QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Need Advice and Support

KatieK1986

Hi everyone,

I have been taking Adderall for about 2 years and have decided to quit. While Adderall has helped me greatly the past couple of years, I feel like I have lost part of myself. I feel like I have become more serious, instead of the goof that I once was. Adderall has brought on more anxiety than I used to have, but the benefits of Adderall always outweighed the anxiety for me.... until now. I have finished grad school, moved to a new location and started my career. I want to begin my life without Adderall.

Adderall has actually been my little, dark secret. Other than my shrink, no one knows that I have been taking it (not even my boyfriend). I come from a family that is very against medication unless it is used for life or death. I fear my boyfriend would judge me for it, because he hates ADHD drugs. It has been the only thing I have kept from him. I hate this dark secret and I want to live life without it. I feel like I am at a place in my life where I can persevere through it without the drug... or at least try.

Now I am wondering what the best way to step down is. Because I moved, I no longer have a doctor. My shrink just closed his practice as well. My daily regimen for taking Adderall was 20mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon. I have cut back to only taking the 20mg pills this past week. I have been sluggish, but haven't stepped back up. I am wondering what the best way to step down with 5mg IR pills would be? I have about 20 of those left. I have also been taking multivitamins every day to help give me something.

Any advice? I am scared (terrified, really) of this new transition and would love some advice and/or support as I have no one to talk to about it.

Thank you.

KatieK1986

Hi K, K welcome to are little club getting off of adderall 101. It is day 19 for me when I got clean read my store on why I guit aderall you will read some hard shit on this forum. Well lets start giving you the support you are asking for. Everyone has secrets I do not char whom it is Even your boy friend has his own little secrets trust me.

Even our beloved president has a skeletons in the closet. Katie first of all your head is in the Wright place. I can tell by reading your post and my intuition tells me so. As far as you getting off the junk you are making the right decision by Quitting. The question is how to get clean it sounds like you do not useing a very high dos of adderall compared to the post I have been reading so getting off the drug will not be as hard as you think. You already made your first step by deciding you what to get clean you should be congratulated for this. If you want to do the cold turkey method I think you will have a pretty genital crash landing I do suggest that you tell your employer You need two days off of work to take care of some family maters two days off of work and the weekend this will give you 4 full days to crash land. Or you can do your 5 mlg two times a day Intel you run out of the shit I sincerely think you will be O K Katie . Is far is your boy friend is concerned I would let the cat out of the bag talk to him let him know what you are all about I believe honesty is truly the best . I think it’s the best way to deal with your situation. If he dos not understand then baby he is not the man for you because it will be a climes into the future with him and how your relationship would be like with him move on find someone with more compaction in there heart you deserve it. You worked hard to get where you are now in your carrier. Last comment DO not be jugded you did noting wrong. THE FALCON

The Falcon has some good advice for you, Katie. Go cold turkey with a few pills in reserve, but not where you can get to them easily. This should lessen the anxiety of being completely without. Then you can flush the stash when you are well into your recovery, on YOUR terms. The Falcon says honesty is best when it comes to the boyfriend, and I kind of agree but I don't think you need to just spill your guts about an adderall addiction UNLESS your behavior off adderall is a 180 from being on the shit and you need to explain why you are acting differently. If he asks tell the truth and you don't need to make more lies to explain something as positive as freeing yourself from an addiction.

K K keep on the path your going on your step down method is working. Your symptoms are all normal chronic fatigue is all part of getting clean we all experienced it . Don’t give in stick to the plan you described to us on your forum. Your almost there baby don’t forget you still have the drug in your system you need to clear it out of your body completely before you see the benefits. Don’t weary about getting fatter exercise will take care of that issue when your ready. Try to control your eating habits getting off adderall makes you hungry if you get the munches eat fruit and vegetables all ways have it ready with you at all times trust me K K you will have your Natural energy return to you very soon, THE FALCON

Can anyone tell us how long it typically takes to feel normal again? I haven't been taking it daily, but on days I don't take it, I too get sluggish, and want to take a long nap in the afternoon. Any feedback on when to expect to come out of the fog after stopping completely?

• 1 month later...

Well, I came back to this thread to see when the last time I took Adderall was...about a month ago. It's been about a month since I've had any of the drug and I feel like absolute shit still! I've put on about 10+ pounds and I'm not even eating a lot. My metabolism is probably shot. I have NO energy to do anything. I have felt a little depressed and I have ZERO interest in everything. This worries me because I have no interest in my job anymore and I'm hoping it's due to not taking Adderall. I have been taking the Tyrosine and multi-vitamin every day. I had a complete physical for work the other day and my heart is fine, which eased my mind. I hate that these side effects haven't gone away. I never abused the drug and I'm still suffering through this and it sucks!

/rant

Hey KK welcome back to the forum its good to heir you are a mount clean now . It is all good you are on track tierd no motivation depression its all part of the recovery process don’t worry. I am 70 days clean now and I still have all the symptoms you are describing from what I am understanding it takes 6 to 9 mounts to get your natural energy levels back .You and I will jest need to tuff it out. Hang in there you have bin clean for 30 days please don’t relapse stick to our game plan . I am very familiar with depression it has become part of my life I have clinical depression for 20 years now. If you do not get some relief from your depression in 30 more days you may need to temporally take a antidepressant drug something like wellbutran is a great drug for quitting adderal it has a slit stimulating affect it bumping up dopamine levels keep on posting let use know how you are doing FALCON