QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Adderall ruined my health!

MC34

Hi :)

I don't know if anyone else has experienced similar side effects but I am 99.9% sure that adderall messed up my skin, hair and overall health! A little backround information about me is I am 22 years old, my name is Michele and I am graduate student. I started taking adderall when I was prescribed it back in Feb 2009. I would take it maybe like 5 days a week for a while then sometimes go like a week without it but I would always take it again. I have not taken any in the past 3 weeks and I am completely done with it! I have always had mild acne but nothing too bad. It seems like within the last year I have been breaking out all over on my face back neck its so depressing! I have for sure noticed in overall change in my skin as it is extra sensitive and gets very oily then dry and itchy it was never like this before I started taking adderall so I am going to blame it for all of my health problems. On top of my skin looking like crap my hair is now thinner and my scalp is very sensitive as well! I am so fed up with what this drug has done not only to my body but my personality as well! I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their health since their use with adderall any feedback would be great!

Thank you and keep up the hard work of remaining adderall free! :)

Hi,

Relax... you probably haven't caused any permanent damage to your your body. You're only 22. Amphetamines are vaso-constrictors and the smallest blood vessels in the body are near the surface (skin). So, yes it dries out your skin and hair by restricting blood (fluid) supply, causing fluctuations in the amount of oil your body produces. This causes the acne. In 2 or 3 weeks you should be back to normal, and not really any worse for it.

Remember that amphetamines cause paranoia and anxiety - so a person thinks that they've f'd themselves up way more than they really have. Unless they really have. Also keep in mind that crystal meth addicts (just another amphetamine - feels about the same as Adderall but not quite as physical) regularly do 1000+ mgs per day. It's a rare Adderall user who comes close to that.

Some signs that you REALLY are causing damage. I'm not a doctor, so take the info for what it is - just some random on the internet.

- twitches, shakes, or unexpected muscle movements after you've stopped. Amphetamines are linked to Tourette's syndrome and Parkinson's disease. Being a potent dopamine and nervous system stimulant, this makes sense.

- persistant cognitive impairment, particularly working (short term) memory. Again, after you've stopped. While you're on it, and if the doses aren't so high that sleep deprivation takes over, speed slightly improves short term memory and cognition speed. In the long term, and at high doses, it harms these systems. I personally can't remember a flipping thing I do from minute to minute. I have to write everything down. No problems with long term memory, thank God.

- kidney and liver problems. Diabetes, jaundice, fatigue, dark urine, extreme thirt, and confusion are symptoms of damage to these organs.

- High blood pressure and or heart rate, again, after you're off the pills. Oh, and chest pains, either during or after use. The higher baseline heart rate means the valves in your ticker may not be opening and closing as well as they used to.

- Rotting teeth. The tightening of the small blood vessels in the body dries out you're mouth, so you don't make as much saliva as you should. Add some sugar, and voila!!!, big cavities. Quick.

- Flatter affect. You aren't able to experience pleasure the same way you did before the speed. On the plus side, I don't feels the lows that I used to. It sort of leveled me out. Real life seems boring. Supposedly, this effect heals with time.

- Psychosis. Hearing or seeing things that aren't there while or after using, especially voices and peripheral visual hallucinations. Paranoia. A sure sign that you need to stop. In the early stages, you know it's not real, so you're able to ignore it. Later on, you're not sure. Later still, it seems so real that you react, mostly by doing really stupid things.

Hope you find this useful

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, it's no joke... you are prob. fine, but I am 35 and after 10 years of steady abuse I see the damage. I even have a nutrition degree and I am so unhealthy. Adderall is to blame for my health. It's the one thing that had more control on me than anything else. After a couple years you might be okay but after 10 years and my other health problems... well I am on my last leg. I have to quit! Still struggling on that. sigh...