QuittingAdderall.com Forums

when adderall stops working

ddubois

i dont know if anyone is experiencing this but adderall just doesn't provide the thrills it once did. i realize that with any drug there is a certain amount of tolerance involved after a period of time. i've been taking the drug for over 8 years. i'm taking 80 mg's daily. this is the maximum allowable dosage, i believe. when i wake up i take 2 20 mg tabs. after 30 mins or so, i usually feel a slight pick-up. that's it. i take another tab about 3 hrs. later, which has the same effect. i take the last tab 3 hrs after that. i don't have the crash because i never get that "up". the thing is, if i don't take it, i never get out of bed.

I understand the whole not being able to get out of bed without it.

Today is my first day completely Adderall-free, and this morning was pure hell.

If the pill is no longer doing what you want, maybe you can start looking at tapering off, or even quitting cold turkey?

I won't try to downplay how bad it sucks, I'm only on my first day, and I already called into work, and went back to bed for 3 hours before I could manage to pull myself up....

BUT

I know without question, that in the end, IT WILL BE WORTH IT... To be medication-free, will feel better than any feeling Adderall has given me in the 5 years I took it.

Is it worth it to keep taking your pills, when they aren't even working anymore?

I'm not trying to hate, because I understand how hard it is to even consider not taking it. It took me over a year of wanting desperately to quit, before I can say that today is my first day without it.

I'm just asking that you take a good look at whether it's worth it to keep chasing that high.

Good luck, you are strong, even if you don't feel strong, just for reaching out.

the fact that i have built up a tolerance for it indicates that my system is used to it and only functions "normally" when the drug is present. it doesnt mean that i could quit more easily. quite the contrary. ever known a long time alcoholic?

they only feel normal when drunk but may not exhibit the symptoms of being drunk. however, take the booze away and its a frightening sight.

• 1 year later...

That makes a lot of sense ddubois. Ya...I got to a point where I would be shit-face blasted off adderall Im talking like 13 30mg xr in a day blasted...and all just to feel normal. I began to recognize that although I was taking an extremely high dosage...The affect it had over me was strictly consequential.I was taking it, just to hold a friggin' conversation!! such an un-pretty sight and unhappy times...

I am a recovered alcoholic; quit drinking 25 years ago cold turkey, after developing a hell of a tolerance. Never had a single physical side effect. Just stopped one day because I'd had enough lost weekends and was sick of hiding liquor from my loved ones, etc. Also, had a new baby and didn't want him to grow up with a drunk for a mother. So I quit one fine day and have never, ever looked back. Never been tempted.

Also quit tabacco around the same time-a very different story: much, much, much harder! I still have dreams about smoking cigarettes! After all these years. I used to say I'd never start smoking again b/c I could never endure the agony of quitting again.

Anyway, this brings us to Adderall, which I am addicted to presently and about to attempt to quit. I suspect this experience will somewhere in the middle of my other two experiences of quitting a powerful drug. It will certainly not be as easy as quitting drinking, but I doubt very much it will be as hard as quitting nicotine-since that was the hardest thing I've ever done, hands down.

But the psychology of quitting any drug is the same. You need to get to a point where the cost/benefit ratio is insupportable, then act accordingly. It sounds like you're already there, so force yourself to begin the process. It won't be easy, but it won't kill you, either. As they say in AA (which I never bought into bc their "our way or the highway" approach was deeply offensive to me) "one step (day) at a time." (Just b'c I didn't find AA right for me dosen't mean it's all sh*t! ;)

Best of luck to you. Make the choice, then act on it. Or not, but I think you're ready from what you say here.