QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Adderall in the news

ashley6

I love how this is still 'news' to people. Adderall has been abused on college campuses since the 1930s (back then it was called Benzedrine), yet somehow the media newly discovers this phenomenon every six months. Talk about lazy journalism. Where's the headline, "Students don't stop taking Adderall after college and become amphetamine-addicted working adults" ? Because that's the real world. I'm sorry, but "College students using adderall to study for tests" is just the same tired half-assed story rehashed over and over again by lazy media outlets.

Cassie,

I agree with you. I almost didn't post this because I felt the same way. It was more in-depth than what this showed, and it did talk about the depression when stopping. I wish news outlets would focus more on the addiction model of adderall not just for college students, because we know it's far from being the only demographic affected. It talked about how easily and over-prescribed it is and how tolerance becomes a major issue. I just think any exposure is better than none.

Aside from addiction post college, if you were writing about Adderall for a mainstream media outlet, what would you say or want to have said? I've been presented with the opportunity to do so and I'm considering it although I'd have to attach my name to it, so I'm hesitant. I definitely have my own opinions on what needs to be said but it would be great to get input from others as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love how this is still 'news' to people. Adderall has been abused on college campuses since the 1930s (back then it was called Benzedrine), yet somehow the media newly discovers this phenomenon every six months. Talk about lazy journalism. Where's the headline, "Students don't stop taking Adderall after college and become amphetamine-addicted working adults" ? Because that's the real world. I'm sorry, but "College students using adderall to study for tests" is just the same tired half-assed story rehashed over and over again by lazy media outlets.

Cassie, lol .. This may be the article that started it all. Students abusing benzedrine on college campuses. Time magazine article published in 1937

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,757775,00.html

It's amazing how the media has not been able to advance this story in more than 70 years!! The same running headline for 70 years!

Mose Mosely was flinging spam and it was getting out of control. I started deleting his spam posts (with links to buy DVD's) but it made a conversation like this one not make sense. So I used my Moderator tool box and put a lock on his (or her) ability to create any new content and that solved the MoseMosely spam problem. If anybody suspects spam, just hit the report button (at the bottom of each post) and I will take care of it.

• 3 weeks later...

What I don't see on news reports, at least the one's I've read, that I think should be there is a basic description of how Add and other central nervous system stimulants work. When I first took ritalin, I thought of it in terms of it "adding" something, i.e. energy, enthusiasm, ect; however later I read about it and the chemestry of it and of course that isn't the case at all.

I think knowing the chemestry of it would make people better understand the dangers - I mean, it's easy to see why something that messes with your dopamine release and absorption so drastically would cause so many problems, but that is never discussed in the news.