QuittingAdderall.com Forums

How to Handle a Relapse?

BeHereNow

Since relapse is so common in recovery, I think it might help for us to start discussing how to handle a relapse.  The aftermath of a relapse is crucial to whether a person gets back on track or falls off the wagon. 

For people who have relapsed, on adderall or something else, what did you do the next day (and week, and month, etc.) to get and stay back on track?

Here's a list of tips I found:

http://www.sobernation.com/what-to-do-after-a-relapse/

Other ideas?

Not sure if this is what you were hoping for in responses, but I relapsed so many times I can't count.  And due to my binge use fashion "relapsing" was synonymous with "scoring" for me since I quit once or twice per month.

I think the crucial factor is stated in the article

To avoid slipping again, you’ll have to closely examine why you slipped, what lead up to it, and what you must change so that you can stand on solid ground in recovery again.

For me, deciding that, "I slipped because I cannot control my cravings and continuously talk myself out of quitting, despite the fact that I always decide to quit right after a binge/crash, when I realize I am not in control."

So for me the change was that I needed to no longer stay silent about it, despite the fact that I wanted so bad to keep this private and not have to admit it to anyone.  Recognizing that it was not within my power to quit on my own so I needed to ask for help from someone else in the form of having my supply cut off.

EDIT:  Of course I only did this after my very last relapse.  All other relapses were just business as usual (involved a lot of laying around feeling sad and guilty) until I finally swallowed my pride.

Thanks for checking in Greg!  I didn't relapse! 

......Though I know I am always only one pill away from it.   That's the big-picture lesson I learned from all my relapses.... never, ever, EVER believe that voice telling you that you can have just one.  Every time, that's the voice that got me into trouble.

So I saw that article and it got me thinking about how many people come to the boards here all motivated and ready to quit, then disappear..... I think maybe people need more resources on relapse and how addiction works?   That's what helps me get through. 

• Like 2

When I ever relapsed, the following day I'd just work out or go for a long walk, take a shower, prepare some food and think about everything it is that led me to my relapse. After thinking it through, I'd write it down and store it in a box with the label "REASONS WHY NOT TO RELAPSE."

Certain things being the evident of course, but others because of personal issues.

• Like 1