QuittingAdderall.com Forums

SOOO Bored

Kev9765

I've been off adderall for about 3 months after 4 - 4 1/2 yrs of abuse/addiction. I'm proud of myself & it's great not having to deal with the crashes, the depression, the paranoia, the insomnia, the OCD, the irritability, the erratic thinking, the confusion, etc., etc., etc.

That being said, I can't remember being so bored in my entire life. I definitely don't remember being this bored before being introduced to adderall. And I'm busy and doing things that I've always had a passion for. I started writing screenplays & short stories again, I'm playing my guitar, I'm back into strength training, I got a new job that I'm doing great with, and I started dating my ex who I left when I was in my adderall-induced manic grandiose narcissistic super-asshole state of mind; I've wanted her back for a year and she forgave me & is giving me another chance.

I should be ecstatic about life, but I'm just bored... all the time. I'm bored when I go to the bar w/ my buddies; I'm bored during sex (don't tell my ex:), I'm bored when I go to the movies; with everything.

I should be thrilled that I'm out of adderall hell that nearly completely destroyed my life. I know I sound ungrateful, but I can't help it, I'm like, "what is the point of life?" Is this normal for someone who's been off adderall for this amount of time or is there just something wrong with me?

Take care, everyone!

• Like 1

I learned a word from Cassie that perfectly describes your condition: Anhedonia.  Apparently I can't even spell it right but what it means is the inability to experience joy or pleasure from the things in life that should be enjoyable.  It is a perfectly normal side effect from quitting.  Congrats on getting your life back together so quickly after quitting, and hang in there, the first year is filled with ups and downs and bouts of depression........ and boredom.

Have you tried taking L-tyrosine? 

L-Tyrosine is still my go-to happy pill 3+years after quitting.

It's a legit side effect Kev, and we've all been there!  

But I also truly believe in fighting it as much as you can, as soon as you can, because I have always believed that life is way too short, and too amazing, to allow ourselves to be bored for too long if we can help it!   That's how I've been dealing with the quitting-related anhedonia anyway.  And even if whatever I'm doing isn't that fun, or even if I REALLY don't wanna, I do it anyway, as long as it's either fun or has some purpose.    I make myself get out of bed early, drink coffee, and just do something, anything, to get my day going.   I make plans with friends and force myself to keep them.  Make lists, listen to music, dance, work out, do something for YOU.  I know, you're not going to feel the same enjoyment you're used to.  Just do it anyway.  Press on.  Don't let the boredom monster eat you alive!!!!!!  

• Like 1

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha  Thank you for making me laugh out loud!!   

Excel is pretty much the epitome of BORING!!!!!

Haha. Something I've noticed making a comeback are my comedic skills.  Adderall and  the subsequent depression/  anhedonia took that away from me. I've been feeling really good lately. Good things are happening. 

• Like 3

Haha. Something I've noticed making a comeback are my comedic skills.  Adderall and  the subsequent depression/  anhedonia took that away from me. I've been feeling really good lately. Good things are happening. 

I've noticed that ZK, you've been making me laugh lately.   I had no idea you had such a sharp sense of humor :)   

• Like 1

focus on the process, inspiration will come. I totally know where you are coming from on Adderall it was like Angels sang everytime I opened excel. Life is just different now it takes some time to readjust.

That excel line had me cracking up yesterday when I read it too. Hahaha
  • Like 1