QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How did you quit? What kind of treatment?

psychgirl617

Hi everyone, 

I recently went into treatment for my Adderall/Vyvanse addiction and it was surprisingly not a detox. As it turns out, I was told that "there is not a detoxification protocol for amphetamines/Adderall" like there is for opiates or benzos-- all the admissions people I spoke with weren't willing to taper the dose down. The reason I requested this is because my Adderall addiction is tied to weight control/eating disorder, so I can't just stop the Adderall....otherwise, I experience feeling hungry again and I can't handle it. I also have felt suicidal in the past when I've run out of Adderall. My addiction is severe....we're talking 200+mg Adderall IR/day or 120-280 mg Vyvanse.

Anyway, I guess I have a true dual diagnosis in that sense. I was admitted to an inpatient psychiatric crisis stabilization unit for 12 days-- they tapered my Adderall and helped me feel safe. I was then transferred to a residential substance abuse treatment center that was not equipped to treat eating disorders-- I left after 3 three days. 

I was wondering for people who have attempted quitting adderall and those who have successfully quit adderall:

1. What form of treatment did you use to help you quit, if any? (Detox, self help meetings like AA/NA, 1:1 therapy, residential treatment, inpatient hospitalization, etc) 

2. If you didn't use professional/substance abuse treatment to help you quit Adderall, what helped you quit and stay quit? 

3. Were you addicted to Adderall or just dependent on the same daily dose? 

Hi--i haven't been sober for very long.  I work with a lot of addicts as part of my employment and i think there may not be detox/rehab centers for adderall because there are not the same dangers associated with quitting adderall as their are for quitting other drugs.  For example, quitting benzos or alcohol cold turkey can cause serious problems, including psychosis, seizures and death.  There's a very real possibility withdrawal from those drugs can literally kill you.

anyway, as far as your questions go--

1. i have been seeing a counselor for three years now.  when i realized adderall was fucking me up, i told her i wanted to quit.  i explained why and we talked it out.  only spent like three sessions on that, but she doesn't even really know i quit.  Beyond that, i have educated myself about how adderall works, what withdrawal is like and why, reading articles on sites like this.  i have also made lists about why i want to quit and stay sober.  I come to these forums, read and post frequently.  i talk to understanding friends.  I exercise and focus on putting healthy foods in my body (as well as lots of comfort foods).  i give myself TONS of time to sleep.  I also listen to anti-anxiety/depression/procrastination sleep hypnosis at night (on youtube a woman named jody whitely--strongly suggest this to everyone!)....

okay, and finally--something that people may seriously disagree with, and also something i realize not everyone has access to:  I took opiates at nighttime for the first 10 days without adderall.  That saved me from cold sweats, vivid dreams/nightmares, and general body aches and pains associated with cold turkey withdrawal. they also just helped me relax and be comfortable and get more rest on those days of lethargy and misery. I know opiate addiction is not something I have to worry about--they just softened the blow for me during those first shitty days.  that may not be everyone's case.

2. see my answer above

3. i was (and am) addicted to adderall. when i would get a new prescription, it was like christmas.   I would sing a little song about dopamine i made up in my car.  I'd put off work projects until it was new prescription day.  i'd take copious amounts of adderall until I burned through my scripts early.

when i spoke with my doctor who prescribed adderall to me about wantign to quit, hoping to get some help wtih tailoring my doses and wean off of it, he told me he thought i was tryign to self-sabotage and essentially laughed at me.  Perhaps you should have an honest conversation with your doctor and explain that you do not want to take the adderall and you feel like it functions more as an anti-depressant for you than anything else.  Perhaps he could prescribe something else for your depression/eating disorder?  It sounds like your'e using adderall to enable an eating disorder/treat depression.  this is really a terrible idea because the adderall will eventually stop working and leave you worse off than where you were before it.

i suspect you need to address your eating disorder/depression first.  you will feel hungry after qu9tting adderall.  you need to learn to see hunger as a healthy thing.

as a final note--200mg of adderall is a hgue dose.  i'd find a new doctor who recognizes that dose is about 4x the  maximum amount most doctor's would prescribe for anyone.  the permanent changes to brain chemistry take place at doses that high.  anyway, i'm not tryign to scare you, but i'm really worried about you and i'm afraid your doctor is not.  i think you could start this process by at least finding a doctor who recognizes that your daily dose is much higher than any snae doctor would ever prescribe and help you get back to a dose that is at least a healthy one....whether that maeans lowering your dose and prescribing you an anti-depressant or some other kind of appetite suppressant (there's at least one weight loss drug that was prescription but is over the counter now.  the way it works, i think is kind of disgusting. if you eat fats, it gives you the shitrs or something....i don't know, but there are some appetite suppressants/treatments which are not stimulant you could ask to be prescribed WHILE YOU SOBER UP.  but any doctor that prescribes youa dose that high, does not have your well-being in mind. please be good to yourself.

much love. 

• Like 1

I flushed my dosage down the toilet and went through the toughest few months of my life. But here i am, 2 years later and better than before. BUT i was not taking anywhere near 200mg, i was taking 90 at most so it's different. I know people criticize it but quitting cold turkey is the best in my opinion. Reducing your dosage does not work and you will find yourself increasing it when you don't feel the effects of the high dosage. but hey I'm not a doctor.

you can do it, trust me

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you should have an honest conversation with your doctor and explain that you do not want to take the adderall and you feel like it functions more as an anti-depressant for you than anything else.  Perhaps he could prescribe something else for your depression/eating disorder?  It sounds like your'e using adderall to enable an eating disorder/treat depression.  this is really a terrible idea because the adderall will eventually stop working and leave you worse off than where you were before it.

i suspect you need to address your eating disorder/depression first.  you will feel hungry after qu9tting adderall.  you need to learn to see hunger as a healthy thing.

as a final note--200mg of adderall is a hgue dose.  i'd find a new doctor who recognizes that dose is about 4x the  maximum amount most doctor's would prescribe for anyone.  the permanent changes to brain chemistry take place at doses that high.  anyway, i'm not tryign to scare you, but i'm really worried about you and i'm afraid your doctor is not.  i think you could start this process by at least finding a doctor who recognizes that your daily dose is much higher than any snae doctor would ever prescribe and help you get back to a dose that is at least a healthy one....whether that maeans lowering your dose and prescribing you an anti-depressant or some other kind of appetite suppressant (there's at least one weight loss drug that was prescription but is over the counter now.  the way it works, i think is kind of disgusting. if you eat fats, it gives you the shitrs or something....i don't know, but there are some appetite suppressants/treatments which are not stimulant you could ask to be prescribed WHILE YOU SOBER UP.  but any doctor that prescribes youa dose that high, does not have your well-being in mind. please be good to yourself.

much love. 

@dangerbean & unod1a: Thank you guys so much for the feedback and advice. I am currently in the hospital detoxing and am proud to say that I basically did everything you both suggested. I was honest with my doctor who was prescribing the Adderall/Vyvanse and I got rid of my supply prior to going into the hospital for detox/mental stabilization.....I am now down to 5mg at 9am and 5mg at 1pm. Tomorrow will be my first day Adderall free in almost 6 years. I feel extremely depressed in the sense that I don't feel I have a lot to live for, but I am safe now and my physical health is starting to improve. I also don't feel paranoid and I am not actively psychotic and I am so grateful to have found good treatment. After I stabilize mentally, physically and detox, my plan (if everything goes okay) is to go to a residential eating disorder treatment center that also specializes in Addiction for about 30 days -- or however long my insurance will cover my stay at the residential level. From there, I will step down to the day treatment level and begin the hard work of outpatient work including AA/NA meetings, outpatient therapy, exercise, nutrition, possibly moving to a different part of the city that is less congested and working on daily meditation/spirituality and some form of work for income/structure.

I have hope for a different life for myself and am slowly working towards that life one day at a time.

• Like 1