QuittingAdderall.com Forums

What are the parts of yourself you've gained back?

crashandburn

Was wondering what some of you have experienced from sobriety in terms of "getting your old self back"? What were some of the positive things you saw in yourself that made you excited about being rid of this god-awful drug and getting back to the old you. 

I'm pretty new around here and currently 8 days sober. But right now, I'm loving the ability to get out of bed and finish small but meaningful daily tasks that I used to dread when I would crash and just wouldn't do them until I could fill my script again. 

Small but steady steps! Interested in hearing about all of yours :)

Personally I would say after a while I finally was able to have my sense of humour. On Adderall I was a total zombie. Nothing would make me smile. No one could make me not super serious which was sad because all my life before Adderall people would tell me that I was funny and had a good sense of humour. Having fun and laughing and not taking things so damn serious all the time is one of the best things I've discovered since getting sober. I've been clean for almost a month now and I notice the same thing with me as you noticed in your first 8 days and in my experience so far you'll notice more and more of your true self come out so you have that to look forward to. Best of luck :)

• Like 1

Compassion. On adderall i became a sad and isolated human being. I've been sober now a month and a half and i think the most amazing gift of sobriety is being able to connect with people again. That connectionh has been a gateway to a whole new level of conciousness that i was denying myself of as an addict. Feeling contentment is also nice, i was never content when i was using, always buzzing or crashing. Getting in touch with my emotions has been a rollercoaster but totally worth it when you can finally feel at ease and experience joy from simple pleasures, although fleeting and sometimes far inbetween. An adderall high cannot compare to healthy feelings of happiness. 

I've started dressing completely differently, prioritizing my time differently, my life looks much different now, in a positive way. I'm much more hopeful that my future will be a more accurate representation of my authentic self. :) 

• Like 2