QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Request for encouragement for those in the 6-12 month slump (or longer!)

NewYorkCity_11

Hello –

I’m wondering if any posters out there have experience with hitting a slump or trouble 6- 12 months in. Ive never posted on these boards before, in fact, I’ve never posted on a message board in my life before but I think it would be helpful for people to hear about how there are sometimes ups and downs in the process and other peoples experience in the healing process.

I have read the helpful timeline here: http://forum.quittingadderall.com/topic/3247-4-years-clean-a-recovery-timeline/?hl=%2Brecovery+%2Btimeline but appreciate any and all encouragement : ) I think other users would benefit from this information as well.

How many of you had trouble still 9 months off?

When did things “really†start to turn around?

Is it reasonable to expect to not feel more confident until a year out?

THANK YOU ALL! Blessings to you all

• Like 1

It's slowly starting to turn around for the better couple weeks past the year point for me. I think reaching that year point was such a daily focus once I reached that milestone I was happy that I achieved it yet at the same time upset I did not feel really recovered. But now I do not focus much on how long I've quit and time goes by faster so maybe recovery seems a little quicker if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Hello – I’m wondering if any posters out there have experience with hitting a slump or trouble 6- 12 months in. Ive never posted on these boards before, in fact, I’ve never posted on a message board in my life before but I think it would be helpful for people to hear about how there are sometimes ups and downs in the process and other peoples experience in the healing process. I have read the helpful timeline here: http://forum.quittingadderall.com/topic/3247-4-years-clean-a-recovery-timeline/?hl=%2Brecovery+%2Btimeline but appreciate any and all encouragement : ) I think other users would benefit from this information as well. How many of you had trouble still 9 months off? When did things “really†start to turn around? Is it reasonable to expect to not feel more confident until a year out? THANK YOU ALL! Blessings to you all

I can speak to this. I'm currently 10 months out and I'm still having trouble. My theory is we enter a stage of hypersensitivity at around 7-9 months where our brains go from being under-stimulated (i.e. removing stimulants) to over-stimulated, sort of like an over-corrective. I've noticed all my sensations seem to have increased reactivity to stimuli. I get ramped up really easily now. Loud, chaotic environments send me into a tailspin which results me turning into a wallflower. To be honest, I've given up just "waiting" for a turn around. I don't see that happening on its own. I find I have to work at it and carve my own path. I have to form healthy habits and stick to them. Do I fail at these habits? Sometime sure, but I hold myself to them. I don't downplay when I skip a workout or fail to turn in an assignment on time. I guess what I'm saying is what you're experiencing, from my perspective and the perspective of many others, is completely normal. Normal does not mean you should passively wait to feel better though. Form a routine (workout, meditate, walk around the park listening to audiobooks, biking, doesn't matter..) and stick to it for a while. I recently implemented meditating 10 mins a day using the Headspace app on android. Does it help? I'm sure it does, but just the act of doing it increases my discipline which, I believe, will facilitate recovery. We're in this together, and I'm glad to see someone else is at around the same timeframe I'm at. Best wishes to you and your recovery.

• Like 3

Thanks - this is really helpful. I do meditate and exercise a lot but I think perhaps finding it is what you're meant to truly be doing in life will be the most beneficial - i work in a job which i dont think is what i'm supposed to be doing long term.

I love all the support and encouragement from this forum. Keep em coming!

I'm 7 months in and having serious issues. This is my first time posting on these kinds of boards too. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of feedback on my other thread ...

Anyways, I'll post a reply in more detail wen I'm at a computer. I'm on my cell phone on an airplane right now (whoo!..). I'm definitely noticing significant improvements each month.

I had a major scare this semester where I was going to fail 2-3 out of my 5 college classes and I was really tempted to take adderall. I decided against it though, and simply accepted that I was going to fail my classes and be in undergrad an additional year, my dreams of grad/professional schools are over with all my failing grades.

Incidentally, I passed all of my classes this semester. Without adderall, big milestone.. gonna read the rest of your thread after I post this reply.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 3:50 PM, duffman said:

I can speak to this. I'm currently 10 months out and I'm still having trouble. My theory is we enter a stage of hypersensitivity at around 7-9 months where our brains go from being under-stimulated (i.e. removing stimulants) to over-stimulated, sort of like an over-corrective. I've noticed all my sensations seem to have increased reactivity to stimuli. I get ramped up really easily now. Loud, chaotic environments send me into a tailspin which results me turning into a wallflower. To be honest, I've given up just "waiting" for a turn around. I don't see that happening on its own. I find I have to work at it and carve my own path. I have to form healthy habits and stick to them. Do I fail at these habits? Sometime sure, but I hold myself to them. I don't downplay when I skip a workout or fail to turn in an assignment on time. I guess what I'm saying is what you're experiencing, from my perspective and the perspective of many others, is completely normal. Normal does not mean you should passively wait to feel better though. Form a routine (workout, meditate, walk around the park listening to audiobooks, biking, doesn't matter..) and stick to it for a while. I recently implemented meditating 10 mins a day using the Headspace app on android. Does it help? I'm sure it does, but just the act of doing it increases my discipline which, I believe, will facilitate recovery. We're in this together, and I'm glad to see someone else is at around the same timeframe I'm at. Best wishes to you and your recovery.

I read this and feel so motivated. Thank you.