QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Do you drink off Adderall?

Lillyloo

Good question, I often wonder the same thing. When I first quit adderall I still drank. I didn't even think twice about a glass of wine at dinner now and then because I never had an issue with booze. However, after a few weeks off the pills when my cravings got more intense I started getting serious about my NA program. NA literature is very clear: "alcohol is a drug" and addicts need to nix all drugs to recover, or else we run the risk of substituting one for the other. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed. I quit drinking a month after I quit adderall and don't regret it at all (though I'm not 100 percent sure it was necessary to recover from amphetamine addiction).

If I'm honest with myself, I think the real reason I quit drinking was to feel a sense of belonging in NA. And it has been absolutely worth it. I was so isolated before... like, epically lonely. And I really needed to focus on my recovery. If quitting drinking meant I got to solve both of those problems at once ,then so be it. Wine doesn't mean more to me than emotional sanity, yknow? The relationships I have in NA and the spiritual progress I've made are HUGE pros that outwiegh the cons of teetotaling!

Could I have found a way to happiness that didn't include NA and quitting drinking? Probably. But I was out of time, was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and just picked an available method I thought would work for me instead of waiting for the "perfect formula" to come around. I don't regret it a bit.

Curious to hear other perspectives!

• Like 3

I've never been a big drinker (maybe just early 20s when most of us are). 

I actually can't stand drinking without Adderall, not that I drink much with it, either. 

When I'm on Adderall I feel like they cancel each other out a bit, so I stick to one or two drinks. When I'm not taking Adderall drinking makes me so tired that I fall asleep after a couple glasses if wine. 

• Like 2

I've been drinking more lately and know need to stop for awhile. Relationship issues stressing me out part of why I stayed on addy for so long. Thought being off this stuff would make me kick her out but hard to when she has her own kids and nowhere to go. I fucking knew from day one this girl was bad news but just let it all fucking happen. Btw do you think I'm an asshole if I yell at my sons mom because she never does mom shit , like brushing our sons teeth giving him a bath would maybe happen once every two weeks if it was just her. She plays this victim card all the time like I'm so fucking awful yet she sure the fuck won't move out so tired of this shit.

That sucks Frank. I know you have felt this way for a long time. She has to go eventually, but when will be the right time? I don't know. Sounds like sooner would be better than later but I know that is a hard situation when you have a child together. Wish I could give you better advice. Hang in there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

That sucks Frank. I know you have felt this way for a long time. She has to go eventually, but when will be the right time? I don't know. Sounds like sooner would be better than later but I know that is a hard situation when you have a child together. Wish I could give you better advice. Hang in there.

Thanks blue moon it's now at a breaking point and hate to fight in front of the kids. Its funny her parents know how she is in fact her entire family moved all her belongings from her parents house and into a storage shed said she must move out her mom and dad are too old and too much stress and they were right, so of course she came here and her sister asked me to please deal with her for awhile until she can find her own place , well it's been a damn year plus and she is no closer to be independent and able to be on her own. Hell I wish she could find a new guy to take her in and the burden off me. 

• Like 1

Damn man, I kinda know how you feel I stayed on addy partially because of relationship stress but I'm out of that now. We didnt have a kid or anything but damn, that girl sounds pretty terrible, hope the best for you and that you get out of that mess soon. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, Frank B said:

Thanks blue moon it's now at a breaking point and hate to fight in front of the kids. Its funny her parents know how she is in fact her entire family moved all her belongings from her parents house and into a storage shed said she must move out her mom and dad are too old and too much stress and they were right, so of course she came here and her sister asked me to please deal with her for awhile until she can find her own place , well it's been a damn year plus and she is no closer to be independent and able to be on her own. Hell I wish she could find a new guy to take her in and the burden off me. 

Im sorry. Does she have borderline or something?  Sometimes there are deeper psychological components that can really make things more difficult for both ends.