QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Disputing Relapse Thoughts

LILTEX41

Hi all!

So after reading your responses to my survey about relapse, I came up with some idea that might hopefully help you dispute these thoughts.  I learned how to do this from Smart Recovery.  Here is a link regarding this tool below. The process is called DISARM (Destructive Imagery and Self Talk Awareness and Refusal method).  It's about disarming the addictive voice in your head.  

DISARM is a tool which exposes the self-talk and images which tell us to use, as lies, excuses, and rationalizations. - SMART Recovery@.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/library/Tools_and_Homework/Other_Homework/disarm.htm

This process could also be known as comparable with AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique).  http://www.rational.org/index.php?id=59. Recognizing this voice, catching it in time, and defeating it is what I would consider your number one mission in recovery.  You just have to keep your guard up and be ready to squash it whenever it pops up.  Think of it like that groundhog game at the arcade.   ;)

ADDERALLIC VOICE:  You can’t live without me, you will fail.
YOUR VOICE:  Bullshit, you are the one ruining my life.

ADDERALLIC VOICE:You know you want to feel euphoric today.
YOUR VOICE: Um, what about when it wears off?  You know the part where I am exhausted, angry, hostile, severely depressed, dying for another pill, and isolated for days?

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Nothing will be fun anymore without me.
YOUR VOICE:]Bullshit again fuck face!  I can actually laugh and smile again without you.  My dopamine levels are no longer depleted and I get a genuine natural high from normal things like [/size]exercise, being outdoors, and having fun actiBullshit again fuck face!  I can actually laugh and smile again without you.  My dopamine levels are no longer depleted and [/size]I get a genuine natural high from normal things like vities in my life.  The fun I had with you was fake and manufactured. It was NOT real.

ADDERALLIC VOICE:You can control it this time.
YOUR VOICE: How many times have I said that in the past?  List specific examples of when I said I would control it and ended up taking more than prescribed again.  What happened?

ADDERALLIC VOICE: You’re tolerance has gone down, you won’t need as much.
YOUR VOICE: I won’t need as much right NOW, but over time my tolerance will INCREASE again and I will be stuck trying to get my doctor to up my dose, buying off friends, or the street. I will still be stuck in this addictive cycle regardless of my tolerance.

ADDERALLIC VOICE: You’re gaining too much weight. You’ll never be skinny without me.
YOUR VOICE: Remember, if you take adderall for weight loss purposes, you will have to keep increasing your prescription amounts over the years because your tolerance will increase.  Adderall is not a long term fix to weight loss. Also, if you keep taking it for weight loss and you are skinny, you are not healthy.  (see URL link below). Look at picture titled, "Negative Health Effects." (site won't let me post pics anymore for some reason).
url

ADDERALLIC VOICE: I only need it for this one project, test, etc. Then I’ll stop.
YOUR VOICE: When was the last time I only took it for that one time fix and then stopped?  IF I take one, I am going to get caught in the trap all over again and I will be back to square one of craving it, taking it, withdrawing from it, and taking it again.  IF I stay stopped, it will keep getting easier and easier.  The cravings will be less frequent. The voice telling me to take one is just like the venus fly trap below. It’s my addictive adderallic voice and if I want to take it again, it means something has triggered me.  Visualize the pic below - click url-as your adderallic voice calling you.
url
Oh snap, it got me again!
url

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Maybe I really do have ADD and need it to function.
YOUR VOICE: Even if you have ADD, you are still addicted to it and will abuse it. There are alternative ways of coping with ADD. Research coping strategies and implement them.  Recover!

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Your day was terrible, so come take this and feel better!
YOUR VOICE: OR you could do something that will actually make you relax like call a friend, exercise, play with your pet, take a nap, read a good book, go out for a fancy dinner, snuggle with your partner, or rent a good movie on net flix and actually go to bed and wake up refreshed!

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Just take it today, and then use the weekend to detox/quit.
YOUR VOICE: Again, let’s refer to picture below. Once you start, who knows when you will find the willpower to quit again. url

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Got work to do? You know you can't complete it sober!
YOUR VOICE: Do it in small manageable chunks. Just do it half assed. Think of all the people on this site who have quit and are actually doing better in their career/school now that they have been clean for awhile.

ADDERALLIC VOICE: You'll get so much done. You'll do everything that you've been putting off and it'll be great fun.
YOUR VOICE: Refer to picture again and take note the “fun” you will have will followed by “withdrawal” and “intense cravings” to follow all over again. url  OR Stay STOPPED and be free!!!!   url

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Aren't you tired of being bored and sad and tired and fat?
YOUR VOICE: Solve Problems  Boredom:  Find new activities, clubs, and set goals.
Sad:  Being sad is a temporary state and will pass. It’s okay to not feel happy all the time. Seek help from a therapist or support group if you have on-going depression.
Fat:  Exercise and change your diet.  Adderall addiction is a short term fix that will destroy your life. Exercise/diet will be a long term change that will change your life immensely for the better! :)

ADDERALLIC VOICE: You've already fried your brain, you're 40 and by the time whatever is left of your brain starts to function, you'll be close to menopause and bat shit crazy so why bother?
YOUR VOICE: So you want to turn yourself into a vegetable and die young when you could actually heal your brain and live out the rest of your life in good health and happiness?  You could challenge yourself to turn over a new leaf and try something new.  What if by giving up this drug addiction you recovered your self esteem, health, and ended up feeling better than you ever had in your whole life?  url

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Fuck it.
YOUR VOICE: Go back up to the top of this and start at the beginning.  Repeat.
url

• Like 3

ADDERALLIC VOICE: Nothing will be fun anymore without me.

YOUR VOICE:]Bullshit again fuck face!  I can actually laugh and smile again without you.  My dopamine levels are no longer depleted and I get a genuine natural high from normal things like [/size]exercise, being outdoors, and having fun actiBullshit again fuck face!  I can actually laugh and smile again without you.  My dopamine levels are no longer depleted and [/size]I get a genuine natural high from normal things like vities in my life.  The fun I had with you was fake and manufactured. It was NOT real.

LOL fuck face. love this (: thank you for putting this together!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...