QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Marijuana use dampens brain's response to reward over time

Hopper15

Thought you all might be interested in this. 

Seems like something very similar to the effects of adderall long term:

"In that moment of anticipating a reward, the cells of the nucleus accumbens usually swing into action, pumping out a 'pleasure chemical' called dopamine. The bigger the response, the more pleasure or thrill a person feels -- and the more likely they'll be to repeat the behavior later.

But the more marijuana use a volunteer reported, the smaller the response in their nucleus accumbens over time, the researchers found."

My question is, if you've been smoking (or taking Adderall long-term) how long does it take before your reward center response returns to pre-marijuana/pre-adderall levels?

I'm sure that individual results vary (as individuals' dosage strength/length of time using also vary), but I was curious if there have there been any individual user experience surveys on this site about recovery time?

Wow, this is a tough question.  I don't think there is probably a one size fits all answer to the question.  I think it's probably very individualized like you said.

For me personally, it took me at least a few years before I stopped craving adderall.  Maybe even up to 3 years.  It's hard now looking back to really say.  I don't crave adderall anymore though.  I also smoked a lot of pot.  For me exercise has helped a ton.  I do marathon and triathlon training.  I think all the cardio has been extraordinary at helping me to overcome these poisons.  That's my best recommendation to cure it.  Quit these things and do a lot of cardio and eat healthy!   

Best of luck!

• Like 3