QuittingAdderall.com Forums

3 resumes a day club

Greg

Hahaha Justin!

Update on my interview today: It went very well. I had a really good interviewer who talked a lot and made me feel as comfortable as possible, because he'd just throw in questions as we were talking about the job. I'm just waiting for my time with a really difficult interviewer. Anyway, he wanted me move on to step 2 of the interview process, so I go back in Monday to basically stay with one of their case managers all day to give me a view of what I'd be doing on a daily basis....pretty cool

• Like 3

Hahaha Justin!

Update on my interview today: It went very well. I had a really good interviewer who talked a lot and made me feel as comfortable as possible, because he'd just throw in questions as we were talking about the job. I'm just waiting for my time with a really difficult interviewer. Anyway, he wanted me move on to step 2 of the interview process, so I go back in Monday to basically stay with one of their case managers all day to give me a view of what I'd be doing on a daily basis....pretty cool

That is awesome!! Good job Ashley!!!! You must have done really well to get an immediate pass into round two.  :D

• Like 1

my update - 

...submitted more resumes today

...set up another informational interview...Dont forget to start the networking part guys!!

...and I heard back from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview for a job I applied for last week. I am really, really excited about this one. Almost as excited as I was for the Monday interview.  Kind of bummed that I missed her call. Hopefully we wont be playing phone tag.

• Like 1

Did you want to punch him in the face? That's super annoying. It's just more interview experience you've gained and can use for future interviews if this doesn't work out for you.

Punching him in the face would have been nice - but it might have hurt my chances a bit...but definitely it was good experience to practice more on tough questions.

im not holding my breath or anything but I dont think i would take this one even if worked out. I like this strategy of 'wait and see if something is better around the corner' because I'm liking the positions im getting interviews for much better as the process continues.

• Like 1

I hate that shit. Instead of focusing on our strengths, employers are obsessed with us improving our weaknesses. I think the key to answering those questions is to be casual and show them you dont take yourself to seriously and learn from your mistakes

I have had conflicting advice on the weaknesses. Some people say tell them a weakness but pick something that is really a strength in disguise - like "I am a workaholic" Other people say that is the first way to frustrate your interviewer so pick a real weakness. I went with the latter route and picked a real weakness, but out of the air, not because i felt it was a real weakness, but because I had to answer that dumb question, I said "sometimes im afraid to ask for help"

Dang. That was the WRONG weakness. He went off on how the position required you to ask for help..blah blah...I got killed on that question. I think that lost it for me. Well u live and learn. 

• Like 1

I have had conflicting advice on the weaknesses. Some people say tell them a weakness but pick something that is really a strength in disguise - like "I am a workaholic" Other people say that is the first way to frustrate your interviewer so pick a real weakness. I went with the latter route and picked a real weakness, but out of the air, not because i felt it was a real weakness, but because I had to answer that dumb question, I said "sometimes im afraid to ask for help"

Dang. That was the WRONG weakness. He went off on how the position required you to ask for help..blah blah...I got killed on that question. I think that lost it for me. Well u live and learn.

I usually say that as a weakness too but the way I say it is "Sometimes I have a hard time asking for help because I like figuring things out on my own." It's true. Another one is "I need quiet time to think of new ideas so I have a hard time focusing in a perpetually loud work environment." Yeah, definitely don't say "I work too hard" or "I'm a perfectionist" lol.

I usually say that as a weakness too but the way I say it is "Sometimes I have a hard time asking for help because I like figuring things out on my own." It's true. Another one is "I need quiet time to think of new ideas so I have a hard time focusing in a perpetually loud work environment." Yeah, definitely don't say "I work too hard" or "I'm a perfectionist" lol.

I like the idea of saying Sometimes...i have a hard time asking for help. :)     Although I think im scarred from ever giving that answer again.

btw, bummer, I just found out my interview is for an Information Technology position and I was thinking it was for the marketing department. I dont really have the background for IT. I tried to see if the recruiter could switch me over to marketing and she said she would tell the recruiter who is calling me and note that on my file.  The careers section of their website is down so I can't even pull up a position description of either the marketing or IT positions. How should I prepare for and approach the call? should i just say that I'm interested in marketing only right off the bat? or ... just go with it and interview for IT and then mention Im interested in marketing? Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do? sigh, maybe i just need to let this one go. 

• Like 1

U all probably have seen my other post now on benzo withdrawal. I can't afford to let it get in the way of life because I have way too much shit to get done. And I have no intentions of stopping either this club or the running. Running is actually supposed to be good for benzo withdrawal.

I have been taking benzos before interviews but tomorrow I won't be. I decided there is no way I can interview for an IT position because that was not my major. There was a little piece of my background that dealt with IT, but I can't sell myself as IT. I will try my hardest to get them to switch me to marketing otherwise I will just have to let this one go.

• Like 2

InRecovery, reading through your interviewing adventures is starting to cause me a fair amount of anxiety in regards to my career search when I complete my degree.  Maybe a B.S. + past experience won't be enough?  Not to mention the grueling interview processes that you have endured; I'm not sure that I would be able to handle what you have done with such grace!

Great news that you were able to change to marketing!

I was doing an informal degree audit this morning and it looks like I have to burn up some credits for a residency requirement and total credit requirement.  Do you think a minor in MIS or a minor in international business is more attractive to perspective employers in this market?  I feel that I could do either one realistically. Or better yet, which does each minor communicate to a prospective employer?

Back on topic (sorry about the thread drift) how is everyone doing on resume submission lately?

I was SO nervous. I honestly can't tell how it went. Nothing too difficult. Pretty basic questions. I think it went fine??

I got my first denial letter for the Tuesday job. Let's just assume that will be the first of many, many denials for me, unless u hear otherwise, I didn't get it. :(  I plan on this taking a while for me. I might have to bypass internship and just go straight to full time job hunting.

I got another phone interview though for Monday. It was for something I submitted more than a week ago.  Have you been keeping up with submitting? i've been staying on track the last couple days.

Great news that you were able to change to marketing!

I was doing an informal degree audit this morning and it looks like I have to burn up some credits for a residency requirement and total credit requirement.  Do you think a minor in MIS or a minor in international business is more attractive to perspective employers in this market?  I feel that I could do either one realistically. Or better yet, which does each minor communicate to a prospective employer?

Back on topic (sorry about the thread drift) how is everyone doing on resume submission lately?

hmm.. I am not an expert or anything but it would make sense to me if you minored in MIS because you are IT. They seem to go hand in hand right?

Thanks for the resume reminder. I submitted for three positions today i found on monster.

• Like 1

Ashley, how did your interview go??

I had mine and I cannot tell how I did! Im going to say this is no-go for me. My background in the field i was interviewing for, HR, may not have been relevant enough for an HR position. I regret not researching HR job responsibilities well enough. I didnt feel like i had enough knowledge to be able to speak about it well enough. The recruiter said she was interviewing with a lot of people so im DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY not getting my hopes up. Also we got phone disconnected halfway through. It was my fault. But each one is a good practice for the next. Anyway, Im really glad its over.

edit - Also I got a second round interview for the Marketing internship (the one i converted from an IT interview to Marketing interview) from Last Friday. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting a second round interview! I just got done doing a ride along, which is basically going with a case worker all day, to get an idea of the job. It would be a lot of responsibility and work, but I think there's a good chance I would like it. I asked the girl I was riding with the next step, and she said she'll have to report to her boss how it went. I felt like it well??? I guess in a way this was part of the process to see how I handled it. I'll keep you posted! In the meantime, I'm going to get back on submitting resumes starting tomorrow.

• Like 3

Justin,

Typically, yes, I wouldn't like that response, but since I didn't speak with the guy the does the hiring, I knew that would be the case. Plus, I'm really on the fence about this job. It's a lot to take on, and I'd see some very sad situations....but lets be honest, it will probably hurt my confidence a little if I don't get it.

• Like 1

Ashley, don't you just hate that response?  The unknown is always worse than knowing either way.

funny. I actually prefer to not hear back!! because then im not reminded of the interview having happened. I just try to move on quickly after its over to submitting more resumes, the next interview or networking or whatever. if i hear something positive from them it is an unexpected surprise.

I also try to think of each interview as one entry into a sweepstakes.  :D   :D Each additional interview = An additional sweepstakes entry + some free practice

There's no way to know why a job doesn't pan out. There are so many factors that may have nothing to do with how the interview went! Like maybe the interviewer was in a bad mood. Or maybe someone with the exact credentials they needed interviewed right beforehand. Or maybe they realized they didnt have enough budget to hire someone. This happened to one of my co-workers. Actually, worse. They extended her an offer then took it back a week later for budget reasons.

I have another interview tomorrow - its with several people through a virtual cam! I've never interviewed this way before. I submitted to this company over a week ago and I was basically given one days notice to prepare.  I just went to Best Buy to buy a webcam for it.This interview is for finance - and I'm worried it will be similar to the ones MFA was describing during her job search - brainteasers, stumpers etc. But I just dont have the time to prepare for something like that.  Anyway, it just occurred to me that it is only 6 weeks before summer begins. So I have to deal with the reality that I might not find anything in time. At least though it will be an early start to the regular job search.

Has everyone submitted their three for today?

• Like 1