QuittingAdderall.com Forums

help with afternoon slump

Krax

I've been clean for over a year. I recently realized how much of my anxiety for the last few months has been the result of drinking too much caffeine, so I've cut my coffee down and that is great, but as I have for some time now in the afternoon I just can't get moving to do stuff.  So I would welcome and appreciate ideas for dealing with this, that do not include caffeine. Thanks.

• Like 2

I've had the same experience, Krax, but took me a while to figure out!

I recently started doing TM 2x/day. It's only been a couple weeks, but I feel refreshed and invigorated after my after my afternoon meditation.

It's 20 minutes a session, and I feel a little awkward closing the door to my office in the afternoon and turning off the phone, but hey - I used to wait about 20 minutes to come up on Adderall at least 2x/day so what the hell?

• Like 1

I've had the same experience, Krax, but took me a while to figure out!

I recently started doing TM 2x/day. It's only been a couple weeks, but I feel refreshed and invigorated after my after my afternoon meditation.

It's 20 minutes a session, and I feel a little awkward closing the door to my office in the afternoon and turning off the phone, but hey - I used to wait about 20 minutes to come up on Adderall at least 2x/day so what the hell?

Thanks I appreciate your input - is there a resource you can direct me to to find out more about TM?

I struggle in the afternoons also.  I was coming down on myself pretty hard until I looked around at everyone else in the office and I realized that they get through their days with multiple cups of coffee and a couple cans of pop whereas I limit my caffeine intake to one can of Mountain Dew mid-day.  I can't offer any good advice; just commiseration is all.

What is your diet like? Do you bring your lunch to work or go out to eat? Whenever I go out for lunch I feel tired after because I eat so much more than I would if I would have brought something. I eat small meals every few hours - that seems to help with having a consistent energy level throughout the day. I feel good in the afternoons when I eat a kale salad for lunch (I put chickpeas, veggies and goat cheese in it). Sardines on whole wheat crackers also gives me a ton of energy (boneless, skinless sardines in olive oil are delicious). I keep protein bars, fruit and veggies at my desk so I have healthy food to grab if I need a snack.

Maybe you can try drinking green tea or yerba mate tea in place of the coffee? It's got some caffeine but less than coffee. I've been wanting to drink more green tea. Another thing that helps me is taking 10 minute walks around my office complex several times a day.

• Like 2

Agree with Cassie.  I find that eating really healthy meals really helps.  I try to make my diet pretty low glycemic to avoid the crash-and-burn of sugar and carbs..... proteins and fats give more sustained, slowly burning energy.

Also, do you exercise?  Could you work out on your lunch break?  Or maybe have it as something to look forward to after work?  

Also, if you have ANY option of choosing which task to do and when, I'd take advantage of it.  Mixing it up while working helps keep me interested.  

• Like 1

Ya I know it sounds great but the way these celebs are all over it reminds me of scientology or something

Seinfeld is a great pitch man. I looked into pricing.

Adult: $1310+ GST
Student: $655+ GST
Children under 10: $327.50+ GST
Family (parents and all dependent children 18 years and under) $2145+ GST

I don't think it can do any harm. But its alot of money. I think an afternoon in the library reading up on meditation teqniques would have the same effect. 
  • Like 1

Seinfeld is a great pitch man. I looked into pricing.

Adult: $1310+ GST

Student: $655+ GST

Children under 10: $327.50+ GST

Family (parents and all dependent children 18 years and under) $2145+ GST

I don't think it can do any harm. But its alot of money. I think an afternoon in the library reading up on meditation teqniques would have the same effect.

True dat

It appears I erred in thinking leading with Seinfeld would be a way to help people identify.

I have zero interest in joining a spiritual organization, and don't think I've been indoctrinated into a cult.

I originally heard of TM from my mother, who took a course like 30 years ago. She says it really helped her while she practiced, and did wonders for her dry alcoholic/addict father who was...lets say...an emotionally unstable rageaholic (loved popping a few dex to get the night started...sound familiar?).

I then came across it reading about Ray Dalio, currently the largest hedge fund manager in the world. He swears by it for its practical use. Before I got clean, I thought "hey, a lot of successful people I admire personally and professionally seem to get a lot out of this...it might be something interesting to try." I went to a (free) introductory session, but was well on my way to spiraling out of control in my addiction and never followed up.

Like prayer and the spiritual aspect of AA, it's been my experience that it works. Pure and simple. I didn't get clean to find God, or spend time with fellow addicts, or get into meditation, or any of that stuff, but they help me on a number of levels. If they didn't, I'd move on.

TM has helped me since I started practicing.

It cost $960, paid in 4 monthly installments, and for that I got over an hour of time with my teachers (a wonderful husband and wife team) for four consecutive days. I then went back 10 days later for a "check," where we meditated together and I got to share my experience and ask questions stemming from my practice. 

I have done tons of mindfulness meditation, EMDR, tried binaural beats...you name it. TM is different. It's easy. You just close your eyes, repeat your mantra in your head, let thoughts come and go as they will and see what happens. Its effects on me during, immediately after, and especially throughout the day are significantly more profound than anything I have tried in the past. Significantly.

Increased energy, emotional balance (read: reduced anxiety), healthy relation to others (retaining "perspective"), everything really. I'm going to keep using it because it works. And, without Adderall, I know I have attention/energy/emotional/other issues that require active management, and I'd rather try anything than chase the dream of replacing Adderall with neutropics or become resigned to the hopeless and delusional idea that my best self is behind me.

I have no interest in yogic flying, becoming a monk, or any of that. On the flip side, I'm glad I didn't write it off before giving it a try because some people who use it appear to be nucking futs.

I will categorically say it is not a scam. I believe there are scholarships available, and the price is significantly reduced if you are a current student. 

I justified the cost by comparing it to the ~$250/session my therapist ran me. This was about the same, but I can carry the practice with me for the rest of my life (if I so choose), and continue to ask questions via email, go back periodically to meditate with my teacher, check out lectures at regional TM centers, etc., at no additional cost.

Anyway, I'm not an evangelist - just wanted to share something that's really helping me, especially now that I'm back living on my own and working full time.

• Like 2

Fair enough.  I was actually interested enough to get pricing from my local centre. The prices I posted are canadian dollars. I think when I have the resources I might look into it.  Some of the literature and articles on the web do make it seem kinda cult like.  I guess anything can easily be labelled a cult.  

Given the amount of money I've spent on stims,anti-ds, therapists and so on. The price is actually quite reasonable.  

Krax,

I've been making myself "homemade vitamin waters" -- I drink with lunch or throughout the day and I'm really digging them. Very refreshing, a tiny pick me up and helps you drink more water without even realizing it.

It's just regular old water mixed with some fresh fruit and/or lemon and cucumber slices and/or spices.

I mix it in a 4cup (2 pints) mason jar but a water bottle or pitcher would work as well.

Today I had chilled water mixed with 2 large (chopped) strawberries, 3 blackberries (cut in half), and half a lemon (sliced in wheels) and the other half squeezed into the water. When you run out of water, just add more. I love it. Your drinking more water while getting more natural vitamins and some extra energy.

There are so many combos:

Lemon and cucumber
Strawberry and Kiwi slices
Strawberry, blueberry and blackberry
Mint and Strawberry
Mint and Lemon
Lime and Strawberry
Strawberry and cucumber
Lemon, Lime and Orange slices
Lemon and Ginger
I've made a Detox Apple Cinnamon water once, as well…

The possibilities are endless and this is so GOOD for summer. I know it's nothing like a cup of coffee but drinking this throughout the day can be beneficial, especially overtime.

You can also do this with green tea (or anykind of tea but first brew it as you would normally) -- make it an ice green tea with added ice, lemon, fruit slices and fresh sliced ginger.

--

Eating Superfoods (kale, almonds, etc.) and foods high in protein also may help.

There are also new natural and/or organic energy shots (like 5 hour energy) but healthier, you can find at health food stores.

Goodluck!

• Like 3

Krax,

I've been making myself "homemade vitamin waters" -- I drink with lunch or throughout the day and I'm really digging them. Very refreshing, a tiny pick me up and helps you drink more water without even realizing it.

It's just regular old water mixed with some fresh fruit and/or lemon and cucumber slices and/or spices.

I mix it in a 4cup (2 pints) mason jar but a water bottle or pitcher would work as well.

Today I had chilled water mixed with 2 large (chopped) strawberries, 3 blackberries (cut in half), and half a lemon (sliced in wheels) and the other half squeezed into the water. When you run out of water, just add more. I love it. Your drinking more water while getting more natural vitamins and some extra energy.

There are so many combos:

Lemon and cucumber

Strawberry and Kiwi slices

Strawberry, blueberry and blackberry

Mint and Strawberry

Mint and Lemon

Lime and Strawberry

Strawberry and cucumber

Lemon, Lime and Orange slices

Lemon and Ginger

I've made a Detox Apple Cinnamon water once, as well…

The possibilities are endless and this is so GOOD for summer. I know it's nothing like a cup of coffee but drinking this throughout the day can be beneficial, especially overtime.

You can also do this with green tea (or anykind of tea but first brew it as you would normally) -- make it an ice green tea with added ice, lemon, fruit slices and fresh sliced ginger.

--

Eating Superfoods (kale, almonds, etc.) and foods high in protein also may help.

There are also new natural and/or organic energy shots (like 5 hour energy) but healthier, you can find at health food stores.

Goodluck!

Thanks I'll try that
  • Like 1