QuittingAdderall.com Forums

3 days without it

NjennL

Heres my story: condensed... been taking adderall on and off for the past 9 yrs.

Over the first 4 yrs it was only occasionally, maybe once or twice a month to party with an ex boyfriend.

For the past 3 yrs ive taken phentermine on/off that i get from shady diet clinics(im not overweight).

But for the last yr, a friend of mine has been prescribed adderall which ive been buying and taking. And before i knew it, it spiraled out of control.

Before I could take pills here and there, but the past few months it got to where I took one just to wake up, and then a few thru the day, and than xanax to ease the come down and to sleep.

Its a vicious cycle.

Im on my third day cold turkey which i know isnt a big step, but i still have about 20 (30 mgs) in my room and even a few on me right now and I ALMOST took one today at work when I was feeling extrmemly miserable but i resisted.

Side effects from coming off the pills so far are: tiredness, depression, excessive hunger.

BUT, the tiredness comes and goes, (ive exercised every night this week which i never really did when i took adderall), and the tiredness comes in waves but its nothing to bad. I am tryin to control the eating but

i find i crave carbs and sweets badly. But if i put on a few pounds hopefully my new found love for running will burn off the calories.

To everyone here trying to get off adderall or any other stimulants, stay strong!!

Hi Njenn --

Out of curiosity, what compelled you to want to quit, ultimately? Of course, I have my hunches, but sometimes I find that writing out the things that I really didn't like about Adderall keeps me on track when quitting feels like a drag -- which it does less and less as time goes on, I'm happy to say! Thanks for coming here and here's to being stimulant-free.

M

I always wanted to quit but it never seemed like the right time.. Like oh maybe ill quit when i lose 5 more pounds, or maybe ill quit after i get a new job, etc etc. Always an excuse id give myself.

But then i started really researching about adderall and how it works with the dopamine in our brains and my aunt has parkinsons and one day i was just like F*CK this could me !!!

I wish I could say seeing my aunt deteriorate over the yrs would of made me stop cold turkey but even knowing I could end up with this disease, I could never get myself to just stop completely.

I also have depression so everytime I go off adderall it comes back sooo much worse.

Im trying though. I dont wanna be hooked on this forever.

Thanks for your candid response -- definitely good to think about the potential negatives. Since you're coming here and posting about all this, it seems like you're at least really thinking about whether or not you want to keep taking it. Of course it's up to you, but we're here for you as you sort out what's best for you.