QuittingAdderall.com Forums

wellbutrin to quit adderall?

TheKingsPhoenix

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your replies! I tried wellbutrin and loved it at first. But I decided to just quit pills altogether. I've been a month sober, and despite the crazy weight gain I feel fantastic. I'm so happy I decided to quit, I feel so much more alive and human. I look forward to sleeping again, I can actually have decent conversations now. Sometimes I feel depressed but it goes away. And I can definitely deal with that. Im now working on eating healthy and working out. Any idea when my metabolism will be back to normal? Ive read it can take a while. Anywho...thanks again for replying I really appreciate it. Much love to you all.

• Like 2

I quit almost a year ago and for the most part I am doing well. But I still sometimes struggle with low energy, low motivation and depression, and sometimes wonder about trying Wellbutrin. Curious for those of you who have taken it and stopped, why did you stop? If you still take it, what does it do for you?

Cat,

I had pretty significant depression even at the year mark. I had tried Wellbutrin previously and didn't like it that much but after realizing Lexapro wasn't enough I gave Wellbutrin another shot. I'm glad I did. It works much differently than any other antidepressant I've tried. I finally felt happiness again that I don't remember feeling at all after post-quit. It does help with energy levels and focus for me (but it's nothing like adderall....thank goodness!) I struggled with just trying to overcome the inevitable depression that happens after quitting stimulants, but I have a long history of depression, and I felt like a year was a time I should feel at least glimpses of happiness. It's hard to remember, but this is the best I can remember how Wellbutrin helped me (and continues) to work for me. I hope I don't sound like a Wellbutrin drug rep...ha. A lot of people's depression lifts on it's own, and everyone's different, so it's a personal choice. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

I'm six months Adderall free, early in my recovery I was determined to never take another mood altering pill ever again. However about the 3 month mark my depression was so severe I went to see a Doctor. I was prescribed Zoloft. Its not a cure all, but after about 2 weeks I didn't seem to have such a deep depression.   Depression is tricky and anti-ds are just part of the solution. I also adopted a kitten which really helped too.  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Revisiting an old thread based on a search in the forums for Wellbutrin...

I'm 9+ months clean but going through a difficult time personally. I'm about to make a big career change and am feeling down and unmotivated. I want to be positive and look at all the positives of going back to grad school and working for a career I think will be much more fulfilling and meaningful for me. However, I'm struggling to get through day to day until that time. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm still in the tunnel.

I 100% do not want to go back on adderall. I made an appointment with my psych. to discuss antidepressants. I'm terrified of gaining weight (I gained enough coming off of adderall!). I've read such great things about Wellbutrin on here, but I'm also scared to start another drug after my adderall experience.

Is it habit forming? Will I have to take it every day? Will I be able to function on days I don't take it (looking at you, adderall hangovers)? Is there a withdrawal period if I stop taking it? Looking for your firsthand experiences vs what I read on WebMd. Thanks!

Revisiting an old thread based on a search in the forums for Wellbutrin...

I'm 9+ months clean but going through a difficult time personally. I'm about to make a big career change and am feeling down and unmotivated. I want to be positive and look at all the positives of going back to grad school and working for a career I think will be much more fulfilling and meaningful for me. However, I'm struggling to get through day to day until that time. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm still in the tunnel.

I 100% do not want to go back on adderall. I made an appointment with my psych. to discuss antidepressants. I'm terrified of gaining weight (I gained enough coming off of adderall!). I've read such great things about Wellbutrin on here, but I'm also scared to start another drug after my adderall experience.

Is it habit forming? Will I have to take it every day? Will I be able to function on days I don't take it (looking at you, adderall hangovers)? Is there a withdrawal period if I stop taking it? Looking for your firsthand experiences vs what I read on WebMd. Thanks!

Hey, congrats on your nine months of clean time, I went on an antidepressant as soon as I quit, and it helped a lot. Now I take it as an insurance policy kind of. I don't know if I'm depressed or need it anymore, but antidepressants are not addictive...they don't mess with your dopamine which is what most addictive drugs mess with in one form or another. I've been on antidepressant Effexor for four years and have zero addiction to it, and even forget to take it a lot, a lot of members have had success with Wellbutrin. I don't think you should be scared to take another drug. But it is really up to you...I know a lot of people who are against taking pills, period. and want to cure things more holistically with natural supplements. But either way congrats on getting into grad school and finding a more fulling Career opportunity!
  • Like 1