Beenthere

Adderall sent me to a mental ward

3 posts in this topic

I took 10-20 mg for 11 years.  Low dose.2 years ago I started hearing voices of the neighbors and demons....believed them and ended up in a mental institution for 3 weeks.  Came home went rifht back to taking adderall even though doctor told me not to.  Got it from husband.  I was talking antiphychotics to stop the voices.  Doctors were starting to think I was maybe schizoohrenic.  Decided to give up adderall....as I wantwd to find out what would happen.  7 weeks sober.  No voices.  4 weeks off of my antiphychotic.  Get off.  That stuff ruins lives.  Get ahold of me if you need daily support.  It is possible and you can be happy again.  I urge you to get honest with yourself before you end up where I went.  I am a colkege graduate, a mom, and have been in several bodybuilding and fitness competitions.  I didn't fit the "person" you often see in mental institutions....adderall helped make that happen.  That drug destroyed me.  

7 people like this

Welcome, Beenthere, and thanks for posting today.  My jaw dropped when I read how low your dosage was and yet it still sent you to a psyche ward.  I always thought that going psychotic came as a result of dosages exceeding 100 mg per day.  I am so glad you have quit and are doing well in recovery.  7 weeks is still very early in your recovery and it takes most of us well over a year to get back to "normal", whatever that is.  I wish you good luck and success with your recovery, and thanks for sharing your story.  

2 people like this

Thank you for sharing! I too ended up in the psych ward. In the end I was taking 100+ mgs. I had a full on psychotic break...5150...the works. The anti-psychotics helped me so much, and I went off them a month ago. I am on Wellbutrin now. The jury is still out on what I will take for my ADHD. 

Like you, I also was a devoted athlete. I was an avid high altitude mountaineer, climbing to Mt. Everest Basecamp and the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I did so much great stuff before going on this stuff.

Congratulations on 7 weeks! I am at 51 days today. I still get big time cravings...this stuff is crazy. 

1 person likes this