QuittingAdderall.com Forums

L-Tyrosine - it can be helpful but USE IT CAREFULLY

Necessary Disclaimer:  Nothing safe and healthy will ever work like adderall did.  So don't expect anything to.  But some supplements can be helpful.  

Plenty of users have mentioned this supplement in the past, and not without good reason.  It does help focus for a bit and it kind of elevates your mood, but it does have side effects.  It can cause headaches, and nausea, which is why after buying some last summer and trying it twice, it sat on my shelf untouched for almost a year.  They can also keep you up all night if you aren't careful when you take one.

I do realize now that I bought the 1000mg capsules, which is a pretty strong dose.  And breaking them in half feels like swallowing razorblades.  As for the headache/nausea problem, a solution I've found for myself is to make sure not to take them before sitting in a sedentary position.  

So if you feel the need for a mental boost to sit and work on your paperwork hunched at a desk, I advice sticking to coffee and a multivitamin.

Taking them before going jogging however has worked well for me, particularly if I'm trying to sweat out the beers that I shouldn't have had the previous night and feel like crap.  

I run on a treadmill currently so the biggest obstacle in my progress is boredom.  They moved our stuff around in the gym so there is not even a TV nearby like there used to be (which was really nice).

Anyways, I do have to say that L-Tyrosine does help you get mentally "in the zone" before exercising.  This is just my personal experience but in all other settings it does nothing but bring me down.

For anyone who thinks it might be helpful for them and is thinking of getting some, be sure to get the smaller dosage capsules.

• Like 2

Are you taking the energy boost C4 pre work out powder or the pills. I read a few reviews on Amazon about the pills some say it works best at night others in the day. I'm getting a little desperate to find something to get me going. I'm exercising eating right sleeping taking St. John's wart nothing is helping. I cannot get focused because either I'm to tired or the anxiety over the hole I'm in is too much. I find myself wanting to get allergy medicine because I know it gives me some boost but really don't want to go down that road. I know people say don't worry it will pass stay off supplements well I got bills to pay and a family to feed so I gotta try something to help me get threw this tough times. If someone wants to donate money and pay my bills sure I'll chill out not look for alternatives be easy to ride this wave if staying clean was my only worry in life right now.

Frank, are you taking enough good quality fish oil?  Take it till you smell like a fish.  It does wonders for my motivation and focus.  Lots of water and green tea too.  Redbull or Monster or caffeine pills...don't overdo the caffeine to avoid anxiety.  Did you try Lions Mane yet?  And how about the L- tyrosine?  The key to most of these supplements is not quantity but dialing them in to the amount and type that works best for  you.

• Like 2

I don't hunt lions so never tried lions mane but I'm sure wearing one would be cool not sure how it would help. I'll try fish oil again but it makes me burp and smell rancid not sure if I'll keep up on that one. I ordered l- tyrosine tonight should get it by Saturday. I did try 5-htp for a few weeks it did nothing. St.johns wort I have questionable doubts the longer I'm on it. For one it gives me heartburn the other issue I wonder if it's counter productive I heard a side effect is feeling tired. I now started to take the full daily dose at night see if that makes a difference.

Figured lions mane was a supplement was being sarcastic . That's one thing I got back off adderal is being a smart ass for better or worse. I looked it up on Amazon and like all supplements huge price range and pills, powders etc. Do you have any advice on which one to try?

Here is my two cents on these supplements:

The only Lions Mane I have used is Host Defense brand and I got it at Whole Foods.  It can make you over think things and obsess on the negative things too.  I got a lot of mental clarity and better focus from taking it.  Don't take it with fish oil because it does make you burp.

L-Tyrosine from GNC.  500 mg pills.  More is not better.  Must be taken on empty stomach at least one hour before eating.

Fish oil from GNC.  Lots of different ratios of the different types of omega 3's out there and they do matter.  It is from fish so fresh high quality supplements are essential.  Stay away from the economy brands.  Some fish oil capsules are coated so they don't make you have fish burps.  I've had good luck with the GNC Triple Strength fish oil line.  take them however they agree with you but take enough so read the dosing instructions.

St Johns Wort - I just use the economy line but only take it when I feel a bout of depression coming on.  I hate the way it tastes.

Vitamin B-12 sublingual tablets.  These are great for an energy buzz and they make your hair tingle  I got some cherry flavored tabs at Rite Aid.  Same active ingredient in 5-hour energy but your stomach does not absorb it very well and the under tongue tabs give an instant buzz.  Some people take vitamin b-12 injections once or twice per month.  B-12 injections are also good for mental clarity and cognition.

Also a good quality b-complex or daily multivitamin will help. 

These are just the supplements that have worked for me during my recovery.  Full disclaimer they may or may not work for you but you won't know if you don't try taking them at different times and dosages.

• Like 1

You know even if it's all placebo but it helps worth a shot. I think knowing what powerful pills can do if it doesn't work I won't trick myself into thinking it does. Must say today was so much better vs the rest of this week. My craving for adderal was higher then it has been for weeks last couple of days . But today I got up at 5am went to the gym then went on my day at work didn't feel overwhelming fatigue. It would be interesting if we all took down data of all of what we go through. Like say a 1-10 on fatigue and 1-10 on craving a pill on a timeline. Then make graphs so people could compare themselves of course having info on how long you took before quitting dosage would all need to be accounted for. Just think if more research was done so people really know what's ahead could make quitting easier. Of course the medical world won't care to do this not something pharmacy's and doctors would make more money with.

Just want to say to anyone quitting you absolutely cannot have access to this drug by any means or you will fail. I know this week if I had a my old script I would have gave in no doubt.

• Like 1

glad to hear you had a better day, you've earned it!  there will be more in the future :)

Just want to say to anyone quitting you absolutely cannot have access to this drug by any means or you will fail. I know this week if I had a my old script I would have gave in no doubt. 

I agree with this 100%

• Like 1

So I received a bottle of L-Tyrosine in the mail brand is BRI nutrition 500 mg . Out of all the supplements energy drinks so far this has been the only thing that really gave me a "boost". I did notice 5 hr energy ususe this supplement but obviously not much because 5hr energy never gave me this boost. So of course my thought now is this must be bad for me and I will grow a tollarence for it. Any thoughts for those who have taken this supplement for awhile?

i never ahve felt compelled to take it more than once in a while so i feel safe taking it once in a while.  

the last time i took it was when i started this thread.  i've had the bottle for almost a year now and have only taken it about 6 times.  honestly it's too intense for me.

Also, heed very carefully the words of Quit-Once:  More is not better

If you take more thinking it will be better, you're going to have a REALLY shitty day.

But yeah I don't think it's a supplement that is intended to be taken every day.  You probably would build a tolerance.  I think it's best to take once in a while.  Like if you've been in a shitty mood for a week straight and just can't take it anymore.

I took L-tyrosine almost every day for about three years.  500 mg first thing in the morning on empty.  And if I felt like I needed more in the afternoon I would take it again.  I never developed a tollerance to it.  I gradually grew out of the desire to take it anymore on a daily basis.  It really helped me cope in the aftermath of my addiction.  If my mood needs a boost, I will certainly use it.  I just love the happy, uplifting feeling it gives me later in the day.  I never had many side effects from taking it as long as I stayed with 500 mg at a time.  Regarding Frank's comment, I do beleive there is a huge difference between brands in the quality of this supplement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...