QuittingAdderall.com Forums

"Remembering Ritalin"

Joanne

This book just came out May 3rd. Looks really interesting. I'd love to know what folks here think -- especially those of you who've been treated for ADHD as children or teenagers.

In it, pediatrician Larry Diller catches up with ten young adults he treated for ADHD as kids. (Eight of them were on stimulants; two weren't--Dr. Diller's perspective is that ADHD is a real condition but a) it's seriously overdiagnosed and B) even when pills are appropriate, every kid needs and deserves more than just pills):

www.rememberingritalin.com

Here's a review from the San Francisco paper:

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/02/DDG11J8N1H.DTL

He seems to be pretty skeptical of "adult ADHD" and thinks his ten patients have largely outgrown the problems they had as kids. I am off to Borders to see if they have a copy I can skim...

Interesting find. If you do skim it, let me know how it is, and if you like it. Could be good to add to a booklist or something. :P

I think that's really the attitude more doctors should have: pills supplement other treatment, not the other way around.

I would buy it for my Kindle, but it seems the Kindle edition is more expensive than the paperback. Sigh. Stupid Kindle.