QuittingAdderall.com Forums

L-Tyrosine dosage?

From what I understand with supplements like L-Tyrosine. If you take too much your body will just get rid of the excess. So if you notice bright yellow urine your body is getting rid of the excess.   Large doses can damage your liver over a long time, but this is very rare and the result of wayy too much.   The supplements work better over time. You may not feel the benefits of a supplements for 3 weeks. So  smaller doses consistently are the way to go. 

If I take too much tyrosine, I get a headache. I like the 500 mg dose - GNC Brand - about 2-3 times per day. I feel the effects of tyrosine right away, like within an hour of taking it. Tyrosine is the one supplement that got me through recovery. I still take it, sometimes, when I am in a pissy mood, or when I just want to feel better. It is the best non-drug mood elevator I know of. It works even better with B complex vitamins and you MUST take it on an empty stomach - one hour before eating or at least two hours after. Take it with a redbull for an extra bonus of the feelgoods.

• Like 1

L-tyosine works! I just picked up the 500 mg tablets at GNC along with a B-complex and took them together on an empty stomach. My mood is elevated! It worked within 15 minutes. I was feeling so bad today due to lack of quality sleep, I finally broke down and decided to take someone's advice who has already traveled the path. Go figure. Thank you for posting your experience Quit-once.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I have no idea what all these supplements are. Could somebody please educate me? What is lions mane, tyrosine , and Yerba mate? Are these sold at whole foods or GMC or Walgreens and do they just start a whole other problem (addiction)? Looking forward to any and all advice . Thanks so much.

Lions mane is mushroom mycelium that boosts your memory and cognitive abilities.  Not a stimulant.  I take 500 or 1000 mg once per day, most days of the week.  Too much makes me overthink things.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that does good things for your dopamine  or serotonin levels.  It is a nutritional antidepressant for some people, and it works for me.  I usually take 500 mg on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, whenever I think I need to be antidepressed.  Too much gives me headaches.

Yerbe Mate is a tea made from green leaves.  Lots of antioxidents and some caffeine.

This morning I took 1000 mg of Lions Mane and 500 mg of L-Tyrosine and I made the coffee way too strong and ended up with severe anxiety and I was overthinking everything; the anxiety is very rare for me.  Probably the strong coffee caused the anxiety.  I had to eat and take a nap in order to regain a normal feeling. 

I also use fish oil (too much fish oil makes my ears ring and gives me the fish burps) for a mental boost and I take an occasional vitamin C and B-Complex vitamin pill.  About twice per year I discontinue ALL supplements for about a month and I am getting ready to do that now.  I also found that iron supplements made my back ache during sleep so I haven't taken a multivitamin in over a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought some L-Tyrosine today and took 1g last night and I felt pretty happy in the evening.  This felt amazing since I spent the previous few days feeling really "relapsey" and stressed right out.  I took 1g twice today and shortly after the second dose I got the migraine/nausea thing and was completely knocked down all afternoon.  Definitely not something to take lightly so be careful with this one.

I think I'll just go back to 1g tomorrow morning and see how that goes.

maybe I'll just start eating more bananas then

after my last flu-like experience with tyrosine I didn't take another one for quite a while.  I took one a couple hours ago about an hour before going to the gym.  Maybe exercising right afterwards made my body handle it better and I noticed only positive effects.

again though, bananas do taste so much better and no risk of negative side effects!

Grumpycat,  When it comes to L-Tyrosine Dosage, for me less is best.  If I feel like I might be having a shitty day, I usually take just ONE 500 mg pill.  Sometimes a booster if the first one didn't quite work, and that's it.  Sometimes, the depression is simply beyond what an amino acid supplement can affect.