QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Sleep study

ashley6

So, I've been struggling with being very tired like....since I quit adderall. It really has become a way of life for me to sleep like 14-16 hours after my busy work weeks. I sleep as much as I can in a night. I work so much as this job. My boyfriend convinced me I should probably figure out what's going on with me, so I told my doctor how much I can and want to sleep, and also that I have weird jerking movements sometimes at night. I asked them to refer me to a sleep study place. I had my consult today with the doctor for sleep disorders. I told him a lot about myself, including my history of adderall addiction, and how I've struggled with being tired ever since then. He wants to rule out narcolepsy. He says I show some signs, but he wants to monitor my sleep overnight in two weeks. I'm so so so scared of having a debilitating sleep disorder, because, as you all know, I'm a speed addict. Quit-once, I remember you saying in a post awhile back that if we ever had narcolepsy, we couldn't treat it with stimulants because we basically burned those bridges. The doctor then said something about Nuvigil or Provigal. I said wait, are those stimulants? I was VERY upfront with him about the seriousness of my speed addiction, so be said I'd have to be really careful. He said it's much less addictive, but in my heart of hearts, I know I can't be on something that increases wakefulness and works on dopamine receptors. It made me feel physically sick that I had a thought like....wow, I would like that. I cried in our consultation. Adderall made my life so awful, but the thought crept in, and it sickens me. It's so hard being tired so often and trying to work so many hours, but I know the alternative would be much worse. I knew I needed to come here after that appointment today because I scared myself. I'm going to try to be optimistic that I don't have narcolepsy, but it's hard. I would appreciate any feedback!!!

no you don't think you have narcolopsy!!

Because if you do then a lot of people have it. I think its normal, when you are putting so much time into work to just be exhausted.  During my 10 week summer job, I looked forward to getting to sleep on the weekends. And I definitely needed to sleep 14-16 hours and nap too over the weekends. Work is exhausting. 

There are all these tech things that are getting popular with tracking sleep like fitbits and I even talked to someone who uses this website http://www.sleepcycle.com/

Here is another link

http://lifehacker.com/5993005/five-best-sleep-tracking-gadgets-or-apps

I DO believe that some people are blessed and just dont need much sleep. Unfortunately I need a lot of sleep...I dont think there is an issue with you, just that you are exhausted and you need to recover.

But others weigh in...

It could be worse, I have a friend who had to work 22 hours one day last week,  21 hours the next day, for an average of about 17 hours per day at the office. He's pretty miserable. Also imagine doctors, I dont think they even get to leave the hospital!

• Like 1

((HUGS)) to you Ashley!

I think it is great you are trying to get to the bottom of this issue.  Life is too short to sleep it all away!  I feel my best when I have gotten around seven hours of sleep per night but everybody has different needs.  The longer I sleep the more tired I feel the next day.

I really hope you don't have narcolepsy, but just in case you do here is my two cents:

First  - take the stimulant option off the table.  I really do believe that bridge has been burned and there is no going back without a return to your addiction.  Good for you for being adamant and honest with this Dr. regarding your past issues.  I might be completely fucking wrong, too, and maybe there is such a thing as a non-speed stimulant. 

Secondly - find another doctor if this guy even suggests going back on stimulants.  But maybe there are no other options...leading to my third point, which is to bag the traditional medicine approach and seek alternative treatment - like naturepathy, reflexology, hypnosis, or Eastern (oriental) medicine.  there are probably many more options.  No point getting too wrapped up in it until you have a diagnosis or rule out narcolepsy.  Maybe you could send a PM to Freedom's Wings, as she struggles with narcolepsy.  Maybe she could tell you about the symptoms.    I don't know much about it but it is my understanding that narcolepsy causes one to just fall asleep uncontrollably during the day, rather than (or in addition to?) requiring long uninterrupted periods of sleep.  There also might be other diseases or conditions that cause a great need for sleep.  I am glad you are finally trying to fix it.  good luck.

Did you require this much sleep before beginning your Adderall journey?

• Like 2

I thought narcolepsy was when you fall asleep while you're in the middle of doing things or not being able to sleep for a long stretch, not just needing a lot of sleep. I know tons of people who work long hours during the week and sleep a lot on the weekends. I think that's fairly common.

Obviously stimulants aren't an option. I remember reading in On Speed that the first sign amphetamines were addictive was when scores of people with narcolepsy began getting addicted to them in the 1930s. How easily we ignore history. Maybe you should tell these doctors that you can't tolerate stimulants, rather than you were addicted, because obviously these morons don't think stimulants are addictive despite you spilling your goddamn guts about it.

Before adderall I almost did a sleep study because I was tired a lot too and I thought I had narcolepsy. Then I found speed and we all know how that turned out! Thinking I had narcolepsy was an excuse for not putting in the effort to have more energy, like eating right (I eat 4-5 small healthy meals a day), being active daily, not smoking, and getting off all prescription drugs - including caffeine.

Now that I've put in the work to have natural energy, I have it.You know you can't just take a pill.

• Like 1

Well, it makes me feel a little bit better that it can be normal to feel exhausted after a busy week at work. I stopped knowing when it's normal to feel tired when I used speed for so long, and then had a job that was not demanding. However, I don't think it's normal to feel like I could nap at any point in the day. It's not every day, but a lot of days. I read more on narcolepsy and like most things, it isn't cut and dry, and narcolepsy affects people differently. I do need to eat better and get back to exercising for many reasons, but this is an especially good reason. I still plan on doing the sleep study, because I want to know if there's more to it than that. I appreciate all of your input. I needed to hear that speed isn't an option!!! I know what a disaster that would be, I just needed some solid reminders.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a sleep study in the summer time. They suggested provigil so I tried it. It is not considered to be a stimulant. I tried it after being 4 months adderall free. It had the adverse effects on me. It made me more tired than I already was and extremely nauseous!!! I do not recommend that drug!!!!!!!! It's never to late to get back on track and get off the stimulants. You may want to look into getting your thyroid checked!!! A thyroid disorder will make you extremely tired all the time. Good luck😃😃

I'm glad to hear from someone who's had firsthand experience with a sleep study. Did they come up with a diagnosis or just threw medication at you? I've been off of stimulants for over 2 years. It's just a reminder of how much I used stimulants as a crutch in my life, and they turned out to almost destroy me. I know I CAN deal with the tiredness much more than I can deal with a drug that controlled/almost destroyed my life. I have to continue to remind myself of that....thanks for your input!