QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Ready

rachel7822

Tomorrow will be day 1 for me. I've been getting worse lately--finishing scripts after a week, this month I actually pretended I lost my script and was able to get more, well that's all gone too, I'm on both Adderall and Vyvanse and honestly I'm prescribed so much but I take so much more I'm surprised I haven't fallen over dead from a heart attack. It's been maybe a year. Before this I was clean for a year or two from Adderall, but I can't even remember getting off of it; I don't remember it being as scary as this time is. Maybe because I was younger, now I'm 27, not in school, have more responsibilities etc. Before all that I previously beaten an IV heroin addiction and stopped using Adderall after abusing in high school. I can't believe I'm here again. I got married this month and should be having the time of my life but I guess this is the bed I made for myself. I just know I can't take this anymore and I want to be me again. I feel like a shell of myself but I'm so scared. I'm already dealing with other mental health issues (bipolar, anxiety) and don't know how much more I can take. 

• Like 3

Hi Rachel!

Congrats on getting married! And for taking the first step to quit this addiction. The hardest part is realizing that there is a problem AND then doing something about it. The third day is always the hardest for me personally. I completely melt down. Did you decide to do it cold turkey or have you considered tapering? I know it's hard for us addicts to taper, because we're never quite able to manage the dose. Does your spouse know? I've found that reaching out to someone that I live was key in helping me stay on track. I'm supposed to be weaning myself off of Vyvance now, though I quit addy cold turkey a year or so ago. My dad now controls my medication and gives me one a day. I still have the urge to go look for it and take more, but fortunately he knows the exact number of pills that I have. Also, I don't want him to lose trust in me- so that's a driving force for me not to go looking. I tried quitting cold turkey recently from vyvance and like I said, by day three I was a complete wreck. I have five weeks left of this semester of school and can't afford to fail due to withdrawal. He's a pharmacist and he told me, you have a chemical, physical, and mental dependency on this drug. You can't just get off of it, as much as you want to. I guess it's all circumstantial- if you can afford to detox cold turkey, do your thing girl. But if you have responsibilities that would suffer because the reality is there is a lot of laying on the couch or in bed. Consider tapering. I am in no means trying to encourage the drug, the goal for me is to get off of it. But we should be kind to ourselves and just as we built up a tolerance to it, we have the option to decrease it. 

Just know you have options and YOU HAVE THE CONTROL. You are not your addiction. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for the support! My husband does know, but I don't think he knew how bad it had gotten until last night when I told him my pills were gone in under a week. I see my doctor tonight (I'm also on antidepressants) and I'm telling him I don't want anymore. I hope he doesn't suggest tapering because I just can't do that and if he says it I feel like I might be too weak to refuse. Right now I just feel like crying at work but the fatigue isn't too bad yet--it probably helps that I've been drinking Red Bulls all day :) I may also take Monday off to sleep. Im thinking about also coming clean to my parents because I feel like the more people who know, the more accountable I'll be--but I have to admit I am afraid of the disappointment.

Thanks again for the responses, it helps to know I'm not alone!