends up in the trash can at the end of the semester anyways. Professors aren't exactly my favorite group of people, and my opinion is defineately biased, but a lot of them are there because they're such incompetent jerks that couldn't get it done on the outside.

Developing your social skills and intelligence is way more important to your future success than the grade you got in O Chem lab.

Take a vacation at the end of the semester and leave the pills at home. If you're stimulated enough exploring some place new, you'll hardly notice them. You can start the next semester at a lower dose or try not taking them regularly. 60 mgs/day is kind of a lot and after several years they just won't do much for you except make you feel old.... and angry... all the time.

canes, I can relate very very well with you situation. I am a 22-year-old male pre-med student and I quit Adderall about 5 months ago. You have what it takes and it is very rewarding in the end, but I still struggle everyday. Don't expect it to be easy. I wish I could say more, but I have a Biomechanics test tomorrow I need to study for. I have learned to conserve more energy for study and less energy for forums :) There is no better time to quit than now. The other reason I haven't said much is because I don't know how serious you are about quitting. A lot of people aren't willing to take the time and make the sacrifices to quit. If you need help message me and I'll try to get back to you. Good luck man.

HIGHONLIFE YOO !! how are you doing HIGHONLIFE I have Ben reading your post sounds like you are far into your recovery well my brother I have a question for you. Your 5 mounts clean now when do you get some fuckin energy back I am so dame tierd the worst part of my day is getting up in the morning I am a fuckin ZAMBEE. I have 3 cups of coffee in about 1 hours time then I need to take a nap for about 30 or 45 minutes before getting out off the hous at about 1030 am what’s wrong whit this picture bro. I’m jest asking for your expereance about the deferent stages of recovery that I can expect. If any other Advenced members would like to share there experience I would be grateful.

THE FALCON 24 dayes CLEAN

Falcon,

My early recovery period lasted ABOUT TEN WEEKS. Some days were better than others, but it was in that 10-12 week period post-adderall that I finally felt some sustained energy returning. And even then, it was not without a lot of help from coffee, tea, redbull, and 5hourenergy shots. I also found some energy pills at GNC that I took when I felt like I needed to get my energy from a pill as well. Multivitamins and fishoil and L-tyrosine too. I slept more than I do now and I had an incredibly hard time staying up past 9:30 (but I would wake up at the crack of dawn) and I don't consider myself a morning person. Do whatever you gotta do to get that energy you need to get through each day. Just don't get it from drugs or abuse alcohol to help you deal with early recovery.

Same here. It took about three months before I had physical energy again, and mental energy gradually returned after that. I also went to bed most nights at 9pm and woke up at 6am, despite never being a morning person before. Take some weekend trips, go to concerts or museums. Anything to help stimulate your brain in a novel way will be a welcome distraction. Accept that this is going to be a really crappy first year sober - it will be so much better after that first year if you can just get through it and not give up.