QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Want off this hell-ride!

SomedayDreamer

My nutrition is horrible - the past 3 years especially, I mostly lived on coffee and cigarettes, I ate only once a day and that was maybe a can of Coke and a handful of Doritos or a Twinkie, any crap just to calm the afternoon shakiness.

Here's another WTF observation : I once kept count for three weeks and realized I was consuming on average about 400-600 calories per day on addy, 900cal tops if I had beer that night-- even so, seven years of using addy and I am FATTER now than before I started taking it! The first 4 years on it, I did lose weight. But I've gained weight in the past 2 years on it even though I still had no appetite and hardly ate. I am malnourished, but a hefty gal of 174 lbs at 5'6" tall (how depressing is that, ladies?)

I've heard that happens after awhile on addy, any theories as to why?

Exercise: ah, I can't wait :) Seriously, I used to be very active, I loved running and weight lifting especially, but with addy I quit running because my heart rate would quickly soar to over 200bpm while I was just warming up and I'd get tunnel vision. I would get such tight pressure feeling in my head when lifting weights that I stopped that too. Shit, I almost forgot about that...there's another thing I let pass me by so I could keep taking my addy.

I THINK cuz ur body goes into a "holy shit that bitch!" malnutrition mode where it's like "fuck this nonsense!" and saves up a ton of energy reserves for later when u give it oh 200 calories to get it thru the day AND digest that twinky, heal from the cigs, and actually run your body on 200% from the addy, cuz I don't think the addy itself is actual energy... but far is energy reserves, am I wrong, I'm not expert, but I believe that's right... your body's bank account of energy reserves...

My nutrition is horrible - the past 3 years especially, I mostly lived on coffee and cigarettes, I ate only once a day and that was maybe a can of Coke and a handful of Doritos or a Twinkie, any crap just to calm the afternoon shakiness.

Here's another WTF observation : I once kept count for three weeks and realized I was consuming on average about 400-600 calories per day on addy, 900cal tops if I had beer that night-- even so, seven years of using addy and I am FATTER now than before I started taking it! The first 4 years on it, I did lose weight. But I've gained weight in the past 2 years on it even though I still had no appetite and hardly ate. I am malnourished, but a hefty gal of 174 lbs at 5'6" tall (how depressing is that, ladies?)

Exercise: ah, I can't wait :) Seriously, I used to be very active, I loved running and weight lifting especially, but with addy I quit running because my heart rate would quickly soar to over 200bpm while I was just warming up and I'd get tunnel vision. I would get such tight pressure feeling in my head when lifting weights that I stopped that too. Shit, I almost forgot about that...there's another thing I let pass me by so I could keep taking my addy.

Exactly! I only ate to calm the afternoon 'OMG I'm so hyper I might have a heart attack !!!'. I lived on coffee, redbull and protein drinks... same experience w/ exercise too. I used to love running & strength training, got really lazy on rit -- would rather just not eat and do nothing after all who needs exercise when you're not eating... now I look like a speed freak. I went to a spa w a friend and tried some basic intro to spinning type classes and I thought I would pass out. Such a shame b/c there's nothing like real endorphins of real exercise - far superior to raise hand/ pop pill/ repeat. UGH --I want to be healthy again!

oh cool!! tell me what you think! it's a trippy book, a holistic approach to healing ADD, I totally believe that "our" (Americans) diet and lifestyle has led to the much higher occurrence of ADD, autism, depression, etc... and that book talks a lot about different types of ADD and what behaviors manifest, and then how to curb the "symptoms" with various lifestyle changes- mostly diet and exercise. I watched Forks Over Knives on netflix and have been 99% vegan since (still have a tiny bit of cheese sometimes, and I'll break it for sushi, but I just learned that most sushi we get in the US is farm raised fish, which is totally different than an active ocean fish with predators and freedom and whatnot.... so, sushi I'm kinda on the fence with now...), and no refined sugar, no white anything (bread, pasta, etc...), or crap food... really attribute a lot of the way I feel to eating healthy and exercising regularly, not smoking anymore..... sure preach a hell of a lot now though, wonder if that just goes with the territory.... at least I'm not pushing religion... ;)

• Like 2

Hi sky -- day 5 and still going strong. Brain fog still here but starting to feel better. This morning was semi-productive, afternoon went outside, walked to go food shopping and other mundane tasks but felt amazing to be off the couch and out the door on a sunday. I'm very grateful for small or any victories at this point. Working on strengthening commitment.

• Like 1

Hey sky, I am running around all over the place packing boxes to ship to school, and getting ready to move halfway across the country. I can't believe it's happening already (flying out Thursday, orientation friday) this past week I wrapped up my 100% ADDERALL FREE internship and got some great reference letters. I definitely performed better at this job WITHOUT adderall. I could just feel that My judgement and focus was so much better and left on a very high note. Sobriety is paying off.. Instead, I am running on Dunkin (ice coffee)

AWESOME lea! great to hear, glad you're trudging thru it and doing great what you gotta do.... it does get better... the commitment is important, like some have suggested on here, if you're having a hard time with the commitment, try it out for a set amount of time... like say I'll see if I like my life better after 6 months of abstinence from adderall, or a year, or something that makes sense cuz there is that period of time where your body needs to heal and repair, and that takes time, more than a month or two... good job though! proud of you for stickin with it.... I relapsed last night, had a fucking In n Out burger... we were famished after working all day, I'd had a bunch of drinks, we went to In n Out and I ate a burger... was good, my body didn't love it tho... oh well... I wanted a cig too, didn't succumb to that brief craving. glad this morning I didn't...

It's funny, if I don't see any posts from folks on here for a bit I kinda start to worry about them...... esp folks early on in quitting, is that weird? so keep us updated!!

InRecovery, Sounds like an exciting time!! moving to a new state?? damn that sounds kinda epic! hope you love your new environment........!!

I relapsed last night

WTF do you mean you relapsed last night???!!! On adderrall?

I know what you mean about getting worried if you don't hear from folks. Whoami, Mike, SearchingSoul, Krax, roxbury, hope you guys are all doing ok and staying strong (you're the ones who come to mind recently). And Debbie is still v much in my thoughts.

The first 4 years on it, I did lose weight. But I've gained weight in the past 2 years on it even though I still had no appetite and hardly ate. I am malnourished, but a hefty gal of 174 lbs at 5'6" tall (how depressing is that, ladies?)

Just as your tolerance builds up with every other aspect of adderall, so does the metabolism. Your appetite getting back to normal is very much part of the tolerance process. I'm sure if you took double your dosage you would lose your appetite again (not that I am recommending this!).

Hey sky, I am running around all over the place packing boxes to ship to school, and getting ready to move halfway across the country. I can't believe it's happening already (flying out Thursday, orientation friday) this past week I wrapped up my 100% ADDERALL FREE internship and got some great reference letters. I definitely performed better at this job WITHOUT adderall. I could just feel that My judgement and focus was so much better and left on a very high note. Sobriety is paying off.. Instead, I am running on Dunkin (ice coffee)

This thread is all over the place, but I just re-read this (don't know why I missed it before) and wanted to let you know that your story (amongst others') was one of the main reasons I joined this forum. You were the first person to ever respond to my post - I thought I was losing my mind - and share your life's story. The fact that you went from taking nearly 30X what I'd been taking to quitting cold turkey and then being so successful, together and cool, all gave me such hope.

Congrats again, InRecovery. And thank you for changing my life.

• Like 1