QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My comeback story (in progress)

zckmcd

I find it absolutely incredible that I can relate so much to people's experiences with respect to quitting stimulant medications. I'm a few days shy of my 7 month mark, and the phrase "the night is darkest just before the dawn" hopefully holds true in my case. You're at a pivotal moment in your recovery. I won't lie to you, beginning at the 3rd month, you will start to really be tested on your devotion to recovering. I'm no expert on recovery from this substance, nor am I sufficiently "healed" myself. However, I want to lend you some things that have gotten me this far. They may or may not help you, but I at least wanted to share what has worked for me. 

Here are some tips I've discovered along my journey that may benefit you:

• Exercise. ANY form of exercise will benefit you. I'm not going to lecture you on the physical benefits of exercise, because I suspect you already know moving around more or moving heavy objects will cause your body to adapt to the physical stress thus making you stronger/fitter. However, what's important here is what you're establishing in your brain in response to exercise. You're rewiring your brain to recognize WHAT YOU DO can have a profound impact on how you feel instead of exclusively WHAT YOU TAKE having an impact on how you feel. I'm prone to depressive spells (as can be intuited by a few of my posts on this forum) and the only relief I get is from exercise, cardio more-so than weight lifting, but both contribute. It's not a cure for these depressive spells, but I feel like it gives me some control over how these depressive spells affect me. 
  • Learning to say No to people's requests. Back when I was high on Adderall, I felt like I had the energy and productivity capacity to take on anything and everything. When people would request something from me, I would reflexively say "When do you need it done by?". Sometimes I would arrogantly take on other people's problems without them asking me, because I felt like I was more capable of handling their problems than they were. Now that I am in recovery, I'm discovering that I am vulnerable to burn-out and I do have a finite capacity to get things done, so I'm having to tell people that I simply cannot do this or that they want me to do, or least I will do it later. This is especially true for people who are used to you being the go-to-guy or woman at work. 
  • Meditation. This isn't easy to do, especially after quitting adderall. However, it helps me become less identified with my thoughts. It's not guaranteed to work right away. Sometimes, it irritates me because it shows how easily distracted my mind has become. But that is precisely the point. 

Overall, congratulations on your progress thus far!! Whatever you're doing is working, so keep at it and visit the site often. I, too, would've relapsed by now if it wasn't for this site. 

• Like 2

I find it absolutely incredible that I can relate so much to people's experiences with respect to quitting stimulant medications. I'm a few days shy of my 7 month mark, and the phrase "the night is darkest just before the dawn" hopefully holds true in my case. You're at a pivotal moment in your recovery. I won't lie to you, beginning at the 3rd month, you will start to really be tested on your devotion to recovering. I'm no expert on recovery from this substance, nor am I sufficiently "healed" myself. However, I want to lend you some things that have gotten me this far. They may or may not help you, but I at least wanted to share what has worked for me. 

Here are some tips I've discovered along my journey that may benefit you:

• Exercise. ANY form of exercise will benefit you. I'm not going to lecture you on the physical benefits of exercise, because I suspect you already know moving around more or moving heavy objects will cause your body to adapt to the physical stress thus making you stronger/fitter. However, what's important here is what you're establishing in your brain in response to exercise. You're rewiring your brain to recognize WHAT YOU DO can have a profound impact on how you feel instead of exclusively WHAT YOU TAKE having an impact on how you feel. I'm prone to depressive spells (as can be intuited by a few of my posts on this forum) and the only relief I get is from exercise, cardio more-so than weight lifting, but both contribute. It's not a cure for these depressive spells, but I feel like it gives me some control over how these depressive spells affect me. 
  • Learning to say No to people's requests. Back when I was high on Adderall, I felt like I had the energy and productivity capacity to take on anything and everything. When people would request something from me, I would reflexively say "When do you need it done by?". Sometimes I would arrogantly take on other people's problems without them asking me, because I felt like I was more capable of handling their problems than they were. Now that I am in recovery, I'm discovering that I am vulnerable to burn-out and I do have a finite capacity to get things done, so I'm having to tell people that I simply cannot do this or that they want me to do, or least I will do it later. This is especially true for people who are used to you being the go-to-guy or woman at work. 
  • Meditation. This isn't easy to do, especially after quitting adderall. However, it helps me become less identified with my thoughts. It's not guaranteed to work right away. Sometimes, it irritates me because it shows how easily distracted my mind has become. But that is precisely the point. 

Overall, congratulations on your progress thus far!! Whatever you're doing is working, so keep at it and visit the site often. I, too, would've relapsed by now if it wasn't for this site. 

Thanks for the reply and advice duffman, I definitely need to start some form of exercise as I really have not put much effort into my recovery except for waiting. I have tried meditating, it is very hard, especially shutting off my rambling brain but will keep at it. Congrats to you as well. 

• Like 1

I'm not anti pot in fact done it a few times off this drug each time felt beneficial.But not sure if smoking pot all day everyday is going to help your recovery. I'm sure it may mask some of the withdraw but probably won't help long term. I also work from home alot I find it a double edged sword on recovery. I think people need a routine/ discipline making yourself go to a job everyday etc when you don't have that slacking off is a problem something I still deal with but its been getting better lately.