QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Vyvanse approved to treat Binge Eating Disorder

Katers

In the beginning of this year, the FDA approved Vyvanse for use in treating Binge Eating Disorders (BED).

They say that the reason Vyvanse is effective for treating Binge Eating Disorders (BED) is because:

a. It suppresses a user's appetite, making it easier to eat normally (or eat less food than normal)

b. It helps control a user's impulsivity, which can often lead to binge eating.

As someone with a mild case of Binge Eating Disorder (I binge-eat on 'cheat foods' about once a month pretty heavily for 1-3 days) as well as someone with an Adderall addiction (I am 6-months sober!), this article left me wondering if just maybe, I could give Vyvanse a try and I'll be fine taking it.  Just maybe I won't get addicted, and I'll be able to overcome this eating problem at the same time.  These are my thoughts:

• Maybe Vyvanse isn't as addictive as Adderall, and I won't abuse it.
  • The suffering I feel from binge-eating is unbearable sometimes, and I don't know how else to overcome this food addiction.  So maybe my only option is Vyvanse, to relieve me from this disorder?
  • Even if Vyvanse is as addictive as Adderall, and I get addicted, at least it will help me stop binge-eating. I wonder if addiction to Vyvanse/amphetamines wouldn't be as painful/difficult as my addiction to food.  In both addictions (drug and food), I withdraw from society, I isolate, I become anti-social and lonely, edgy and irritated with people, and my life generally becomes unmanageable.  At least with Adderall, I still have the energy/motivation to get things done?  After I binge, I stay in bed all day and usually fast or restrict calories until I feel recovered enough (from the binge) to get up and do what I need to do.  Usually right after binges, I am too embarrassed to see people, because I think they can notice the weight I've gained from the binge

Also, after I binge, the depression is unbearable.  Sometimes I even feel suicidal.  I can't stand to look at my body, and I don't like the feel of my body after a binge--i wish I could crawl out of my skin or sink into the floor boards until my body detoxes.  After I recover from a binge, I feel OK, but it's those 3-5 days right after a binge that make me really question whether or not I should suffer through this anymore.

After a binge, I always question whether going off Adderall was the right decision.  If it could help me not think about food, and help me think about my body image in a more positive light, then maybe it's worth the addiction?

Intellectually, deep-down inside, I have a feeling that I would abuse Vyvanse just as much as I would abuse Adderall, and I would end up in the same situation as I am now..

Does anyone else wonder whether they'd rather suffer from their issues around food, or suffer from an addiction to adderall?  Does anyone have any experience getting sober from Adderall, then trying Vyvanse?  Is Vyvanse just as addictive?

Does anyone else suffer from bingeing, and then feeling incredibly depressed for several days after that?  I can't seem to end this cycle, no matter how many times I tell myself that I will 'never binge-eat again,' I do it anyway.  Usually within 3-4 weeks.  It's as if I have no control.  

I am currently taking Wellbutrin for depression, which seems to help with my mood/energy level a bit, and I was prescribed Modafinil to help with motivation/energy/focus.  I currently go to AA meetings (even though my problem is with Adderall and Benzos), and I have a sponsor.  I would recommend the program to anyone :)  I'm not religious, and I was very skeptical at first, but it has helped keep me sober.

Thanks for listening 

-Stillbreathing

• Like 1

I am in shock...I can't believe they just approved vyvanese for binge eating disorder! Especially with all the negative publicity surrounding stimulants..

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/concerns-about-adhd-practices-and-amphetamine-addiction.html?_r=0

They need to find less uses for it not more! I see vyvanese is all over marketing the drug for its new use all over its website of course

• Like 1

Still breathing...first thing. Go to this link and make a ticker for your 6 months clean

http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php?type=4

Look at it and be proud of your clean time ...don't go back to that place where you were taking adderall. Remember those days of staying up for days and days and feeling so horrible. And knowing you were in a mess. Keep looking forward, keep heading in that direction. FYI I use to go through a month supply of vyvanese in less than a week and I couldn't stop myself. It absolutely destroyed my life, my vyvanese induced psychosis was so bad I got fired, I was hospitalized, I got into major credit problems and debt...I am now completely back on my feet but I had to give that horrible drug or class of drugs up in order to get here.

Yes, vyvanese is just as addictive as adderall. DO NOT DO IT.

• Like 1

Ditto to what Greg said. If you were addicted to one, you'll be addicted to the other. They are both schedule II amphetamines. Don't fool yourself.

Ps. This is a repeat of the 50s and 60s, when amphetamines and methamphetamines were prescribed for weight loss. They were banned of course, and now Shire is sneaking them back in..

Ditto to what Greg said. If you were addicted to one, you'll be addicted to the other. They are both schedule II amphetamines. Don't fool yourself.

Ps. This is a repeat of the 50s and 60s, when amphetamines and methamphetamines were prescribed for weight loss. They were banned of course, and now Shire is sneaking them back in..

Cassie that is exactly what I was thinking. This is bullshit.

Still breathing...first thing. Go to this link and make a ticker for your 6 months clean

http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php?type=4

Look at it and be proud of your clean time ...don't go back to that place where you were taking adderall. Remember those days of staying up for days and days and feeling so horrible. And knowing you were in a mess. Keep looking forward, keep heading in that direction. FYI I use to go through a month supply of vyvanese in less than a week and I couldn't stop myself. It absolutely destroyed my life, my vyvanese induced psychosis was so bad I got fired, I was hospitalized, I got into major credit problems and debt...I am now completely back on my feet but I had to give that horrible drug or class of drugs up in order to get here.

Yes, vyvanese is just as addictive as adderall. DO NOT DO IT.

Thanks @greg- I needed that reality check. And that extra boost to keep going. I'm disgusted by Vyvanse's marketing. They're basically seeding all of this awareness behind BED so patients can identify and ask their doc about the drug..and we all know how that story ends!

On a side note- I love this forum, these peeps and the support. I'll 'keep coming back" :-)

I am in shock...I can't believe they just approved vyvanese for binge eating disorder! Especially with all the negative publicity surrounding stimulants..

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/us/concerns-about-adhd-practices-and-amphetamine-addiction.html?_r=0

They need to find less uses for it not more! I see vyvanese is all over marketing the drug for its new use all over its website of course

" Drug addicts don’t look like they used to.†(The NY Times article). Aint that the truth!

Hi Katers --

I'm a long-time member here and have been mostly reading from time to time for a while, but your message spurred me to respond here. 

You (and others) are right when you say this BED-awareness campaign on Shire's part is dangerous b.s. Even if you did try Vyvanse and it worked for a while re: food, you'd be right back where you started whenever you stopped taking it. 

Since you're already in a 12-step program, you might look into OA. People there run the gamut of food-related behaviors. It is absolutely possible to recover from periodic bingeing as you've described -- I know because I've done it. It is difficult in its own specific ways, as clearly you can't avoid food altogether, and I found that it really helps to be able to talk to others who know exactly what it's like to deal with those particular struggles. 

I had an absolutely vicious eating disorder for years, and I now eat like a normal person and don't even really think about it, which I never thought would happen, let alone as quickly (relatively speaking) as it has abated since I started recovery in earnest. I remember all too clearly what it's like to go through what you're describing after binges, and the good news is that you don't have to stay there for life or medicate to avoid going there. It takes some persistence and a lot of patience, but with a genuine impulse to take it on, it is doable.

All the best -- you can get through it without giving your money and health to Shire's cynical bid to capitalize upon binge eaters' suffering. 

M

Just wanted to add: if you read my original post on this site from 4 years ago (search for the two month itch) you'll notice that I use the words Adderall and Vyvanse interchangeably throughout the story. What does that tell you?

• Like 1

I agree with what all you are saying and I think passing that for a binge eating cure is absurd also.  My reason is because it is just another excuse for pharmaceutical company's get more money blah blah blah.  While Katers you stated about thinking about going on Vyvanse for the Binge reason I am up in the air on that.  I am an ex addict of Adderall and have been clean from it for probably two years now.  It was hell like everyone knows but after about a year off Adderall I got on Vyvanse.  I changed my lifestyle completely also when I got on Vyvanse.  I actually am still taking it currently for the time being due to other reasons for me to focus.  I found that Vyvanse is not near as bad as Adderall when it comes to being addictive and for abusing.  Not saying that it isn't addicting but you really cant take to much to get higher.  I am not FOR any stimulant drugs whatsoever because we all want to feel like ourselves but while I AM ON vyvanse I eat all the time.  I hydrate myself and I do eat much healthier.  While I am off it (I do go weeks without it at times) because believe it or not there are times where I will throw the pills away just so I can take a break from them and when I don't have my vyvanse I do eat more and maybe binge more but it only lasts for about two days.  I exercise daily in my life now and don't drink barely any alcohol anymore and I think that's why vyvanse is working for me because I am knowledgeable or what my past with Adderall as done to me.  Its very very tough to be on anything that is a schedule two drug due to our past addictions.  I know someday I will be off of everything when I am ready and wont be as lonely due to some troubles I got in the past year but for now vyvanse does help me get by even though I don't want any substance to help me ya know.  Its hard to explain.  frustrating but hopefully I got some imput to ya!