QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Soo annoyed

ashley6

I was just talking to my mom about how a friend of hers daughter is 16 years old and is constantly tired. They did bloodwork and found nothing wrong, so they said, "we're going to put you on adderall." This girl is a straight A student who didn't complain of ADHD, and they put her on adderall because she gets tired. I know I was responsible for abusing adderall, but it sickens me how easily doctors prescribe this stuff that has the potential to ruin lives. I know I'm preaching to the choir, just had to get that out.

• Like 4

Agreed. The idea of putting kids on amphetamines just seems counter intuitive and god-awful. Oh, let's transform them into zombies, let's steal their souls and creativity before they can even make that choice for themselves. I was tired every day as a 16 year old....I mean who isn't?-- but for me, and everyone I knew, it was because school started at 7:35 am. Whose idea that was, I would love to sit them down and give them a piece of my mind...teenagers naturally need extra sleep, and they need to sleep late!

it's hard to make a rational judgement of this situation without knowing all the facts, but on face value yeah it seems ridiculous, though doctors are generally very careful about what they do for fear of lawsuits, which are rampant. I wonder if they did any trials of changing her diet, adding exercise, etc. I mean, it seems ludicrous to prescribe adderall purely as a stimulant. that's why it seems like something of the story is missing... you know?

Sky,

I agree with you; however this was first-hand from her mom. I don't like gossip, but I hope in this case I'm wrong. Unfortunately, the story came first-hand from her mother. My mom is really in tune with this stuff after dealing with my addiction. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

I was just talking to my mom about how a friend of hers daughter is 16 years old and is constantly tired. They did bloodwork and found nothing wrong, so they said, "we're going to put you on adderall." This girl is a straight A student who didn't complain of ADHD, and they put her on adderall because she gets tired. I know I was responsible for abusing adderall, but it sickens me how easily doctors prescribe this stuff that has the potential to ruin lives. I know I'm preaching to the choir, just had to get that out.

No one should be put on a prescription because they are tired. Coffee will usually do the trick and it doesnt have the potential to ruin your life. People need to learn (myself totally included) how keep going when they are tired without a pill. If they dont learn that they are missing some critical life skills that most other people in this world have. doctors... facepalm2.gif

Actually, i want to correct myself, um..I was hearing voices in my head which I thought were real for year or more. So I hit rock bottom and have gotten very used to the idea of being imperfect. Really anything that I do, is a step up from where I was.

But yes, before I hit rock bottom the initial attraction of adderall when I first started taking it , was that I felt it made me excel..etc. and be more perfect in all endeavors. And that mentality is really dangerous for people just starting it and don't want to give it up because before they know it...they need it for everything and the prescription begins to OWN their soul, their entire being.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right. I guess the feeling of imperfection adderall gave us is more accurate. I spent my days smoking cigarettes, avoiding people, having panic attacks, playing games on my phone until 3-4 am, and being a paranoid mess. I was the definition of imperfection. The abuse of the drug is mostly based on the honeymoon stage that lasted a year at best....wow, that's messed up. Talk about chasing the dragon.

• Like 1

Yeah, so for us addicts it's like. Ok. You get this honeymoon thing going for a little bit, yeah you feel on top of the world and maybe become so awesome or whatever and then BAM. YOU just GET OWNED BY IT.

The trade off..my god,. Wtf??

Couldn't they have put that on the prescription warning bottle?

• Like 1

Prescribing Adderall for fatigue is like prescribing Vicoden for headaches. It's a dangerous overreaction to the underlying problem, over time it will dull your opiate receptors, and you will become even more sensitive to pain, just like speed will wear out your dopamine receptors, fry your adrenal glands and make you feel drained all the time. But doctors don't prescribe Vicoden for headaches - that would be careless.

The thing I was addicted to most with Adderall was the energy, and it was the reason I kept relapsing when I tried to quit - I couldn't get used to that lack of instant, artificial energy. I could only imagine if I had this problem at 16, with my brain, and natural coping mechanisms, underdeveloped.

• Like 1

My very first experience with speed was when I found a bottle of ritalin in my mom's medicine cabinet. I was about 16 years old and the bottle of pills was at least five years old. On the dosing instructions typed onto the label, it said "take one tablet daily, as needed for energy". With a promise like that, how could I resist? Obviously, Mom had better sense than me because she didn't take all of them.

The ONLY time I believe that speed is justified for boosting energy is for those poor folks with narcolepsy - nothing else seems to work for them. I could sure relate to that condition during day two of adderall withdrawls (which I experienced on a weekly basis for many years).

Why don't people question their doctors or get second opinions or read the PDR when it comes to this crap? Putting a kid on speed because they are tired is just wrong at so many levels.

Yes, you're right. I guess the feeling of imperfection adderall gave us is more accurate. I spent my days smoking cigarettes, avoiding people, having panic attacks, playing games on my phone until 3-4 am, and being a paranoid mess. I was the definition of imperfection. The abuse of the drug is mostly based on the honeymoon stage that lasted a year at best....wow, that's messed up. Talk about chasing the dragon.

Your words ring so true! Like you said, one year tops of "wow, this is life-changing amazing!" then the next several years chasing that elusive feeling as your life slowly deteriorates around you.

I know it's a cliche, but it's true that you start out taking the pill, but the pill ends up taking you.

Yeah, and we may have been awesome before but once we are OWNED by a prescription we are no longer awesome. We are far from awesome. no one should kid themselves. And I read all these stories from us addicts and we look back with so much pride at that time...of course myself included...but really that period is over and done and it's the mess we are are now in that we need to think about. But I dont think anyone who is now stuck in addiction should be holding onto pride from the days they were in an adderall honeymoon. Because this addict.gif is the god awful result.

Ashley, can you have a talk with your mom's friend and tell her a little of what you know of adderall? My sister-in-law's son is ADHD and in high school, and he was prescribed adderall a year or so ago. She talked at the time about how much she thought he'd settled down, was doing well in school, and then everything went quiet. I sent her a text the other day to ask if her son was still on the drug because I wanted her to know I've seen the dark side and it's a law of diminishing returns.

I'm sure you will be praised for your courage if you speak up about it. Can you recommend some of the supplements on this site? Maybe they will act as a better alternative for your friend's daughter....

• Like 1