QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Carrots?

BeHereNow

Brainstorming creative techniques of self-motivation, it occured to me that "normal" people take time for themselves and do fun things that make them happy. WOW imagine that?! The classic technique of rewarding hard work with a juicy carrot. And the best part is that since they don't take adderall, they get to be present and truly ENJOY it.

I'm curious to hear peoples' favorite "carrots," the ones that help you motivate for hard work (Breaking Bad, anyone?)

I want to start building "carrots" into my schedule and making deals with myself that if I get x y or z done, I get a b or c "carrot." I'm thinking this will also help stave off the post-adderall boredom, esp. since February is coming.

Here is my list of possible carrots. Some are more "everyday," some are more "special." I feel like most of these are weekend activities rather than "everyday" carrots, but maybe that's the adderallic mind still telling me I'm "too busy."

Lunch/dinner with a friend

Calling a friend

Going for a hike or walk or run

Going out dancing

Watching movies

Just plain free time

Hopefully, once I get it back together, painting/art time

Going to the thrift store

Getting a tattoo (e.g. after completing a really big project--I have several I've wanted for years...but have been "too busy" tweaking out to actually design or get.....LOL......)

• Like 1

Wow, we love the same carrots :) except no tatts for me (too scared).

I have one sentimental "carrot" in store for myself when I reach 90 days... last year, my daughter gave me a pink quartz pendant carved into the shape of a tortoise (the antithesis of "speed"... how apropos) I want to get a nice sterling chain to wear it as a symbolic reminder to myself.

• Like 1

Naps

Cooking dinner and drinking a glass of wine

Downton Abbey !

Doing the crossword

Catching up on political news

Buying something I want (new clothes, something for the house, or whatever)

Ice cream

Just plain free time free of anxiety from not having gotten shit done

• Like 1

Yeah MIA... me too....... I think this is more of a goal than real life. I hope someday, somehow, I can actually motivate myself in this way, with carrots, and make it work. I too berate myself for not getting things done, for my brain not working the way it used to, and then skip directly to the carrot. It's not much of a carrot when you jump directly to it without the hard work. But I guess it's OK for now..... Moving in the direction of frogs and carrots, but not quite there yet. Maybe someday....

Brainstorming creative techniques of self-motivation, it occured to me that "normal" people take time for themselves and do fun things that make them happy. WOW imagine that?! The classic technique of rewarding hard work with a juicy carrot. And the best part is that since they don't take adderall, they get to be present and truly ENJOY it.

I'm curious to hear peoples' favorite "carrots," the ones that help you motivate for hard work (Breaking Bad, anyone?)

I want to start building "carrots" into my schedule and making deals with myself that if I get x y or z done, I get a b or c "carrot." I'm thinking this will also help stave off the post-adderall boredom, esp. since February is coming.

Here is my list of possible carrots. Some are more "everyday," some are more "special." I feel like most of these are weekend activities rather than "everyday" carrots, but maybe that's the adderallic mind still telling me I'm "too busy."

Lunch/dinner with a friend

Calling a friend

Going for a hike or walk or run

Going out dancing

Watching movies

Just plain free time

Hopefully, once I get it back together, painting/art time

Going to the thrift store

Getting a tattoo (e.g. after completing a really big project--I have several I've wanted for years...but have been "too busy" tweaking out to actually design or get.....LOL......)

Yes TATTOO. I haven't gotten one since before the addies. I want to actually get an inspiring one. Not just for quitting the pills, but just a reminder that i am strong and can do anything i put my mind to.

All your carrot ideas sound like good ones to me!

More carrots. I need more "everyday" quick carrots that also activate the addicted/pleasure/reward center of my brain. So, here they are:

Checking my phone

Checking facebook

Checking this website

Doing anything on the internet

Watching music videos

Listening to music

If I hold these more highly addictive carrots in front of my nose, and force myself to do something small before I can e.g. check my phone again, maybe that will help... I just got through 10 pages of reading this way....... Hoping I can summon this kind of willpower on a more regular basis.....