QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Who has a legitimate ADHD diagnosis?

SoulRevival

Hi All,

I'm curious how many Adderallics actually have an ADHD diagnosis, or if you just faked symptoms for the prescription. I'm interested in hearing the stories of people who have a real ADHD diagnosis and are trying to stay off Adderall because using it had serious negative effects on their life. I'm someone who has ADHD, and also seriously abused Adderall. I take Strattera now which is the main non-stimulant medication that treats ADHD. I'm very aware of all the ways in which the diagnosis affects my life, which makes staying off a drug that treats those symptoms even more difficult. When I get stressed out from work, my mind automatically defaults to - "This wouldn't be happening if I could treat my ADHD like everyone else." I've been off Adderall for a year and a half, and plan to stay that way. But managing symptoms of ADHD, especially difficulty with impulse control and low frustration tolerance, makes staying off any drug even harder. Any support, or personal experience is welcome and appreciated. 

:) Sarah

• Like 2

I received my ADD diagnosis in 90's before they called it ADHD. I was prescribed Ritalin  in my first year of University. I was on and off Ritalin for most of my college days.  After 7 years off all stimulants I went back on after some career pressure. I started using Concerta which I used as prescribed for many years.  Until I changed up my meds to Adderall, which kinda made me crazy.

ADHD is a real thing.  I've developed a number of coping skills over the years most of which I forgot while I was on Adderall and I kind of feel like I am relearning them.  I have a lot of trouble focusing when I need to and my environment my office is a crazy mess. Somehow I get things done (I run a freelance web development/advertising service). I am sorta successful.  

I don't take anything other than a multivitamin. But I think if I was back in a corporate environment I  might try Straterra.  Hard to say my adderall experience was a pretty dramatic one and I'm just giving the 100% Organic Mind Grapes thing a go for the time being. I stopped anti-ds 3 months ago. 

Honestly I think ADHD isnt a disorder it is a difference in cognitive ability. Just figure out what you are really good at and focus on that delegate the rest. Just my two cents and I should follow my own advice sometime. 

• Like 3

A quote on a Chipotle bag of all things made me think of my ADHD diagnosis today. "Often in life, the most important question we can ask ourselves is: do we really have the problem we think we have?" -Sheri Fink

I was diagnosed in college and did not fake my symptoms, but I also knew which symptoms to emphasize to get the right prescription. I was struggling and desperately wanted something to help me ... something like a "magic" pill. I always struggled and knew that something was "off" when it came to focusing on academics. However, now that I've been through the wringer with Adderall, I question how much of a "problem" it really is/was for me.

My friends and coworkers laugh at how obsessively organized I am. The thing is, I am this way because if I didn't have my "systems," I'd be a total wreck. I think I developed these systems as coping mechanisms growing up when everything was so overwhelming. Learning to compensate and cope has been valuable in its own way. I won't lie, Adderall helped me, but it took more from my life than it gave. (Note: I haven't tried any other medication besides other stimulants.)

• Like 2

I'm diagnosed as ADD with no faked symptoms. But I think the diagnosis (as a general matter of principle) is broken.

I wrote a 10-page or so essay about a year ago on my opinion of diagnoses of ADD, depression, and other common mental disorders. Basically, I believe that there's nothing about ADD that essentially exists, but that these things can be useful for practical purposes (like having experimental data on people with similar patterns of behavior and response). But the way we divide behaviors out is often arbitrary, and we assume that even the most common disorders are problems with the people rather than problems with the culture or the expectations of that culture.

I think it's pretty messed up: our culture, our cultural expectations, and the way we tell people they have a problem when they can't meet the broken cultural standards. And the way we get them addicted to expensive drugs as a response is also pretty messed up. I believe there are better response patterns, but most of them require practice (like regular exercise, proper diet, meditation, etc., all of which have been demonstrated as being effective in treating ADD symptoms) and most are free (which is a big problem, because it means no one has an incentive to sell it to people).

So while I don't think ADD is "fake" (I think all labels are similarly "fake," so "fake" stops meaning anything), I do think ADD is a problem with our culture, our general approach to ADD is dysfunctional, and ADD signifies a broader "issue of the mind" that can be resolved holistically. (The things that help treat ADD without medication also help treat anxiety and depression, and most people diagnosed with ADD are co-morbid with at least one other disorder, which makes me feel that the root issues of these different diagnoses is a singular type of duress that manifests itself in various different ways.)

Okay ... way too much rambly ... sorry. I'll shut up now. ^_^

• Like 3

I do!

Sarah - thanks for sharing - I'm at a similar point and dealing with similar issues.

Trying to cut myself some slack this second year while I work on coping mechanisms. If, by the end of it, I'm still struggling/not enjoying myself...I'm honestly open to finding a new career. If I'm doing something that makes me miserable without Adderall, then it's probably not a great career/life choice for me!

If you haven't read this yet, check it out. Their first book is awesome too. http://www.amazon.com/Delivered-Distraction-Getting-Attention-Disorder/dp/0345442318

Best,

H-C

When I get stressed out from work, my mind automatically defaults to - "This wouldn't be happening if I could treat my ADHD like everyone else."

But managing symptoms of ADHD, especially difficulty with impulse control and low frustration tolerance, makes staying off any drug even harder. Any support, or personal experience is welcome and appreciated. 

:) Sarah

I have a diagnosis of ADD and did not fake symptoms.  I also never took more than my prescribed dose of adderall.   I miss being able to function, but i am glad to be me again.  I can't wait to get back to the way I was before I started taking adderall 7 years or so ago. 

I took my daughter off of concerta when I quit adderall.  She is on Strattera now and it seems to be working really well for her.  Her moods have evened out and there is no let down every night.  I am tempted to talk with my doctor about trying it,  but I am not willing to take anything right now.  I have to get a handle on my life without meds, for my own sanity.