QuittingAdderall.com Forums

The power of the doctor writing the script

Greg

On adderall, i hated most that i had rely so much on the doctor to write the script. the doctor had so much power over me. No matter what i made time to see the doctor to get my script. 

I dont go through a bottle of xanax quicklylike adderall...but I know deep down i need to get off xanax. ive been taking it increasingly for work but im already starting to wonder when im going to be able to take off work to see my doctor to get new script for refills blah blah blah..its the same kind of thing just not nearly as extreme as adderall.

Also i lost my xanax i thought today and i was feeling panicky and just telling myself i could push through it. I dont like seeing that from me. little too close to home. feeling handcuffed a little to the xanax. 

• Like 3

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean.   My adderall source was my codependent ex but it was the same power dynamic..... I'm sure you can imagine the power abuse that that door opened up......

I hate seeing doctors and when I'm sick I usually just deal with it, but I always go to my psych dr. appts for my klonopin.   And it's starting to sound like he might want to stop prescribing it.  I don't abuse it, I just have such horrible anxiety it's the only thing that helps.  This gives him a crazy amount of power over me.

Just remember, we pay their salaries.....

• Like 1

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean.   My adderall source was my codependent ex but it was the same power dynamic..... I'm sure you can imagine the power abuse that that door opened up......

I hate seeing doctors and when I'm sick I usually just deal with it, but I always go to my psych dr. appts for my klonopin.   And it's starting to sound like he might want to stop prescribing it.  I don't abuse it, I just have such horrible anxiety it's the only thing that helps.  This gives him a crazy amount of power over me.

Just remember, we pay their salaries.....

I am definitely feeling you here. My plan was to completely stop xanax before I started work...it didnt happen...I really got to have more strength than this..and start seeing the bigger picture here again and be proactive against any potential problems in the pipeline....

Greg, you really helped me gain some insight into my relationship with alcohol a couple of months ago.  So here is my two cents regarding your relationship with Xanax.

Uppers and downers are incredibly addictive.  Especially the hard drugs like Adderall and Xanax.  If somebody has been 'prescribed" uppers or downers, I believe they must accept, if not embrace the ensuing addiction.  What is the cost of that addiction?  Many, many people can simply take these drugs "as prescribed" for a really long time, and, although their addiction eventually matures, they can usually handle it because the benefit of using the drug far outweighs the inconvenience of the developing addiction.  But, eventually, I think everybody gets tired of the addiction and the dependency on a substance just so they can function "normally" in life. 

So, I have four questions for you:

1) Are you abusing the Xanax?

2) What is (are) the costs of your addiction to Xanax?

3) What are the benefits of using Xanax?

4) Do the benefits of using Xanax outweigh the costs of the benzo addiction?

For me, the costs of my developing alcohol addiction are mental anguish, less inner peace and diminished productivity after I have had a few too many, as a direct result of the alcohol abuse.  Since those are all bad feelings, I try to drink responsibly and irregularly to avoid  or delay the costs of my alcohol addiction from getting so high that I feel like I need to quit.  I don't need it "just to function" every day.  We all know what a developing addiction feels like, with our past experiences with Adderall. 

I really hope you can come to terms with your relationship with Xanax and make the right decision. 

• Like 2