QuittingAdderall.com Forums

My Story - Trying to Quit...Again

Jan34

Thank you so much!  It's so encouraging to hear that you know exactly how I feel.  I took the last of what I had yesterday and I promised myself not to call my doctor for a refill this week and then go from there hopefully feeling stronger. Thanks again :)

2 hours ago, bluemoon said:

I have so been there. I know exactly how you feel. The good part is that you sound like you are ready to quit! You can do this. It won't be easy, but you can do this! :)

• Like 1

"The truth is that whenever I feel lonely, bored, sad, or out of control, I decide that I need it and go on a mission to get it.  I know that I am better off Adderall and that I've made a complete mess of my life.  When I'm on it, I say and do things that I would never normally do if I weren't on it.  I wake up the next day, full of shame, and need to take more to distract myself" 

Reading those few lines REALLY hit home for me. You're not alone. I was in the same binge crash cycle as you, and I didn't have anyone to talk about this kinda stuff with either until I started posting here even if I don't personally know the other members. My advice is to cut off your supply if it is possible. I told my psych a very broad reason for wanting to quit (and actually lying about tapering as I know tapering would be impossible for me) and honestly I feel a weight off my shoulder. If you can I would suggest starting there. I know exactly how you feel about the feeling defeated and trying to just forget it with more addy. Good on you for admitting you wanna stop by posting here. I am early into my sobriety but I have to admit this website helps SO much. Good luck :)

• Like 4

" I want my life to change but I continue to do the very thing that I know is the reason I am stuck in the same place.  I want to be happy and healthy, yet I just can't help but sabotage every chance I get. "

This is the realization I came to on Saturday March 17th. I got paranoid that one of my adult children was going to declare me mentally incompetent. I had recently moved the contents of a storage locker that held the remaining contents of a four bedroom house I closed when theee of my children moved to their Dad's. My fourth child (a young adult)  lives with a roommate. The storage contents were strewn about and piled high in my now 400 square foot apartment that I live in by myself. I looked at all that shit - the wreckage of my past and the four walls around me and I realized I was never going to get any better, that I was never going to realize any of my dreams, and that i was never going to earn back my self respect, nor the respect of my children if I didn't change, namely quitting the amphetamines (Vyvanse in my case).  

That first sentence holds the key to my new found freedom, as sluggish and lethargic as that freedom is today. "Came to the realization". Yes, something had brought me the gift of step two. "Came to Believe". It was definitely the beginning of the spiritual experience that had evaded me in attempting to get off this drug. The next part of my spiritual experience came after I finished a nice conversation with my son later that same day. I was sitting in the sun - - rarity in this month of March having just been declared the rainiest March in Vancouver, if you can believe that, since 1937. I started researching natural supplements to help get off stimulants and also researching what stimulant overuse does to our bodies and brains. I was horrified, but determined that this was the end of my love hate relationship with Vyvanse. I rode that pink cloud until the next day, and the next amazing part of my spiritual experience.  I was sitting in Starbucks - now not having slept for three days, but having taken my last pill the morning of the day before and this guy asks if I am finished with the newspaper on my table and sits down beside me. I honestly still question if this guy was even human, and felt maybe he was a guardian angel that walked in. He starts steering the conversation towards me: asks me point blank if I have a problem with prescription medication, which I initially denied and then gets to the point where he got me to accept his prescription for my freedom, which was this: "just do step three and step seven every day and drink lots of water". Finally when I was on my knees so to speak and bawling my eyes out, I watched as he was fairly moved, his eyes open wide while I recited from memory those very steps and then  said to him: "can i get an amen". Lol - so I get up get some water, because I am now willing and teachable and go to the bathroom and come back. We stood up, we gave each other a big hug and he walked out the door. All I know is he said his name was Phil. Bizarre and amazing and now I am on day 13 cold turkey - ouch! It's been brutal - I haven't been keeping up on the prayers and water these past few days.  This site really helped a great deal tonight. Holy shmoly I think I am in for the ride of my life. If I stick to it I know everything is going to change - drastic, positive change. I know this and feel this but it doesn't stop my longing for the drug and my lethargy, boredom and serious low energy. I am 52 - almost 53 and a year into menopause. I've gained about 13 pounds already and it sucks. Gaining back my credibility, a life worth living, self respect and the respect of my children and siblings will be worth it, so worth it. I hope I can make it this time. Came to believe - yes! Turning it over? I can turn it over when I come here - my hope comes from all of you. Tons of gratitude and respect to everyone here - especially the founder, Mike. Wow, thanks. Feeling shitty will pass eventually but it will never pass if I continue the cycle of going back. Love to all ❤️

• Like 1