QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Night terrors

SeanW

Anyone else experience these often? I've about one a week since quitting about 10 weeks ago. I'll have dreams of being strangled or fighting for my life and I'll have dreams inside of dreams. I'll wake up from the first dream to be in my room thinking I'm out of the dream then some crazy shit will happen and I'll be like there's no way this is real and I'll wake up again to actually reality, at least my reality. Hah also, I'll have sleep paralysis during some of the terrors where I'll "wake up" but can't move but I'm my room and there's been shadow figures, actually defined bodies and just feelings of something there and I'll have to first calm myself then fight like hell to come to.. they're really starting to get old.. I'll go to bed around 11pm but don't get decent sleep till around 4am. From 11-4 I can't tell I'm still half awake and that's usually when the terrors or whatever you want to call them happen. 

Here is the thing on addy you never really have dreams often because you never really get into that deep sleep "I think at least" .  I recall after quitting having dreams for the first time in a long time. I think the  dreams of terror have nothing to do with quitting but having dreams you recall do. Btw I have had dreams of fighting before one time elbowed my girlfriend in the head I felt really bad but she was ok. Maybe try mediation before bed or listen I some peaceful music. Or say fuck it listen to some Pantera and get ready to rumble in your sleep can be fun at times long as u don't hurt someone laying next to you. 

Hahah yeah it's quite the adrenaline rush, lucky/unlucky my gf just dumped me so when I'm come thrashing to I'll just sit there looking around for a minute pised off get something to eat and pass back out. Anyway, jus seeing if any others had similar experiences. Hopefully I'll here Pantera in my next battle lol 

• Like 1

You haven't been taking any antibiotics for an infection have you? My dreams definitely became more intense after I quit, but I was lucky enough to never deal with night terrors. However, I have many friends who got wicked night terrors after being prescribed strong antibiotics for ear infections and the like. Just a thought! Hope the dreams ease

Nope no antibiotics, I think it's just my brain is just traumatized from the two years of literal hell it was put through not from just the heavy adderall and no sleep or food but the emotional abuse and stress from my relationship I was in and the heavy work load. I think the trauma from my relationship and thought patterns took the biggest toll. long road ahead of me...

• 7 months later...

this is a really interesting topic. @SeanW have the nightmares subsided?  adderall surely does a lot of fucked up things to your mind, so wouldn't surprise me in the least that it could result in nightmares during recovery.

before adderall, i used to be a very vivid dreamer, plenty of false awakenings and sleep paralysis episodes, also messed around with lucid dreaming for a while. my personal experience has been that when you are sleeping in a new environment, at a different time than usual, or in a different position than usual, nightmares are more likely to occur. as an example, very early in almost every one of my relationships, i would have one of those night terrors of sleep paralysis, false awakening, falling back asleep right back into sleep paralysis... and i've always attributed it to the change in sleep position- usually i sleep on my side, but when i'm sleeping next to my gf at her place, i'm usually on my back. lol it sounds like one of those things in the movies, but i've had multiple gf's have to shake me awake from the nightmare (because you're trapped inside it from the sleep paralysis).

• Like 1

It's been about a month since I've had one like described above. I still have really vivid elaborate dreams but not really terrors or sleep paralysis. About a month ago though I had one and it was the deepest layered one I've had. I woke up four times into another dream before actually waking up and when I did I couldn't remember where I was or time and place. It felt like I had time traveled which if you get really sprirtual and philosophical maybe I did lol it took me a good second to remember where I was and why I was there

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SeanW said:

It felt like I had time traveled which if you get really sprirtual and philosophical maybe I did lol it took me a good second to remember where I was and why I was there

i love that you consider the possibility that maybe you actually did lol, because my most layered experience had me CONVINCED that i had been visited by the ghost of my gf's dead mother.

so her mother had actually committed suicide a few months prior, and one of the first times i stayed overnight at her house, she made me sleep on the side of the bed closer to the door. so i asked why, and she said it's cause for the last couple of months, she's always felt the presence of her mom standing the doorway- like, watching over her i guess, but it creeped her out. so of course i'm like whatever, i'll sleep on that side...

the first false awakening happens. i'm sleep paralyzed, in her room, can't turn my head or move or anything... but out of the corner of my eye... i see something standing near the doorway. i start FREAKING out, but cause your paralyzed, you can't do SHIT. i can't even turn to see it, or turn away or ANYTHING..

then i wake up. it's the middle of the night, she's sleeping, and of course, there is nothing in the doorway. i calm myself down, and go back to sleep...

i wake up again, paralyzed. this time... it's closer and i can tell it is a woman. i start having a panic attack, can't move at all, so i'm just breathing really hard and fast, hoping that it wakes up my gf who's sleep beside me.

i wake up again, drenched in sweat, still breathing really hard. its still the middle of the night, she's sleeping, and there is of course no one else in the room. at this point, i know it's a nightmare, but it felt SO REAL. i had never experienced anything like this before. i literally did not want to go back to sleep, but of course it happens eventually...

this time, i wake up. again. paralyzed. and the woman is kneeling, right next to me, POKING ME, jamming her fingers into my arm. i totally lose my mind with fear.

all of a sudden i wake up, and now it's morning, and my gf is kind of hovering over me with a concerned look on her face. she tells me i was breathing really hard and fast and had to shake me awake.

soooo, power of suggestion? or really visited by her dead mom? the deeper question here is, is there really a difference? that shit felt as real as being totally awake. for that matter, if there is an afterlife, who's to say they can't communicate through dreams? lol the next year of my life was spent studying and understanding lucid dreams, and sleep disorders and the supernatural. (:

• Like 2

That's awesome. Yeah really, probably isn't a difference. Could it be the mind "hallucinating" or creating our reality which very well the mind could be transcendental into a different realm such as an afterlife or spirit realm. Sleep is an interesting thing. Our consciousness just shuts off for huge portion of the day and in a way our consciousness is you without it we're pretty much useless who's to say what exactly it is or where it goes or does while we sleep. I've had terrors where something was touching me and that shit is bizarre and freaked me the fuck out. Also have seen huge shadow figures off to my side. After exploring these theories for some time I've come to believe a lot of it comes down to the power of belief and the mind creating our reality. If you focus and believe something it seems to come into existence and if you ignore and disbelieve something it seems to fade away. 

Vivid dreams are a common side effect of low dopamine levels. You can google that alone and find medical references. As for terrors I think that is a version of a vivid dream combined with an individuals worst fears, movie choices or past life experience that are altered dream flash backs that get manifested in these vivid dreams.

• Like 1