QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Book Recommendation

This community has such a dearth of awesome recommendations. I agree with InRecovery: Happy the movie, and On Speed the book are both things that I have found to be really valuable through this site. [i'm yet to do the Nike thingy...]

I'd like to add another: has anyone read, "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle (sp)? Totally the opposite of adderall, yet such tonic for the healing adderallic.

Teaches the importance of inner calm and listening to your still, small voice. It's HARD work to get it right, but wow, the power it brings.

I could never have read this 6 months ago. I would have thought it was a bunch of mumbo jumbo. But there is a real power in stillness. And it's something adderall will never, ever be able to reach. Oh, and if you think it's a religious book, it might be useful to know that I'm an athiest, and I have still found it to be really enlightening ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808

• Like 1

I actually bought and read 'The Power of Now' when I was on Adderall. I got into this obsessive, overly philosophical, self help book reading phase. For like, a year I was convinced I needed to consume all these self help/spirituality books because there was something psychologically wrong with me that I needed to figure out. It couldn't have been the Adderall, DUH. But yeah, better to read sober! Have you read his other one, 'A New Earth' I think it's called? I liked that one better than 'The Power of Now.'

• Like 1

As I'm a half-assed agnostic, I can appreciate what you mean about this book being accessible and enlightening to anyone. I'm not knocking recovery programs like the 12-steps, but I just don't believe in a "personal" god that micromanages our lives. Maybe the total sum of humanity has some significance, but not us as individuals.. DeMello was actually a Jesuit priest from India, but he was like it didn't even matter (the Vatican actually banned his books... all the more appealing to me :P)

I don't know why I'm babbling on like this... sorry :)

• Like 2