QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Hey guys 👋ðŸ¼

So here's the sitch I'm in and could use some help with. I have just significantly change my environment and moved to a different city I know that I've been making progress in my reduction and reducing my impulses when I have triggers but this new environment I've moved into is overwhelming me with how much I have to adjust to.

I am from a smaller town with very little activity and I developed ways of coping without utilizing the medicine in my old environment now that I've moved I fear that I'm not sure how to develop new coping mechanisms that are not substance based.

I've read all the posts on the difference between quitting cold turkey and weaning yourself off and from everything I've read and my own usage I know that it's best to wean i've read all the posts on the difference between quitting cold turkey and weaning yourself off and from everything I've read and my own usage I know that it's best to wean myself off.

I've been studying my habits tracking my impulses setting timers making sure that I am accountable with a person in my life that is capable of doing that for me which I'm grateful for and I've held myself to those goals when I was living at home now I've thrown myself into a situation where my environment is completely different I am in a

At home now I've thrown myself into a situation where my environment is completely different I am in a place that's much more active than what I've been used to.

I'm posting this wondering if there's any members that have had experience with what I'm doing having the goal of weaning off knowing their intake is very high and having to develop new coping mechanisms in a place where they don't have anyone to support them.

• Like 4

Hey, I also went cold turkey and I really recommend cold turkey for quitting adderall. I can't give you advice for weaning off. I was never able to do it.

When you move to a different environment without adderall it is really scary but also its very rewarding in the long run. It's like pushing someone into the water and forcing them to swim to stay afloat...and eventually you can swim. It's terrifying at first, but I promise in the long run it will pay off. Stay strong. You are building new cognitive muscle to help you cope with new challenges in a new environment. And you have to start somewhere.

• Like 3

Thank you guys for the support it actually helps sharing with u guys and I'm grateful for everyone on here that's strong enough to even make an account on here as for me it is such a sensitive topic I never thought I'd find a place where I can talk about this on the Internet and have a group of people that can relate to everything this site is very unique and has become another way I deal with coping with my stress.

Before I found this site Inever thought I would find a place where I can talk about this on the Internet and be among a group of strong individuals brave enough to share their stories with this. this site is very unique and has been my best resource and best use of my time when looking for answers on the web and has been my best resource and best use of my time when looking for answers on the web and finding things that make me feel not alone on what I've been experiencing!

• Like 4

I actually quit smoking when I changed jobs (years ago).  I found it was easier to quit because the situations changed and were not associated with a smoke break yet. Maybe this change is just what you need to quit!  Pretend you moved away from the Adderall, too. 

I really recommend quitting cold turkey because it is the only way I am able to quit anything.  Of course, it is up to the individual.  I just think it is too difficult to stay on track when it is available all the time.   

Good luck!  I know you can do it!

• Like 1

I really agree with Always Awsome's post above.  (for some reason the quote button didn't seem to work today).  I believe that changing habits and kicking addictions is more successful when you couple them with major life changes.  Death, divorce, new jobs and moving all cause disruptions in our lives and they provide a fresh start to develop new behaviors.   Why take the baggage of your Adderall addiction with you when you can leave it behind?  Especially the source(s) of your pills.

You seem determined that tapering is the best way for you to quit.  Why is that?  And how is the tapering thing going - are you able to strictly control your usage?  What if you fail to stick to your taper plan?  Is there any kind of pre-determined penalty for not enforcing the strict self-discipline required to taper?

• Like 2

How did you guys do the cold turkey thing? Did you set a day? Did you have the right type of support for when you are crashing? Thanks for all the responses, I'm trying to find the right time to do this as I feel I can't function at all without it. Still in the middle of moving locations as the first place I moved into didn't pan out the way I expected, so I'm having to move again.

• Like 1

I made the choice not to refill my prescription.  Then I tore the house apart for three days looking for an old prescription.  LOL, I finally found it, but my husband wouldn't drop it off at the pharmacy for me.  I had to go to work, so I was going to have to drop it off that afternoon and who knows how long it would take for them to get it filled!!!!  AAARRRRGGGHHHH...I was super pissed off.

I thought about it all day at work...I told my coworkers...I stressed...I debated...I decided.  The cooling off period made me realize I did want to quit after all.  Supportive people around you will help.  When I told my husband that I wanted to quit he didn't believe me, but he was onboard.  I think I would still be taking it if he had taken that script in... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a process. I feel like giving myself time is important reducing and then quitting is what's best for me as I know I've been pushing myself everyday in the right direction. I've been on this site since March and feel like I'm doing my best in the community given my circumstances, thank you guys for all the posts.☺ï¸

• Like 3