QuittingAdderall.com Forums

26 years old; 10 on stimulants; now weaning off

Timetoquit

I'm a 26-year old attorney working at a large law firm in Washington DC. I've been on various stimulants for ADHD since high school, but have been on Adderall XR (various dosages) since 2006. Now I'm ready to quit and am hoping for a little information and support.

Lately, I've been noticing that Adderall XR doesn't really help me focus since my mind is switching so rapidly between thoughts. Plus, like many of the posters on here, I just don't like being tied to a drug.

Like I said above, I've been on various dosages of XR--which ranged from 30mg in college, to 20 in law school, to 15 starting this August (after bar exam), and now on 10mg since November 17. I intend to switch to 5mg just before Christmas, and then for the month starting around January 25, pour out half of the 5mg to take roughly 2.5mg for one month (yes I know about the different sized balls in the capsules).

The reason I came here is for advice from people who have successfully quit and so I can learn kind of what to expect in the period after I quit. My job requires periods of extreme focus and diligence so naturally this adds to the stress of trying to quit this medication.

Does anyone have any day to day tips or any advice on how to make the switch less traumatic? I've never abused the medication, but since I've been on it so long, it seems that everything I've ever done or accomplished has been the product of this medication. I'm honestly kind of scared but really want to do this. Also, because I've been on this medication for so long, it seems like there's a substantial psychological component occurring here. Thanks guys!

-D

Hmmm. I don't know if I can say much that will help you to make quitting less traumatic. You are certainly taking the path that most doctors would recommend - weaning down your dosages, and this will work for you because you did not abuse it. I have read posts from people who weaned and here is what I remember: at some pont you will notice a decline in your performance, and it could be at 5mg or none per day. Don't be afraid of the legal nondrug stimulants like coffee, redbull and 5hourenergy. They will get you over the hump and ease you into a life without any adderall. Yerbe Matte is good too, so is green tea. Congratulations on your decision to quit because life sucks when you need a fuckin pill just to function. Adderall quit working for me too, but I was abusing it and I had to quit cold turkey. After ten years of use, there will be both psychological and physical withdrawl issues for you to come to terms with. You will have a tough stretch ahead with some extra challenges, but I am confident you will put your adderall days behind you once and for all, and you will be better off mentally and physically for the effort. Good Luck!