QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Has adderall affected your physical health?

converse

If you look up alcoholism online there is plenty of information about the stages of physical decline and associated diseases. There doesn't seem to be anything like this re the short and long term effects of chronic Adderall use (abuse, really). I'm not looking for a diagnosis here, but if anyone could share their experiences on this level I would be very appreciative. I often wonder if my cardiovascular health has been compromised by Adderall abuse.

Thanks for reading. I'm new here and so glad I found this forum. I don't feel alone anymore.

• Like 4

Hi converse, and welcome!!

The closest thing I know of is this post, the 8 stages of amphetamine use/abuse:

http://forum.quittingadderall.com/topic/879-8-stages-of-amphetamine-useabuse/#entry14469

It's more related to overall addiction, lifestyle, and mental rather than than physical health.  But it's very insightful.  Maybe there aren't as clear-cut stages of physical health decline with adderall?  I mean you can just read the black box warning that comes with your script..... they list a lot of health effects there, but not with an eye towards abuse or stages of progression. 

A lot of people on here have reported various physical health problems related to adderall.   BUT these also seem to be for the most part reversible.  Quitting and taking care of yourself can really do wonders-- The body has an amazing ability to regenerate.

Are you quitting (or considering it?)

• Like 2

When I was abusing heavily, I could really tell my heart wasn't right. I'd get dizzy for no reason. I'd walk up stairs and really think I was going to pass out. I'd get heart palpitations as well as my heart beating out of my chest sometimes. I had bad headaches frequently. I didn't need any research to know my body wasn't right, and I was seriously risking my health. That was my personal experience.

Also, studies have linked stimulant abuse to Parkinson's Disease. Learning that was one of the big reasons I decided to quit. I don't have statistics, but I think we have a sense of what's going on in our bodies and can often tell when something isn't right. As Occasional asked, are you trying to quit? Welcome to the forums!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All of the above. It aged me rapidly. I always have looked 10 years younger than I am. After 3 years running myself ragged, I look my age which is not as young as i wish. Been clean for six months now. So grateful for recovery .

I believe the most damage to health is cardiovascular and metabolic. The lack of sleep is terrible for you...increases cortisol and belly weight gain. I got varicose veins in my lower legs.

These health risks are serious business. The drug is awful for you. Stop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow!  I just joined this Quitting Adderall because only after one month of using as prescribed (30 mg generic) I have the way I feel.  I tried just "not taking it" on Saturday but was so lethargic that I caved.  Well, after reading all these horror stories all day, I flushed my script and now I am forced to go without.  I don't use illegally and I'm a professional.  In fact, I went to the doctor and merely told him I was having trouble focusing for long periods of time at work.  he asked me a couple of questions and BAM! I have add and I need Adderall. Honestly, at first, I enjoyed the intense focus power it gave me the first couple of weeks but that went very quickly and was replaced by terrible headaches and more mistakes at work.  I felt like I had to up my dose, but didn't.  I could tell my boss noticed my personality change and I don't think he liked it.

Anyways, I thank you guys for your stories, it is keeping me from using this crap again.  One thing is certain, this work week is going to be challenging so if anyone has any advice or positive words, they are appreciated.

• Like 4

Maisy14*, 

So glad you found us and decided to quit very early into your use of Adderall.   I imagine recovery will be short for you given your short period of use.  I expect you will be fatigued for a awhile but this should pass quickly.  You may want to mention to your doctor your symptoms to your doctor cutting off your supply is the best way to prevent relapse. 

• Like 2

Thanks!  today was hard though.  My brains went SPLAT! all over the wall and work was rather difficult.  I actually felt like leaving early and sleeping - which is NOT normal for me.  I may not be perfect but I really love my job and like to give it all I have.  All I had today was not very much though.  I'm hoping I'll fee better tomorrow.  If I hadn't flushed my script Sunday, I would have caved.

• Like 3

I'm still struggling with coming off of this drug, so far only manage to be drug free saturday & sunday. 

My physical symptoms:

• lack of appetite while on it; once it wears off I loose any will power to choose healthy options and pig out
  • hair loss completely; in the front and crown; it's weird beause at the nape of my neck the hair grows and is of normal healthy texture so I look like I have a mullet when not wearing a wig
  • pick at anything on my body.  I used to do this before, but on the drug I can look in the magnified mirror for hours picking & squeezing at things
  • skinny lower face; as if my bone density in that area has disappeared
  • Only get migraines on the 2 days that I'm off it which is weird
  • Sweat profusely, even when just sitting at my desk at work
  • lack of sleep; get 3-4 hours during mon-fri; which leads to just a constant feeling of exhaustion
  • Like 2

It helps to hear all of these stories.  I was only taking it for about three and a half weeks.  This is my fourth day off and I took the day off of work - which is NOT like me.  I feel guilty but my work load wasn't too heavy this week.  I needed to go get some B-12 shots and chill.  I'm back to work tomorrow no matter what.  The thing is, I absolutely love my profession and have a lot of passion for it.  This is why I began seeing someone and taking Adderall in the first place.  I want to be better at everything.  The thing is, I"m only human and the best I can do normally is WAYY better than I can do on adderall.  The Adderall killed my passion and work ethic- temporarily.  This drug is ridiculous and no joke.  I can't imagine taking it for longer periods of time, the withdrawal at that level must be insane.  You see, I'm a recovering meth and heroine addict - seven years.  It took an insane amount of time, patience and really hard work to get my life where it is at.  I should have known better than to take this medication on - prescribed or not - this is a legal form of meth and my past experience helped me to realize rather quickly that I had to put a complete stop to it. 

I wish everyone here the best of luck in their voyage to get away from this drug.  In the short time I was prescribed it, it has threatened my great success at conquering my drug addiction. 

• Like 2