QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Finding Happiness and Inner Peace

quit-once

I am hesitant to post this, but I want to share my thoughts with everyone. It is human nature to loathe and envy somebody who has something you want but do not have, and it is NOT my intention to boast about being happy. I am posting this both for myself (for future reference on those not so happy days) and also for anybody who would like to improve their happiness. I would also really like to hear some thoughts from those of you who read this and can add their own thoughts on what makes them happy in the comment section.

I have had fleeting episodes of happiness all thorugh my life. As a child, I was depressed most of the time but did have a few occasional good years too. As a college student, I was only moderately happy, and as a young adult, I had a few bouts of depression that I was finally able to get a handle on through some counseling and by the time I was 30 things were pretty good. I had another period of depression a few years ago while my mom was suffering through old age and I was suffering though an adderall addiction. Things have gotten much, much better for me lately.

I am not a monk, although I live a monk-like lifestyle in modern day America. I do believe I have some past-life experiences being.....well....monkey.

I find happiness and inner peace to be intrinsically related. You cannot have happiness without inner peace. I persue a lifestyle that maintains my inner peace at all costs. So the first few things I will discuss are what gives and maintains my inner peace:

Accepting myself for who I am as a person

Accepting forced change and those things from the past that cannot be changed. I accept the outcome of all events that occur beyond my control.

Accepting Death. Whether it is the death of a parent, pet, or peer, or even a houseplant.

Living debt-free

Being honest and trustworthy (yup, I am an Eagle Scout)

Forgiving the wrong-doers in my life

Experiencing freedom and having options. I love the freedom from addiction and the option to take another pill, if I so choose. But addiction and freedom are mutually exclussive.

Learning and applying life lessons

Having relationships. I struggle with this one, when it comes to significant others anyway. But i am my dog's best friend and I am always available for my friends to call on me for whatever reason.

Giving Service. Most of the time this comes from simply doing my job (and I get paid for it too - what a bonus). Or letting someone in line in front of me. Or holding the door open for the person behind me. Or taking flowers to an uncle in a rest home. Or taking care of Mom in her final years.

Providing service to those less fortunate helps me to appreciate all that I have.

Having gratitude. I often say a prayer of grace to acknowledge the good food I am about to eat and everything else that I cannot take credit for in my life. I realize I am the victim of good luck and/or good fortune. I am grateful for everything in my life like having the best parents, good health, a job and a cool dog. I am even grateful for my adderall experience and the life lessons about addiction I learned from that awful fucking drug. And i am grateful for this awsome web site and to the online community it envelopes. I am especially grateful to you for reading my post.

I have been putting this list together for the last couple of weeks. I would really like to hear some comments on what makes you happy, gives you happiness, and maintains your inner peace.

• Like 4

Your welcome. What makes me happy.

1. Rainy days

2. A clean car

3. Helping others

4. Being helped

5. Unwavering loyalty to and from

6. My kitty's purr

7. Being in love

8. Knocking out a to do list

9. Halloween

10.A New Orleans Saints win