Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank B

St. John's wort round 2

5 posts in this topic

Well I tried St. John's wort when I first quit did not get any results in fact thought it made me tired but looking back doubt it was just early recovery phase. Anyways tried it again recently been having good  results I'll update how it goes. 

1 person likes this

Seems at full dosage this week it's increased my heart rate feel little anxiety but also more energy. Similar side effects to prescribed antidepressants but much more subtle. In the UK you most actually get a doctors prescription for St. John's Wort because it can have some real bad side effects mixing with some prescribed medications. Ask your doctor if you choose to take this. 

I didn't discover St Johns Wort until about 3 years after quitting.  I found it to be a pretty good mood stabilizer.  The biggest down side I noticed was the photosensitivity - and there is a warning on the bottle about that.  Don't take it if you plan to be in the sun all day long - it really does enhance the sunburn.  I hate the way it tastes and smells.  But if you need a mild antidepressant, it sure beats the pharmaceuticals, I guess. I never really tried pharmaceutical antidepressants.  I also like L-Tyrosine for a mood uplifter too, although I haven't needed it for a long time now.

Since I had to try something else to help with depression I'd say it does not work. But then again my depression was pretty severe so might be worth a try for anyone with mild deppression. Like Quit-once notes limit your sun light on it. 

I saw your recommendation and decided to give it a try. It is supposed to upregulate serotonin receptors. I am on curcumin mervia 3x, memantine 20mg, p21, noopept, and aniracetam. It gave me an immediate mood lift. 

I'm taking 1 perika St. John's wort 300mg tablet. 

Do these immediate effects last? I just have a better feeling of well being. Less afraid feeling. More optimistic maybe. I hope I continue to see these benefits. 

Does St. John's wort increase the rate Wellbutrin flushes through the system .. Making it less effective?