QuittingAdderall.com Forums

New to Site

Pug

"Long time listener first time caller"

Hello everyone I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself as I join you on the road of recovery. I am 110 days sober and doing everything I can to get better. I struggle with anhedonia and major depression upon stopping the adderall. I was taking it as prescribed for 4-5 years 30-50 mg tablets most recently. In college I used to for depression and loved it. I loved how focused it made me to enjoy what I was reading and participating in. I was so engaged! I have always loved pulling an all nighter and really loving the feeling of functioning the next day with no sleep. Taking my proper dose after every say 4 hours. My doctor says this was abusing the drug but I argue that I was taking the dose in the appropriate time intervals just not sleeping!

What brought me to my knees was adding Prozac and Wellbutrin and pot in the mix and I got manic in April and was walking around NYC for a few days on end. Went to treatment and am home now. I make phone calls for a living to cross sell financial products to individuals and need to have somewhat of an attractive personally to be successful. I have no personality!!!! I've always been a little socially awkward but now is really bad! Will the depression and anxiety lift? I was put on Wellbutrin and strattera about 6 weeks ago and see little effect so far. This is kinda jumbled but I wanted to say hi to everyone and let you know that I read all the new content everyday for support. Peace.

• Like 2

Hi Pug and welcome!

Way to go on 110 days!!  That's awesome!  Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I think the best therapies for combating anxiety/depression is exercise and CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy).  Getting outdoors and doing physical activity will definitely help lift your low mood and keep depression at bay.  I think the major cause of depression has to do with our thinking though.  When you are used to thinking repetitive negative thoughts, it's hard to just snap out of it especially after you've been on adderall for 4-5 years.  It takes a lot of discipline and constant effort to revamp the automatic negative thoughts that come and turn them around into something positive. However, the better you get at catching these thoughts and doing something constructive with them, the better you will feel.  It takes time, but it can be done. Just hang in there and keep looking for anything that can help you.  Therapy is always a great place to start as well.  

Glad you are here! :)

Prozac is some very scary shit hope your off it any SSRI drug totally fucks up people a lot of information is kept from the headlines but do some research online you'll see some horror stories. Wellbutrin is not as bad but it is basically a little brother of adderall it will boost energy some and suppress appetite etc. Congrats on stopping adderall that's awesome! You have no personality because you brain is saying wtf dude where is my pill? Your body is in like a prolong wait cycle just laying low until it gets its chemical boost. What you must do is wait it out and it takes time for your body not to rely on those chemicals it must produce its own. Of course it will never go to levels you were on adderall but should balance out to how things were before starting the drug. Some things we did on adderall at the time we thought we're great but in reality were just was stupid. Just curious if you looked back was your personality for your job outstanding on it  or maybe a few times you were impatient blew a sale because you were racing too far ahead of the person you were dealing with. Hope you stick with it visit here often.