QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Spitual Faith

carock84

This is some powerful stuff I cam across and not everyone here is religious and may believe in different beliefs but I found this excerpt and research to very therapeutic to myself and I just wanted to share this with you guys

So I have been doing a lot of research and trying to get my spiritual faith stronger and clearer in my EVERYDAY LIFE.  As everyone here wants help with addiction and to be stronger and our own self again I think all of us have made tremendous progress already and that is we realize we are doing something wrong.  Take a look at this excerpt from Romans.

Romans 19 states: "For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--This I keep doing".  This is powerful in a simple quote.  This is me in a nutshell. A train wreck, a sinner, a wretch but the good news is that we realize that the GOOD we want to do, we are NOT doing.  We all understand that what we are doing with our addictions (any addictions for that being said) We understand that it is wrong.  That's the famous first step ADMITTING we have a problem right.  This is strong evidence that the HOLY SPIRIT in my eyes or the love we have in each one of us is coming out.  A person without the Holy Spirit will not know this and will not recognize the evil things they are doing.  So basically we are all awesome and everyone is here is making progress already.  I am a Christian and have accepted Jesus into my heart and I know he has gotten me through soo many things but there will always be that word SIN in us.

Verse 20 states: "Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is SIN living within me."  Basically this means that it is SIN that is interfering with my bad choices and we need to cut our selves some slack.  There is a lot more to this reading but It would take forever to type it all out because my Back is hurting and I need to get up and move around HAHA but If you ever get a chance and want some guidance the book of Romans 7: 15-24 is a really good read. 

Much LOVE

• Like 2

I truly believe that the Bible can be read for encouragement even by those who do not have any interest in religion. Penn Gillette did an interview once on being an atheist, the thing is that he reads the Bible daily.

The book of Nehemiah was huge for me during my recovery because it showed perseverance in the face of trials. A huge encouragement for those trying to rebuild their lives.

• Like 2

JustinW, I am going to look into reading some scriptures of Nehemiah.  Good luck a long your journey and thanks for responding.  I try to check into this site often to keep me reminded of the terrible stuff that we all went through so that its always fresh in my mind.

MUCH LOVE

Hey Carock, thank you for sharing.  I'm not a religious person but lately in my addiction journey I have been thinking more about spirituality.   I think that for many people, though not everyone, spirituality can be very important to recovery.  

I learned recently that Carl Jung, the famous psychologist, was actually involved in work on addiction and recovery through his correspondence with the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.)  (A.A. has a 12-step program that emphasizes overcoming addiction through, in part, recognizing our own individual powerless over a particular substance, and instead connecting with a "higher power.") 

(For full disclosure, I am not in A.A. and I am not trying to push their model or any other.  But I do think that as an organization that works on addiction, they have some insights, and spirituality is one that I had always written off until I started looking more into the reasoning behind it.  And although this is about alcoholism, in many ways, all addictions share a similar structure, and what is true about one  substance addiction is true of others as well. Personally I think this is equally true of adderall--if not even more true.)

The basic idea is that addictions function as a replacement for spiritual or religious connection of some sort.  It doesn't have to follow a specific religious model.  Addictions and the highs they produce stand in for spiritual experiences, the diverse spiritual "highs" and "ecstasies" that people of all kinds of backgrounds around the world experience.  

There's a famous letter between Jung and the founder of A.A. where Jung writes about addiction as fulfilling a kind of need for spiritual connection.   After working with a serious alcoholic, Jung had concluded that without a spiritual connection of some sort, this person would be unable to overcome his addiction:

"His craving for alcohol was the equivalent on a low level of the spiritual thirst of our being for wholeness.....  You see, the Latin word for alcohol is "spiritus" and you use the same word for highest religious experience as well as for the most depraving poison.  The helpful formula therefore is: Spiritus contra spiritum."

http://www.barefootsworld.net/jungletter.html

• Like 3