QuittingAdderall.com Forums

Random Awesome Stuff You Learn Every Day

chocolate is an oil based vegetable. (it comes from the cocoa bean which is classified as a vegetable so chocolate is in fact a vegetable)

Speaking of chocolate, did you know there was a study done in the 90's (ok, probably commissioned by Cadbury's) that found women executives eat more chocolate on average than other women? Therefore, I have based my chocolate eating consumption on this random fact in the hope that it will rub off on me (and not my wasteline ha ha)...

Lobsters are highly developed. They carry their young for nine months and, when left in peace, can live for more than 100 years. They recognize other individual lobsters, remember past aquaintances, and have elaborate courtship rituals. They take long seasonal journeys, often traveling for hundreds of miles. Elder lobsters help guide young lobsters across the ocean floor by holding their claws in a line that can stretch for many yards

• Like 2

Lobsters are highly developed. They carry their young for nine months and, when left in peace, can live for more than 100 years. They recognize other individual lobsters, remember past aquaintances, and have elaborate courtship rituals. They take long seasonal journeys, often traveling for hundreds of miles. Elder lobsters help guide young lobsters across the ocean floor by holding their claws in a line that can stretch for many yards

I am going to forget I just read that because I love eating lobster. I cooked a lobster bake over the fourth of July and it was soo delicious...clams, mussels, shrimp, potatoes, sausage in one big pot steamed in white wine....then there is lobster Mac and cheese...have you ever had that? It is the most delicious thing.

Oh and lobster stuffed mashed potatoes are super good. As Stuffed grilled lobster with lemon butter...main lobster rolls , lobster bound together with mayonnaise and chives on a toasted bun, ooh and lobster pot pie...which is lobster cooked in a pastry, like chicken pot pie but made with lobster instead.

• Like 2

More interesting lobster facts

lobster is now a commonly requested food for prisoners receiving a last meal before execution, but it was once considered poor mans food, fisherman fed it to their indentured servants, and people were so averse to eating it, they would grind it up and use it as fertilizer. Some states in Britain had laws against feeding prison inmates lobster more than a few times a week, as it was considered cruel and unusual punishment, on the same grounds as feeding them rats.

Read here to see how it got so fancy...

http://www.cracked.com/article_17246_when-lobster-was-spam-5-gourmet-foods-that-used-to-be-cheap.html

• Like 2

Dolphins have been discovered to call themselves and each other by name, unique to each dolphin and created by that dolphin. They use it as a way to call out to their "friends and family" in pods and decrease stress when new pods are meeting.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/whales-dolphins/dolphins-call-each-other-by-name-130219.htm

Today I have been cleaning and purging old family files and documents. I found my Dad's army discharge papers from World War II dated Jan 6, 1946. There was a roster of 70 soldiers discharged from the Army Separation Center in Camp Beale, CA. The discharge list had their name, rank, serial number and discharge code. There were also these footnotes by some of the names and I had to go to the bottom of the list to see what the footnotes meant and I was shocked at what I found:

A = air corp

% = foreign service

* = colored

Out of the 70 names, there were four stars. I have been thinking all day " why did a soldier's race even matter?"

That very cute gif of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" reminded me of a lovely movie I watched on the plane this week, called, "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" which is about an Akita dog who was so loyal to his master that he sat at the train station every day for 9 years waiting for his master to come home, after the master had died. It's based on a true story.

Here is the movie (tearjerker, but really simple and lovely): http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hachi_A_Dog_s_Tale/70118677?locale=en-US

Here is the story behind Hachi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

• Like 3

That very cute gif of "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" reminded me of a lovely movie I watched on the plane this week, called, "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" which is about an Akita dog who was so loyal to his master that he sat at the train station every day for 9 years waiting for his master to come home, after the master had died. It's based on a true story.

Here is the movie (tearjerker, but really simple and lovely): http://movies.netfli...?locale=en-US��

Here is the story behind Hachi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

I have heard so many good things about that film! I read somewhere Richard Gere was really upset that movie went straight to DVD.

Here's a few i learned just now.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

The average person falls asleep in seven minutes. (This one i find INSANE. Never in my life has it taken me just 7 minutes. Unless i was drunk as a skunk. Usually takes me at least 25 minutes)

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married. (Escape, the pina coloda song anyone? haha)

The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated. (Was clearly not aware of the vast amount of alcoholic ants out there!)

• Like 2