QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Dimethylethanolamine (DMAE)

I have access to Natural Standard - it's the authority for supplement info, so if you have questions I can look stuff up for you. This is the description. It's weird, all the studies conducted on DMAE (there are 153 listed) are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I guess it went out of style or something.

DMAE otherwise known as 2-dimethylaminoethanol or deanol is an analog of the B vitamin choline. DMAE is a precursor of the neurotransmitter of acetylcholine it has strong effects on the central nervous system. DMAE is commonly used to increase the capacity of neurons in the brain and is also thought to have anti-aging properties. Often DMAE is used to treat children with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) because it is known to decrease aggression, increase attention span, and memory abilities. It has been shown to be as effective as methylphenidate in increasing brain function.(1,2)

Anecdotal DMAE uses include reversal of the cross-linking of proteins, increasing lifespan, decreasing the incidence and severity of hangovers, alleviating anxiety, increases motivation in depressed people and improving the behavior and mental function of children with Down's Syndrome.

1. LewisJA, Lewis BS. Deanol in minimal brain dysfunction.Dis Nerv Syst. 1977 Dec;38(12 Pt 2):21-4.
  2. Lewis JA, Young R. Deanol and methylphenidate in minimal brain dysfunction. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1975 May;17(5):534-40.

Thanks Cassie! So why the FUCK doesn't this get issued to children more often rather than speed?!

I am also interested, since you've got your research hat on Cassie (now you can see why I thought you were a doctor!), is how it may interact with the other "L's" (amino acids like tyrosene phenylalanine etc), and HTP-5.

By the way, I read today that HTP-5 shouldn't be used with Lexapro/Prozac or MAOIs. Just in case anyone here was doing so...

No interactions are listed for DMAE. L-tyrosine and phenylalanine are okay, but I wouldn't take 5-HTP unless it's the only thing you take and you take it sparingly:

5-HTP may cause gastrointestinal disturbances, mood disturbances, seizure, or abnormal blood counts. Some of these reported side effects might result from contaminants in 5-HTP products. 5-HTP has also been associated with increased blood cortisol levels and increased risk of suicide in individuals with psychiatric illnesses.

• Possibly Safe: When used orally and short-term (up to one year) in recommended doses for cerebellar disorders (16) or depression (17). When used orally and short-term (up to 90 days) in recommended doses for fibromyalgia (18); up to four months in recommended doses for headache (19); up to 12 weeks in recommended doses for obesity (20); and up to 12 weeks in recommended doses for psychiatric disorders (21). When 5-HTP 4.5mg/kg daily is used in children for up to four months for headache (22).
  • Possibly Unsafe: When used orally in certain patient populations. 5-HTP may worsen symptoms of existing gastrointestinal disorders, based on numerous reports of gastrointestinal adverse effects, primarily with intravenous administration (23;​24;​25;​26). When used in patients with HIV/AIDS, particularly HIV-1 infection (27). When used in patients with seizure disorders or those using agents that lower the seizure threshold (28;​39;​94). When used in patients with a history of mental disorders (24;​29;​30), including schizophrenia (31). When used in patients using CNS depressants (24;​26;​32;​33;​34;​35;​36). When used concurrently with antihypertensives (37). When used in patients taking decarboxylase inhibitors (81;​82;​83;​110;​111;​112) and in patients also with bradycardia (45).
  • Likely Unsafe: When used in patients with eosinophilia syndromes (40) or mitochondrial encephalomyopathy (38), or in infants with Down syndrome (39). When used in patients with suicidal ideation (41). When used in individuals using "party pills" (benzylpiperazine and trifluoromethylphenylpiperazine) (42). When used in patients taking antidepressant medications (TCAs, MAOIs, SSRIs, nefazodone, trazodone, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, bupropion) or any other medications that may affect serotonin (43). When used in pregnant or lactating women. When used in patients with a known allergy to 5-HTP-containing products.

Whoa. I'd better stop taking this then. Thank you, Cassie.

1) I take wellbutrin (buprorion)

2) I have a history of suicidal ideation/attempts

3) I wonder if amphetamine pscyhosis counts in this instance as "schizophrenia"? As far as I can tell there is very little difference between paranoid schizophrenia and amphetamine psychosis, and they absolutely showed up the same way for me. I'm petrified beyond belief about this.

Just my anecdotal experience, I took DMAE for awhile a few years ago and found it worsened brain fog at first, then I felt a sense of "derealization" followed by sleepiness and/or crying easily. Not really any noticeable effect beyond that. But I only took it for a week or so at a time over the course of about 3 months, so it really doesn't mean much in comparison to the great factual research Cassie posted here.

Phosphatidyl Serine was helpful to me for mental focus and mood after only a few days of use.

• Like 1

MFA, Who the fuck is Walter White?

Seriously? You've never watched Breaking Bad?? Duuuuude, better get on that right away.... anyone else a fan? I was taking a bunch of adderall when it first came out and hated to admit it that I felt sometimes like I knew what meth addiction really felt like. I think that's when I first realized I may have a problem with adderall.

Seriously? You've never watched Breaking Bad?? Duuuuude, better get on that right away.... anyone else a fan? I was taking a bunch of adderall when it first came out and hated to admit it that I felt sometimes like I knew what meth addiction really felt like. I think that's when I first realized I may have a problem with adderall.

big fan

You have to watch them in order - unlike most tv shows, it doesn't start off with a bang and then settle down but rather is the inverse.The first season is sort of slow because it sets everything up, but it's well worth it, 2nd is better, and the 3rd and 4th seasons are insanely good.

• Like 1

I started taking it a week or so ago, it comes in 2 different versions. Of course on top of all the other supplements I started taking a week ago it is hard to differentiate which does what, but I have noticed ability to be able to focus and remember is absolutely coming back. So I don't know if that's worth anything...

I started taking it a week or so ago, it comes in 2 different versions. Of course on top of all the other supplements I started taking a week ago it is hard to differentiate which does what, but I have noticed ability to be able to focus and remember is absolutely coming back. So I don't know if that's worth anything...

If the interaction of Wellbutrin SR and DMAE kils me then I have you to blame..

Awesome, thanks for putting that in writing...

*** The views held by MFA do not represent those of any health care company, agency, medical professionals, moderators and/or owners of the www.quittingadderall.com site, or its affiliates; or of any other members or contributors of the online forum. MFA can not and will not be held accountable for the actions taken by other members of the forum****

• Like 1