QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Wellbutrin and Dopamine

Kyle_Chaos

How Does Wellbutrin Work?

Wellbutrin is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor, or NDRI for short. NDRIs affect specific chemicals within the brain, known as norepinephrine and dopamine. These are two of several chemicals used to send messages from one nerve cell to another.

As a message travels down a nerve, it causes the end of the cell to release either norepinephrine or dopamine. The chemical enters the gap between the first nerve cell and the one next to it. When enough norepinephrine or dopamine reaches the second nerve cell, it activates receptors on the cell and the message continues on its way. The first cell then quickly absorbs any norepinephrine or dopamine that remains in the gap between cells. This is called "reuptake."

Normally, this process works without any problems. But when the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine become unbalanced, it can cause a variety of conditions, including depression and seasonal affective disorder. Wellbutrin helps block the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine so that more remains in the space between the brain's nerve cells. This gives the chemicals a better chance of activating the receptors on the next nerve cell.

I told you choas this shit works well for recovering from addiction jest hang in ther get past any side afects you may have FALCON

Do you want a natural recovery or do you want to be on a drug? If you want your brain to recover on its own and have faith in its ability to do so, then why take anything that might compromise that process? I think the answer is, no one knows the answer to your question because there are no long term studies on the effects of these drugs. I think it's fine to take if it keeps you from relapsing. But since we don't know much about the long term effects or even know much about brain chemistry in general at this point, the safest thing would be to take the lowest dose you can for the shortest amount of time possible. And if you have any specific questions about a med, your best source is a pharmacist. They are far more knowledgeable about the medications than doctors.

• Like 1

Want to know how buproprion (Wellbutrin) works? Put your neuropsychopharmacology hat on:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC514842/

(but it still doesn't answer your question... I am googling this one but I think Cassie may be right; why hasn't there been research on the ability for the brain to restore normal neurotransmitter activity AFTER drug cessation? Then again, I guess the answer is in the question; it's not in Teva's best interest to find out what happens after you stop buying and taking their drug...) Incidentally, during this little research party I've been having this morning, I discovered that in October 2012, the FDA recalled generic Wellbutrin 300mg XR because it didn't work... and hadn't been for 4 years... I guess the message here is keep up to date on what your drug company is doing. The FDA is a joke.

If you feel manic, cut it in half and just take 50mgs. I used to do that with 100 Sr bupropio when I took it for depression. 100mgs was too much for me, so I only took half once a day. It doesn't break the time release and you can cut them, unlike the xl version. Better to take less if it's making you feel like crap.

Ta da! I found your answer. If there are no sides of long term use (that I know of at least), then why are you concerned about taking it?

http://stahlonline.cambridge.org/prescribers_drug.jsf?page=0521683505c09_p53-58.html.therapeutics&name=Bupropion&title=Therapeutics

Hey brother choas you can already tell the shit is starting to work why do you want to suffer from depression if ther is a pill to help Aleve your symptoms there you are sounding paranoid. I was the same way when I started antidepressants yes your brain will heal and I believe the doctor will keep you on the shit temporarily Intel your depression goes away .If you have a broken bone and was in intense pain would you take a pain killer temporarily in tell the bone starts to hell it’s the same concept do not be scared of welbutron. Overcome your side effects if they are not to bothersome the side effects will go away trust me my brother after two weeks make your call to stay on or get off jest give the drug a chance to do its job.

Your friend and X Adderall user FALCON

Kyle, ok my bad it doesn't actually explicitly say our neural pathways will be permanently fixed (or damaged beyond repair) by taking wellbutrin ; but from what I have read, it seems to indicate that a) indicate that it is safe for long term use -- i.e. being on it for a long time will not preclude you from coming off it eventually and returning to your normal state (hoping it's healthy enough that you'd want to return to it; sometimes depression is life-long-ishly chronic); B) the effects of it will last beyond the length of time that you took the drug; and c) the drug sometimes doesn't work for some.

I have a feeling that you're hinting at this question (tell me if I'm wrong): is wellbutrin too much like adderall, in that it targets dopamine release and is a mood enhancer/antidepressant? And the answer is, well, yes and no. Yes it does act as a dopamine and norepenephrine reuptake inhibitor, so there will be more access to dopamine in your brain... that's what it's supposed to do. But no, it's not like adderall in just about every other way. It is not addictive, its half life is much greater, and there are no (significant) withdrawals if you come off it. Wellbutrin is not like other antidepressants, and it's not like other "uppers" like speed, x, or coke.

I sound like a wellbutrin sales rep! Actually I am glad you asked because I realized I have been on it for so long and I've never really asked myself the question because I didn't want to know the answer if the answer was negative... wellbutrin has been such a godsend for me. I am a chronic depressive and I think of it like this: if my brain either doesn't produce enough dopamine or doesn't know how to access it, then I need medicine. I may need it for life, so what. Hypothyroid patients need to take thyroid medication for life, etc etc.

Incidentally, did you know some guys use it as a workout supplement? There's a whole bunch of other boards about that stuff as I'm sure you know.

Anyhow, I am seeing my psych next week and she is also a neurospsychopharmacologist, so I will ask her. Will let you know!

PS. Falcon, I like the new sign-off... ex-adderall-user.. very nice!

• Like 1

Kyle, ok my bad it doesn't actually explicitly say our neural pathways will be permanently fixed (or damaged beyond repair) by taking wellbutrin ; but from what I have read, it seems to indicate that a) indicate that it is safe for long term use -- i.e. being on it for a long time will not preclude you from coming off it eventually and returning to your normal state (hoping it's healthy enough that you'd want to return to it; sometimes depression is life-long-ishly chronic); B) the effects of it will last beyond the length of time that you took the drug; and c) the drug sometimes doesn't work for some.

I have a feeling that you're hinting at this question (tell me if I'm wrong): is wellbutrin too much like adderall, in that it targets dopamine release and is a mood enhancer/antidepressant? And the answer is, well, yes and no. Yes it does act as a dopamine and norepenephrine reuptake inhibitor, so there will be more access to dopamine in your brain... that's what it's supposed to do. But no, it's not like adderall in just about every other way. It is not addictive, its half life is much greater, and there are no (significant) withdrawals if you come off it. Wellbutrin is not like other antidepressants, and it's not like other "uppers" like speed, x, or coke.

I sound like a wellbutrin sales rep! Actually I am glad you asked because I realized I have been on it for so long and I've never really asked myself the question because I didn't want to know the answer if the answer was negative... wellbutrin has been such a godsend for me. I am a chronic depressive and I think of it like this: if my brain either doesn't produce enough dopamine or doesn't know how to access it, then I need medicine. I may need it for life, so what. Hypothyroid patients need to take thyroid medication for life, etc etc.

Incidentally, did you know some guys use it as a workout supplement? There's a whole bunch of other boards about that stuff as I'm sure you know.

Anyhow, I am seeing my psych next week and she is also a neurospsychopharmacologist, so I will ask her. Will let you know!

PS. Falcon, I like the new sign-off... ex-adderall-user.. very nice!

I appreciate it, yes.. that's sort of what I was getting at, but moreso I wanted to know if I'm preventing my eventual recovery.

It's already definitely starting to work, I sat around today...completely relaxed, reading "Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling.

All due respect... I don't think you're quite there yet. Give it 14 days at least. And stop paying such close attention to it.... changes will happen slowly but surely... for me it there was never a dramatic realization that wellbutrin was "working" but more of a forgetting some of the shitty ways I used to feel.

Congrats on relaxing. Based on your example, I am getting ready to go for a long run. It's a beautiful day in NYC!

• 9 years later...

I am trying to wean myself off a Dex-Ritalin combination. I don't know if it's like this for everyone, but taking Wellbutrin seemed to impair my memory improvement. I only saw improvement if I took nothing with stimulant activity. Memory improvement is VERY slow. It takes 1-2 years and then you'll be 85-90% of what you were before meds.