QuittingAdderall.com Forums

3 resumes a day club

Greg

Glad you are updating your resume and joining the club!

I would definitely take contract to hire. If i understand correctly that is basically freelance work. That could always turn into long term work. I'm not sure about geography. That's probably a personal decision.

I started working on resumes, then I got annoyed because they were asking so many questions....ha. I should probably go back tonight and just do them. I wasn't busy or in a hurry, so I had no excuse. I'm getting to the point where I'm not seeing jobs I want....then I started thinking, I don't think I know what I want to do. Again, another benefit of just submitting lots of resumes, I guess....if I don't finish them tonight (I'm at work), I'll do 6 tomorrow.

• Like 1

I started working on resumes, then I got annoyed because they were asking so many questions....ha. I should probably go back tonight and just do them. I wasn't busy or in a hurry, so I had no excuse. I'm getting to the point where I'm not seeing jobs I want....then I started thinking, I don't think I know what I want to do. Again, another benefit of just submitting lots of resumes, I guess....if I don't finish them tonight (I'm at work), I'll do 6 tomorrow.

yes, just submit wherever. I dont really pay close attention; im more focused on just submitting it. the questions are annoying. today i was on a website and they were having difficulties and it kept losing my data and i had to enter the same info 4 times before it saved which was frustrating. Overall, though, I am getting used to the submitting process.

Glad you are updating your resume and joining the club!

I would definitely take contract to hire. If i understand correctly that is basically freelance work. That could always turn into long term work. I'm not sure about geography. That's probably a personal decision.

In this case it isn't freelance work, it's a "try before you buy" situation.  The thought of uprooting my family is a bit of a bummer.

funny. I actually prefer to not hear back!! because then im not reminded of the interview having happened. I just try to move on quickly after its over to submitting more resumes, the next interview or networking or whatever. if i hear something positive from them it is an unexpected surprise.

I also try to think of each interview as one entry into a sweepstakes.  :D   :D Each additional interview = An additional sweepstakes entry + some free practice

I have another interview tomorrow - its with several people through a virtual cam! I've never interviewed this way before. I submitted to this company over a week ago and I was basically given one days notice to prepare.  I just went to Best Buy to buy a webcam for it.This interview is for finance - and I'm worried it will be similar to the ones MFA was describing during her job search - brainteasers, stumpers etc. But I just dont have the time to prepare for something like that.  Anyway, it just occurred to me that it is only 6 weeks before summer begins. So I have to deal with the reality that I might not find anything in time. At least though it will be an early start to the regular job search.

Has everyone submitted their three for today?

I like the sweepstakes analogy.

It is difficult to prep for the grilling questions.  Maybe you could go over some of the Q&A from Google interviews that are around the web?  I find that they help get me in a mindframe to think outside of the box.  I am apprehensive about interviewing with groups of people because I find that it isn't all that productive and it's tough to dazzle everyone in a room.  Good luck with it though!

I revised my resume yesterday and still am not 100% satisfied that it is "me on a sheet of paper".  The recruiter will probably be disappointed because I was unable to make all of the changes that he suggested while maintaining a cohesive document.  I have to find a way to get it out of my mind and move on at this point which is difficult for me.  I hate writing resumes which is probably why I have considered hiring a wrtiting service at a couple of points in my life.

I just finished my interview...I think it went....?????????????? I spent the entire morning trying to make sure the camera would work properly because i had intermittent internet connection. I would really, really love to have this position. But... its only a first round and there are tons of candidates. So...onward to the next....

a bunch - not sure. I have received one internship offer in marketing so far, but I turned it down in hopes of getting something better. its nice to know i got one at least. I am basically trying to interview in the industries that i am interested in -- marketing and finance and a few others...

My grades are taking a beating from the interview process though. I was preparing for this interview today. but I have to turn in a 6 page paper tomorrow which i didn't start and an excel data spreadsheet so I am kind of screwed.

I am so grateful for this thread and going through this with you all. I honestly would have done NOTHING probably if it weren't for this thread. Now it is starting to feel routine. I cant believe I used to be scared of submitting a resume. Its just a few stupid clicks of the mouse and some typing! This thread helped me overcome that fear.  I submitted for three jobs today.

Did you guys?

• Like 1

Well, I've been slacking sooo badly on submitting resumes....did not do 6 today like I said. I need to jump on it!

Also, I got that job offer today. I feel like I should be more excited, but to be honest, I just feel confused if I want it. I think I would really like the job, BUT here's my issue. I'm curious what others think about this.

A lot of clients I'll be dealing with had/have drug problems. We went to pretty seedy neighborhoods on the ride along, which really doesn't bother me, except for the fact that I felt triggery. I had actually bought adderall once in that neighborhood. Just being in the house of the client made me think of adderall a lot. This sounds crazy because I truly do have a passion for a job like this, but I did not expect to feel the way I did, and it scared me. I wish I could pinpoint why I would feel this way, because it's the only thing stopping me from accepting the offer really. I let adderall hold me back for so long, and I hate that my mind still lets it get in the way. I think it's fear. I don't know. I'd really appreciate your input, my dear friends.

Congratulations Ashley on the job offer.  I have no advice for you on what to do, sorry.  It sounds like an awful situation that you will need to move past at some point in your life; the ostrich mentality will only get you so far.  I'm fairly conservative so I wouldn't be willing to confront demons like that until I was assured success.  OTOH, you are a very strong person and I don't doubt that you could do it if you set your mind to it!

Do employers still Google possible candidates? I did it today to see if anything needed to be resolved and I only got a list of patents with my name on them and my pilot certificate information.

I think they can easily do so. I think its a good thing you double checked to be safe.

Edit - do u have a linkedin profile? I have heard it is good to have one so if employers check on you they know you are tech savvy enough to use social media.

• Like 1

Hey Ashley, if you truly have a passion for it, this would be something strongly to consider because you will be doing it day after day and if you are interested in your work u will be happy there.  Did you like the people you interviewed with? I think you are strong enough to avoid a relapse and are wise enough to post here if you feel yourself headed that way like I did just recently. Will you always be visiting these 'triggery areas' on your job? You are right about you shouldn't let adderall hold you back. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Ashley,

I agree with InRecovery.  It is a job and you will learn how to cope (or not) as you gain more experience.   If you find those trigger moments are indeed challenging your sobriety, I can't think of a better place to be working where you can get some additional counseling to confront those trigger issues, because, like Justin said, they will need to be confronted at some point in your life.  I think you are truly in a position where you can made a difference in other's lives because of your deep understanding of addiction.  From all of your experience around here, I believe you are already prepared for the many failures (of others to stay clean) you will encounter in the field of addiction counseling.  How would you feel in a year if you turned it down?  Would you be wondering "what if...."?   How would you feel in a year if it didn't work out and you actually had an even better job because you gained the experience?   Considering you did not major in the field, I think it is remarkable you got this offer especially considering they had internal candidates, and also that you have not had many other interviews yet.  Congratulations!. 

• Like 2

Quitonce and InRecovery,

Thank you for the feedback. This job is working with the children of parents who have gotten their children either taken away or are on the verge of doing so.....often times because of drugs. Department of Child Services hires this company to go in and try to improve the environment/situation....the end goal being the parents getting custody of their child/children back. I might have made it confusing, because the other job offer I got, the one I actually really wanted, was the one that I think you're thinking of, quit once....the one at the drug rehab facility. It just wouldn't hardly pay the bills, so unfortunately, it just isn't plausible.

To answer your question, InRecovery, I would be in that neighborhood most days most likely. The job entails so much that it's a little hard to even explain. The girl I did the ride along with has done drug testing at the houses as well as counting pills, but she's unsure if I'd be doing that. Anyway, I've been blessed with you all on this site to help me along the way with my recovery. This experience could really pay off, especially because I have to start somewhere. I just wish the feeling of uneasiness about the job wasn't there. I do think there's a time to stop avoiding out of fear. Also, a friend of mine knows a girl that knows some people that work there and are "miserable." I realize I might be overanalyzing this, but you guys know me by now. It's kind of my MO :)

oh, God, working with children?  I had no idea that was what this job entails.  I absolutely could not do that in any capacity.  Sorry, I thought it was the rehab counselor job.  I would like to take back all I just wrote in my prior post.  My job takes me into daycare homes and centers, sometimes, and just today I was at a swimming pool full of screamers.  It usually ruins my day.  Congratulations anyway 

Hahahaha. Quit once, I love kids, but your response is funny.

If you need a job you can always take it and keep looking. I know a few social workers and the ones that aren't burned out are the ones that are detached and don't get emotionally involved in their jobs at all.

I just had my second round interview - I think it went well. We talked about college basketball and NCAA brackets the whole time. I've never had an interview like that.

And then he said to email him anytime and if i had questions...and then at the end he said that this was "a great conversation and we'll move it along". "And he said...when you start make sure you take the opportunity to network etc..." 

And then he said something about sending him this website that I mentioned that I use to keep myself organized.

Ugh. I am like overanalyzing everything he said. What does that mean?????? good sign??

This would be a dream internship for me. 

• Like 1

It sounds like things went very well!

My suggestion is to write a follow up email and include the website link for his review.  If you don't get a response in a few days you will have an excuse to write another email because hyperlinks in emails sometimes go directly to the SPAM quarantine.

Congratulations on getting out there and getting things done.

It sounds like things went very well!

My suggestion is to write a follow up email and include the website link for his review.  If you don't get a response in a few days you will have an excuse to write another email because hyperlinks in emails sometimes go directly to the SPAM quarantine.

Congratulations on getting out there and getting things done.

He just shot me over an email with the subject line "pleasure to speak to you" saying it was great chatting.

I shot back an email with the link. I hope it doesn't get spammed out!!!

Anyway, he says to keep him in the loop as I move through the interview process. (Maybe he will pass me into a third round - ugh THIRD round???) Or maybe just being a nice guy. I dont know.

He also said something like 90% of the people he passes through in interviews end up getting into the program. Thats why recruiting always asks him to do phone interviews.

Even if I make it to the next round. I will end up in that 10% lol.