QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Ever Been Called Grandma?

quit-once

Yesterday was Christmas Eve and it snowed. Alot. The snow quit falling with about an hour of daylight left so I bundled up and found my biggest new snow shovel and went to work on my driveway. I was motivated and excited to use some extra energy and get in some physical activity. I blazed through my driveway in about a half hour and I wasn't even tired, so I took on my neighbors driveway and sidewalk. She is a single lady and older than me, and I wanted to a good deed for someone as a holiday gesture. I was about halfway through shoveling when two carloads of people arrived home. I acknowledged my neighbor and kept right on shoveling, without looking up to see who arrived. That's a common practice for me since I have face blindness and I wouldn't reccognize or remember these strangers anyway.

I stayed on task as these people got out of their cars. I was wearing a mid-length brown coat with a hood and I kept looking at my task at hand and just moving snow. Somebody ( a 13 year old boy) was approaching me saying "don't hurt yourself"...and I ignored it. They came closer and said "Gramma, don't hurt yourself, let me shovel". I stood straight up, peeled back my brown hood and said in the lowest, gruffest voice I could muster: "My name ain't gramma". "Oh, sorry", he said as he tucked his tail and slithered into the house. I finished my good deed; wished them all a merry christmas and went back home.

If I had been on adderall, that encounter would have been analyzed and re-anylized and overanylized trying to figure what would make anybody mistake a middle-aged guy like me for some kind of grandma. But I simply brushed it off thinking "maybe that kid has face blindness, too, so I am gald I wasn't any harsher on him at the time". Merryfuckinchristmas everybody!