QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Hearing voices

Bananas431

I have been taking adderal for several years but only this most recent year it has been prescribed. For the past year I have been having auditory hallucinations. It started out with me hearing what other people think and then all of a sudden they can hear what I think. After time, I can now also hear people talk about me all day long. It usually happens when coworkers walk out of my room, and when I'm at home. At first having no idea about this side effect I thought I was psychic. I can even hear what people think when watching tv like actors talking in their head. People are constantly talking about me and I hear it all the time. It's also very unnerving at work when everyone can hear what you think. I had a customer from my side business listen to me all day long so I started saying crazy shit because no one should be here listening. Now I got crazy words stuck in my head and people at work hear them when I say them in my brain which then adds to all the conversations I hear when I'm not with them. I stopped taking adderall about three weeks ago and I still have these hallucinations. I just want it to go away. I tell people in my life I feel comfortable with and they don't even comment. They don't say I'm crazy, they don't say you can't hear people and people can't hear you. They say nothing. I know it's not real but it's really messing with me. I notice when people come my way at work I am constantly trying to find ways to walk away or stand at the other end of the room having a conversation with them. I want to know I'm not alone and I want to know when this will go away. I would also like some reassurance that people can't hear the words I say in my head and no one is talking about me all day long. I just want to cry but have to pretend everything is ok and it isn't. Just want it to end.

Wasn't that on True Blood reading people's thoughts. If you can read people's thoughts you could get major pay working for the CIA. I've been parnoid really strung out on addy but stopped soon as a came down. The only other time I felt really out of my mind was on Prozac and Zoloft if your taking any SSRI that might be playing a role. Hope you can get the help you deserve.

How much were you taking?  I was still hearing voices almost 6 days off the pills in detox.  However, every day the voices got quieter until they became so faint and then finally gone.  It amazed me I could still hear them 6 days out because they sedated me with seroquil and a few other drugs.  

Have they started to get less and less during the 3 week time or still sound just the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bananas,

I promise you that no one can hear your thoughts and no one is talking about you all day long, you're just not that important. Quite frankly no one is.

You're not alone either. I experienced auditory hallucinations from adderall a couple of years ago. I heard several different voices. Some were in my head and some would also manifest from speakers in my TV, laptop, car stereo, drive throughs, and the PA system in grocery stores.

I was a psychology major so I knew what was happening to me, in theory, but experiencing the hallucinations to the degree that I did led me to believe that it was reality.

The voices would talk to me, they would laugh at me, laugh with me...They could be my best friend at times as well as my worst enemy. There were about dozen of them and they would interact with me as well as with one another.

They would also tell me to do things and in retrospect I put myself and others in danger. I'm not going to go into much more detail, as it's extremely long, abstract, and quite some what disturbing.

There were a number of factors that contributed to the onset of my auditory hallucinations. Taking adderall in copious amounts (which I was no novice to at that point in my life) was obviously the root cause as well as an anti-depressant (celexa) that I had just started. Combine that with lack of sleep and social isolation and BAM! Auditory hallucinations.

The voices ceased after a month of being off of adderall which was a relief to say the least as I was able to rule out Schizophrenia.

There's two possible explanations for the hallucinations you were or still may be experiencing. The first being amphetamine induced psychosis, which is what happened to me. And the second being early manifestations of a Schizoid spectrum illness.

In order to rule the out the latter you need to have been off of adderall for a month, which you say have been. So since the hallucinations havn't stopped I would suggest that you either call the hospital or schedule an appointment with a psychological professional immediately.

I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences. Feel free to PM me if your uncomfortable with posting