QuittingAdderall.com Forums

WIll I Ever STOP Thinking About Adderall??????

formydaughter

I have been adderall free for 4 months and I still think about the shit all day and night long!!! I notified my psychiatrist who was prescribing it to me and cut off all connections with my suppliers so I don't think I'm in danger. I just want the ducking cravings for it to go away!!! Does anyone else have this problem????

• Like 2

I wish I could say I stopped thinking about it. Four months is not a very long time to be off a potent drug like adderall. I thought about it constantly for quite awhile after quitting. I just had to accept that I was going to think about it, so I've had to continuously work on not romanticizing it. I don't know your story, but I assume something led you to realize adderall wasn't good for you. One important thing to remind yourself of is that going back to the source of the problem (adderall) will not solve the issue. It's so cliche, but I've really learned throughout recovery that you have to go through the "pain" to earn the gain. It doesn't come without patience. Everyone is different, and I've heard people that have been quit for awhile say they don't think of adderall much. Everyone's recovery is different, but you've done a great thing by telling your doctor. I think we've noticed on the site this has been very important step for a lot of us....hang in there. You will think of adderall less, but patience is key :)

• Like 3

Definitely think about it everyday (only 38 days clean, so to be expected). I think we have to build up confidence doing things without it to feel like we have a solid footing and foundation where eventually it's easier to suppress the temptation and see adderall as unappetizing. Not a short or easy process, but I have faith that it's worthwhile.

• Like 1

I was obsessed at 4 months.  Now I pretty much don't think about it at all, unless I'm talking about how badly someone I know is getting messed up from taking it too much.  And even when I do think about it, I focus on how far I've come and all the different strategies I have now that I didn't have then :)  The idea of taking it sickens me so much, I can't even be around people who are on it, let alone think about it.   

So be patient, the thoughts will be less and less!  At 4 months I also found it helpful to force myself to stay busy so I couldn't obsess too much over it.

Yes.

I was obsessed at 4 months.  Now I pretty much don't think about it at all, unless I'm talking about how badly someone I know is getting messed up from taking it too much.  And even when I do think about it, I focus on how far I've come and all the different strategies I have now that I didn't have then :)  The idea of taking it sickens me so much, I can't even be around people who are on it, let alone think about it.   

So be patient, the thoughts will be less and less!  At 4 months I also found it helpful to force myself to stay busy so I couldn't obsess too much over it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Always shocks me just how quickly I can snap back into fantasizing about it. I mull it over for a while then force myself to come to this site and retread all the horrible ways it affected my life.

Today's trigger was my friend posting a bunch of photos from when I was at my peak of using. I was skinny mini, so of course freaked out wanting to look like that again. Within an hour of looking at these photos I felt a desperate need to get a psych. appointment. Not going to throw away my progress. Not worth it. (Repeating to myself...)

• 3 months later...

I thought about it every second of every day the first year. Now in year two, I think about it about 2-3 times a day, mainly when I'm obsessing about some big thing I need to do and how much I imagine addys would help. So it's still not great but better than a few month in was for sure.

mainly when I'm obsessing about some big thing I need to do and how much I imagine addys would help.

And then I say to myself:  "oh yea, and it quit working for THAT too...."

Adderall quit working for EVERYTHING that I originally took it for, and actually worked against me in most cases.  Makes it pretty easy to stay quit.

• Like 1

I just noticed, this morning, that I am not fantasizing about Adderall anymore.  I don't really know when it happened...recently, I am sure.  Like within the last week or so.  Huh.  Am I now going to begin thinking about it more because I realized I wasn't thinking about it?  LOL!  It is really nice. I think I may have turned a corner here folks!